• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about wide format Latex Quality

Correct Color

I have a L26500 with caldera/easy media and an I1 pro2. I make my own profiles with the basic training I've got from my dealer. But I wish I could understand more all the details in the process. Is there any web site you can suggest I could learn more on the subject?

Honestly...

No.

There are a couple immutable facts to keep in mind:

First is that learning -- really learning -- to make color profiles takes a lot of time and a lot of practice and a lot of repetition. And repetition is pretty key. Because what's likely to happen is that no more often than you'll need to make profiles, you'll probably forget the process from one session to the next.

Second is that most -- not all, but most -- of the opinions and "expertise" and teaching you'll find online about color management in general and profile-making in particular is to one degree or another flawed.

If you're really serious, hire me to come teach you. It'll still be tough and you may decide it's just not worth your time to learn all that needs to be learned, but you'll have Color By Correct Color when I'm done, and lifetime free tech support as well.

Which means you'll never have to ask chuckleheads on the internet color management questions ever again. You can ask me.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide

I don't work on latex machines, I do not sell HP printers and I have no reason to defend them but to me that looks like whoever calibrated that machine just didn't or didn't know how to properly. That graininess is due to inaccurate dot placement for sure. Unless the sample was printed on 360 dpi or single pass to demonstrate the fastest billboard speed, I doubt that print is what HP wants their dealers sending out as high quality samples.

Correct Color

That graininess is due to inaccurate dot placement for sure. Unless the sample was printed on 360 dpi or single pass to demonstrate the fastest billboard speed...

Well one does say 830 square feet per hour 6 pass -- which ain't many for latex.

But VanderJ is right, that graininess is caused by dot placement, for whatever reason. The machine shouldn't do that, even at speed.

Correct Color

Exactly what I am seeing even at 16p, mainly on the lighter colors.

There's a level of graininess that is baked into the cake on the 300 series, but this isn't it. If you've got this kind of issue, it's head alignment of some kind.

ericm

There's a level of graininess that is baked into the cake on the 300 series, but this isn't it. If you've got this kind of issue, it's head alignment of some kind.

On the 370's i don't get that at all even at 4 pass (we build all of our own profiles with the on board i1 and a spectro swing and do constant head alignments) the hp 570 does print faster and better ..... knowledge is power when it comers to guilty output from any printer!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Yeah I don't get this either. I print most stuff at 8 pass, 10 pass for detailed small text type things. I never see this graininess....at 8 pass, a solid color of usually any color is just that: solid.