• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

remove old letters & install new- questions

petepaz

customer wants a quote to remove some old letters that are glued to glass and install new letters. (i have not seen it yet just going by customer and pics)
what do you think is the best way to remove the letters with out damaging the glass?
what are the chances i can clean off the old glue?
could i use 3M pressure sensitive adhesive and silicone to re-glue the new letters on?

Attachments

• IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1294.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1300.jpg
    IMG_1300.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 93

d fleming

I'm thinking the new blade for an olfa knife night be long and skinny enough to go under letter without trashing the glass. Maybe even a guitar string. Cleaning with rapid remover and a sheetrock knife then apply new letters using a few small pieces of double sided tape to hold while silicone cures.

petepaz

I'm thinking the new blade for an olfa knife night be long and skinny enough to go under letter without trashing the glass. Maybe even a guitar string. Cleaning with rapid remover and a sheetrock knife then apply new letters using a few small pieces of double sided tape to hold while silicone cures.

that's what i was thinking. i have removed some auto logos and lettering with a piece of wire or fishing line. my main concern would be breaking the glass. i really have to go look at it and see the condition and thickness...and so on

also it's outside Gino

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've also used very strong fishing line, but that can really cut into your hands eventually.... even with good gloves on. Something else that works quite well, is FLOSS. The stuff for your teeth. All the lettering we adhered to glass was basically interior. It was exposed to some climate change, but never rain, snow or ice. What we've done in the past is to laminate a nice piece onto gatorboard and use the same double sided tape for adhesion to the glass. Outside, it should work, but not 100% sure. Never did that, that I remember.

Moze

There are likely going to be metal tabs/straps on the backs of the letters with tape and silicone.

One challenge is removing the letter without scraping/damaging the glass.

Another challenge is going to be removing the silicone from the glass once the letters are removed.

I know there are video tutorials on removing silicone from glass, and maybe it's easier than I think. But when possible, I try to pawn that off on someone else (building maintenance/engineer, contractor, etc.). Ruining and replacing glass panels isn't something I really want to be responsible for nor is it typically something I include in my scope of work when quoting jobs. If you ARE including it, watch some videos and put a disclaimer in your quote...

T_K

I'd say use a plastic scraper for removing any leftover adhesive. I'd try to avoid using anything metal, which would scratch easier.

Can't say much about the install. Only thing I've personally mounted to glass is vinyl.

Moze

A plastic scraper wont remove silicone from glass, unfortunately. Unless there's some solvent out there you can use it in conjunction with.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, it's gonna be a tedious job, once the letters themselves are off, but I would venture to say a razor blade and eventually when most of it's off, some denatured alcohol and clean paper towels along with the razor blade.

Moze

If done correctly, the glass won't get scratched. But there's always a risk.

It's more likely to happen with tempered glass (which I would bet this is) due to possible particles in/on the glass from the manufacturer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When we used to hand-paint a window or door, there was no concern for breaking glass when removing or lettering it. Come into the computer age and it's a different ballgame, but still in over 30 years, have never broken any glass while removing or putting anything on/from it. Did break a mirror once, but that's because some chowderhead put a little heater in front of it and it spiked like crazy. They never had us back to finish that one.........

ams

If it's VHB taped, use a guitar string and file it down behind the letter. Glass doesn't scratch (providing it isn't sandblasted, have any films on it, etc) so you can take a razor blade and scrape the glue off.
I bet the glass is 1/4" thick so it's not super breakable anyways. Just be careful and take your time, even a retractable knife can cut it off.

If it's flush on the glass with super glue or a vinyl backer, try twisting the letters by rotating them until they snap off, don't pull them out or at an angle, twisting won't hurt the glass.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Once you get it off [the fishing line/guitar string [E above B]/floss is the way to go] then use a paint scraper. The kind that uses a single edged razor blade, to remove the residue. Before you us it round the corners of the razor blade slightly with a fine file. It's the edge digging in that can scratch glass if there's no corner on the blade there's nothing to dig in.

ams

I am so confused, in my 9 1/2 years in the sign business I've never scratched glass with a knife or razor blade.

Did a little digging, here is what I found.

attachment.php

Attachments

• glass.jpg
    glass.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 143

Marlene

they are slightly raised off the glass so maybe double faced tape mount probably with silicone. if you can get the letters off with piano wire or a wire saw or any other method, use a large scaper and get a box of new blades which you should change often. I only use on of those on glass and never have ruined a piece of glass yet but you'll want to do a test to make sure it works OK on that tinted glass. how is that glass mounted? is it an add on to the stucture or part of it?

Attachments

• blade.jpg
    blade.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 116