• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing signs mounted with anti-theft bolts

mikeinpdx

I'm trying to replace some signs that are attached to square channel posts using anti-theft bolts.

There's nothing to access from the outside, other than a pretty smooth top of the bolt. It looks like there's some sort of wingnut on the inside, I'm guess it works similar to a toggle bolt? There's no way to access it inside the square channel.

I thought I might be able to get a screwdriver in the square channel and see if I could remove the bolts with a vise grip and try to keep the wingnut(?) from moving with the screwdriver.

How do most people handle this sort of situation?

mikeinpdx

picture

I meant to attach this image as well

Attachments

• front and back.jpg
    front and back.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 282

Pat Whatley

I'm sure there's a better way and I've only done a few of them but I used a battery powered Dremel tool with a cutting wheel in it to cut a slot in the bolt head. Then it was a simple matter of jamming a screwdriver in the back of the post to hold the nut and using another screwdriver to unscrew the bolt.

Could probably do the same thing with a file.

Now that I think about it since you're replacing the signs anyway just cut the dang bolt head off or grind it off with an angle grinder.

If all that fails just go by one night and run them over in your truck so they have to replace the poles and all.

Moze

Drill out the back side of the post with a step bit large enough to access the nut.

mikeinpdx

Thanks for the replies

Hmm. I was certainly tempted to run it over earlier today.

I think getting a step bit and making a hole big enough to work with makes a lot of sense. I was wondering how well a screwdriver would work to access the nut through that small opening.

And I hate to admit, I didn't know what a step bit was until this post, and now I know what my life has been missing all this time :thankyou:
Thanks!

Moze

They're pretty pricey. You might want to pick up some from Harbor Freight. Their good for throw away stuff like you're doing / if you don't use them a lot.

Then again, a regular bit will work. Not sure why I specified a step bit. :Sleeping:

SignosaurusRex

It's called a 'Liner Rivet' or 'Jumbo Head Drive Rivet' ....much the same as a Hammer Set Anchor...with a wider & flatter head. It is a Lead/Tin composition with a steel center pin. If you don't care about the existing sign faces, you can break the head with a hammer and chisel. If the signs are to be removed without damage to the faces, you can use a hammer and punch or screw driver to break off the ears on the inside of the post and punch the center pin back out. You may need to exert a little force.

Moze

It's called a 'Liner Rivet' or 'Jumbo Head Drive Rivet' ....much the same as a Hammer Set Anchor...with a wider & flatter head. It is a Lead/Tin composition with a steel center pin. If you don't care about the existing sign faces, you can break the head with a hammer and chisel. If the signs are to be removed without damage to the faces, you can use a hammer and punch or screw driver to break off the ears on the inside of the post and punch the center pin back out. You may need to exert a little force.

Good catch.

On a drive rivet, the center pin can just be punched through and then the rivet can be pried out.

Border

Punch the center pin through and out the back then pry the sign off. Sometimes you can also drill through the front of it after you punch the pin out with a 1/4" bit.

Mosh

Die grinder or torch, 2 minute job.