• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about cutpaths in new (2020) illustrator

Rooster

I searched the forum and nothing useful showed up. Since I've upgraded to a newer version of AI, the cut paths I'm sending to my summa winplot software are showing up as expanded object (an inner and outer path) for each line. Paths are always set to center line, so that hasn't defaulted to something new.

I did find the fix where you can unclick the "convert all strokes to outlines" in the flatten transparency options menu and it has worked to sort things out.

However, I've never had to do this in the past with AI 2019 and in order for it to work it seems I have to flatten transparency on every file prior to export now. Is this just the new normal in AI where I have to adjust my workflow to compensate? Or is there some setting that I've missed somewhere that's causing this to happen with the newer software that I had set correctly in the old version?

Thanks in advance!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
usually having multiple paths for the same shape is caused by having a stroke applied to shape in addition to the fill. Make sure your shapes are fill only and have no stroke applied to it

Rooster

usually having multiple paths for the same shape is caused by having a stroke applied to shape in addition to the fill. Make sure your shapes are fill only and have no stroke applied to it
I've always used a fill of none and a 0.25pt stroke in the same fill color as the text in the past and never had an issue.

But this is an alternative to flattening transparency on every file.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
sounds like it is converting the stroke into 2 shapes. An inner and outer that are .25 apart. No stroke and just a fill might fix that issue. Also try saving your vectors down to a version 8 ai or eps instead of the default

jharler

In Document Setup, next to the "Preset" option, there's a "Custom..." button. Click that and in the window that opens, make sure "Convert All Strokes to Outlines" isn't checked. I use stroked paths for cut lines 100% of the time for both my Roland SP300V and my Graphtec FC9000 and the only time I've had issues is when I export and this option is set.

mim

0_o
I rarely use Illustrator but when I do I have to assign a spot color to strokes named CutContour (exactly that) for it to be read as a cut line