• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

retractable returned for defect

gabagoo

I received a call from a client I have done over 100 retractables for and this one banner I did was sent back because the top had somehow managed to break free of the grippers that hold it in place. I am no fan of this type of system and I had a spare top bracket from a different banner stand that has the plastic strip you slide out of a track with the double sided tape and apply to the banner and slide back. They work perfect. So I did this 3 weeks ago and sent it back. Get a call that the banner has been returned again as the banner has fallen out again. I get off the phone and do a little rant and then drive over pick it up and wonder what the heck these guys could have done to allow the top to fall out this time. I bring it back to my office and open the box. WTF!!, these (pardon my words here) retards pulled the entire banner right out of the stand ripping it free from the winder!!!
No way am I warrantying this. I suppose some idiot just grabbed the banner and pulled as hard as he could cause that double sided tape is pretty aggresive. I later find out that they ship this banner out to different functions and different people set it up which means someone did not take the time to read the setup instructions I always put in the box. What next?

Mosh

Are they good customers? If so eat it, if not tell them too bad and show them what is wrong. Either way make some big instructions and put in the box, maybee on flourecent paper.

jasonx

Gotta love these clients. Once we had a client who put these hot halogen lamps infront of his banners for a whole week. By day four he rings us and tells us his banners are melting.

astro8

Gotta love these clients. Once we had a client who put these hot halogen lamps infront of his banners for a whole week. By day four he rings us and tells us his banners are melting.

lol...or the one's that just let it rip back into the housing....for some boofheads we've even had to rivet the banner to the winder and top aluminium strip.

Bly

Yeah I've had all them.
The last retard ripped all the velcro off top and bottom for some unknown reason.

WB

We get these every now and then too.. Really it's not a warranty issue at all, Like Mosh said if they are a good customer I'd repair the stand and give it back with very clear instructions. I wouldn't re-print or replace the stand just repair. If they are just an ok, client, repair the stand and charge them.

gabagoo

This is a customer of my customer so I am not replacing anything for free. I can't imagine the type of force it would take to actually pull a banner right off of a 1" thick double sided taped anchor. Who ever did this is an idiot especially considering that they were technically borrowing it from head office. One would think you would be careful and read the instructions. I will charge for a complete new stand.... no more Mr Nice Guy!!!

WB

Gettem Barry!!.. we have a company in town that we did a tradeshow booth for.. They sned it all over the country to different shows and someone new always puts it up and takes it down.. I'm always amazed at what stupid people can do...

I think your right to charge them, It's not upto to you to eduate your clients customers it's up to them.. Maybe a few more returns like this and they'll start seeing the light.

encadtech

I just went through this - They were shipping the units as is - no box through UPS. Given the UPS drop test - the endcaps were bulging out and the tension springs were slipping. We wound upselling them on some Expand media units w/ shipping cases. They are expensive but they solve the problems. This wouldn't fix the abuse issue - I double tape the leader w/ vinyl to assure it will not seperate.

genericname

We see this all the time too. We don't use the retractables as we fabricate our own hardware systems, but they include fiberglass struts with fiberglass slots fastened with rivets. It's not uncommon to see these come back snapped in half. I can't imagine any scenario where breaking it wouldn't be intentional or incredibly idiotic. This stuff is way too strong for anyone with half a brain to think it's supposed to be dismantled in the way they do.