• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Raster and Vector Image Customer Rant

Precision

I don't fool with this much. It eats too much time and effort. When I get a .jpg or .png. I ask the client for a .pdf or .ai file. At that same time I send it to my vector guy who charges me $12 to vector a simple logo.

I add it into their sign cost at $47.50 and keep moving forward. This way we are not waiting on the client to provide a file they don't have or understand.

When we send them a proof, they are happily surprised and never complain that we fixed a problem they did not know how to solve.

Plus you make a little extra $ easily.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I show them a screenshot of what their provided artwork looks like "at size". That either inspires them to find something better... Or depending on the size/viewing distance... They are okay with it. This issue is an old one... Work/deal with it if it's worthwhile, or print as-is if it's not.
I think we've All gotten the lame attempt with the "vector" file type... Yet not vector... Just the same shitty file saved as something you told them.
The customer source is so relivant...
Office Manager who doesn't know any better... just fix it like a rockstar, you will be their forever go-to.
self proclaimed "graphic designer" sending canva files... Put them to the coals, or print their crappy artwork and collect your check.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
I usually turn crappy submitted artwork into a nice in-house Graphic Design charge. These are money making opportunities not problems.

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
I just tell them to open their artwork and zoom in 200-400%, if it looks like 1980's Super Mario then it will print like 1980's Super Mario!

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
caribmike said:
I usually turn crappy submitted artwork into a nice in-house Graphic Design charge. These are money making opportunities not problems.

That all depends on a couple of factors. If you have plenty of spare time to spend on piddly crap like fixing/converting amateur artwork then, yeah, it's a money making opportunity. When you're busy you can make even more money with that time doing more productive things.

Let's also not forget the fact the customer has to be willing to pay for the art repair/conversion tasks. Many of them believe such work should be done for free since they believe all the bull$#1+ on TV and movies with how computer work is portrayed. Just quickly rattle some gibberish into the keyboard and, pow, it's done. Instantly.

victor bogdanov

That all depends on a couple of factors. If you have plenty of spare time to spend on piddly crap like fixing/converting amateur artwork then, yeah, it's a money making opportunity. When you're busy you can make even more money with that time doing more productive things.

Let's also not forget the fact the customer has to be willing to pay for the art repair/conversion tasks. Many of them believe such work should be done for free since they believe all the bull$#1+ on TV and movies with how computer work is portrayed. Just quickly rattle some gibberish into the keyboard and, pow, it's done. Instantly.
Use vectorizing services, I use all the time, any low rez jpeg can be turned into a perfect vector. Pretty cheap too

heyskull

My biggest issue is with a new app called Canva.
Even my business colleague is a big fan. But she doesn't see the issues it brings trying to get the artwork ready for large format printing or cut graphics.

SC

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
victor bogdanov said:
Use vectorizing services, I use all the time, any low rez jpeg can be turned into a perfect vector. Pretty cheap too

Mileage is going to vary on third party vectorizing services.

heyskull said:
My biggest issue is with a new app called Canva.
Even my business colleague is a big fan. But she doesn't see the issues it brings trying to get the artwork ready for large format printing or cut graphics.

Fans of Canva won't learn until they have to trouble-shoot the artwork in real graphic design applications to get it ready for production.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I show them a screenshot of what their provided artwork looks like "at size". That either inspires them to find something better... Or depending on the size/viewing distance... They are okay with it. This issue is an old one... Work/deal with it if it's worthwhile, or print as-is if it's not.
I think we've All gotten the lame attempt with the "vector" file type... Yet not vector... Just the same shitty file saved as something you told them.
The customer source is so relivant...
Office Manager who doesn't know any better... just fix it like a rockstar, you will be their forever go-to.
self proclaimed "graphic designer" sending canva files... Put them to the coals, or print their crappy artwork and collect your check.
I do the same thing. I will send over what the graphic will look like at 100%. If they are fine with it, I run with it. If not, I tell them there's a fee to redraw.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Speaking of crappy artwork. I have a customer that I just got done sending graphics out for. They buy from me every so often and I send them to wherever they are. They stumbled upon us while they were here doing some work and they just keep asking for graphics from us. They tell me that other sign shops haven't supplied as good a graphic. I find that hard to believe. Because honestly, the graphic is a jpeg that I print and plot. It plots along the pixels but it weeds ok and transfers ok and even looks ok. but when that plotter is cutting it makes me cringe. I have tried to redraw the graphic, but I never find time. I figure, if they like it well enough to keep buying us from us, I'll keep doing the same thing.

mfatty500

Speaking of crappy artwork. I have a customer that I just got done sending graphics out for. They buy from me every so often and I send them to wherever they are. They stumbled upon us while they were here doing some work and they just keep asking for graphics from us. They tell me that other sign shops haven't supplied as good a graphic. I find that hard to believe. Because honestly, the graphic is a jpeg that I print and plot. It plots along the pixels but it weeds ok and transfers ok and even looks ok. but when that plotter is cutting it makes me cringe. I have tried to redraw the graphic, but I never find time. I figure, if they like it well enough to keep buying us from us, I'll keep doing the same thing.
Good deal. Work smarter, not harder.

heyskull

I have been back and forward wit a client over the last week.
They kept sending low quality raster images in a different format.
Magically they have found the vector file in a format I can cut from, once I told them I would have to charge for a redraw!!!
Boils my p*** just because they couldn't be bothered too look for it.
Hours have been wasted and need billed back to them for all the time wasting.

SC

heyskull

I can only say one thing canva.com !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Four times today I have issues with files from Canva.
This is making people think they are designers but certainly is not helping us the signmakers/large format printers.

SC