• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Retro Logo Design

Joe Diaz

Here's one I'm working on today:

edinger 1.jpg edinger 2.jpg edinger 3.jpg

shoresigns

Looks fantastic, as always. I can offer some critique though:

The Filling Station banner is way too big, and it's making the hierarchy unclear. Filling Station seems to be competing with Edinger's, and if they're famous (or they want to present themselves as such), then Edinger's should be top priority, not Filling Station - and they definitely shouldn't be both competing the way they are now.

SignManiac

Like the color choices and overall layout. I think you could bump up the size of the pump handle a bit more so it becomes a little more obvious? Only minor tweaks but great design!

Joe Diaz

Looks fantastic, as always. I can offer some critique though:

The Filling Station banner is way too big, and it's making the hierarchy unclear. Filling Station seems to be competing with Edinger's, and if they're famous (or they want to present themselves as such), then Edinger's should be top priority, not Filling Station - and they definitely shouldn't be both competing the way they are now.

Actually in this case they specifically requested that we make "Filling Station" larger and more prominent. In fact, one of the earlier alternate sketches had "Edinger's" Much larger. Locally they wish to be known as "Filling Station" not just "Edinger's" and not even so much "Edinger's Filling Station" I think the Edinger's is their way of differentiating themselves from other places around the country also called "Filling Station", but since the majority of their market is local this was their decision, which I support. I guess my point is, this all was discussed, I do appreciate the advice though.

squareba

I think it looks really good Joe, i am trying to design an old style logo for my own company, but you know what they say about doing your own stuff that it's the hardest to do.

Alan
Atherton Media

Tony McD

Looks great Joe!

There was a Filling Station a few miles from here...they used the red Texaco looking pegasus in their artwork.

Joe Diaz

Looks great Joe!

There was a Filling Station a few miles from here...they used the red Texaco looking pegasus in their artwork.

Wasn't the Pegasus for Mobil? I thought Texaco was a star. Anyway was the place you were talking about an actually gas station, or was it a restaurant?

The place I'm working on right now is an old automotive/gas station themed restaurant. In fact the front of the building is going to sort of look like a garage, and the inside is going to themed the same way. The local Pontiac museum is going to help decorate the place with part of their collection since they have so much stuff and not enough room to display it all in their building. It should be really cool.
I would have liked to put a bit more of an emphasis on the restaurant part. An earlier concept had a chef hat incorporated into the design rather than the silverware, but I think this will work great regardless.

graphicwarning

I wish I had the creativity to be able to come up with stuff like this! Very nice work!

The only one thing that caught my eye though, and I can't say why I noticed it because it is really a trivial point… but the shadow on the tail of the S and the banner suggests the “light source” would be top center. Having said that, I’m curious why there would be a shadow at the top of the gas nozzle/handle. I see the necessity to separate the similar colors, but it just jumped out to me.

I'm not suggesting it be changed, I’m just curious if there was a thought process behind that, and if there was… I’m curious why? Or did it just end up that way?

Don't mind me… I’m just rambling!

Joe Diaz

I wish I had the creativity to be able to come up with stuff like this! Very nice work!

The only one thing that caught my eye though, and I can't say why I noticed it because it is really a trivial point… but the shadow on the tail of the S and the banner suggests the “light source” would be top center. Having said that, I’m curious why there would be a shadow at the top of the gas nozzle/handle. I see the necessity to separate the similar colors, but it just jumped out to me.

I'm not suggesting it be changed, I’m just curious if there was a thought process behind that, and if there was… I’m curious why? Or did it just end up that way?

It doesn't have to be there, and it wasn't at first, but it needed something to pull it away from that background graphic. It's not horrible without that shadow, but it gives it the illusion that it's popping forward a bit and makes the pump a little easier to make out. But you are right it definitely isn't natural. It does help though.

ForgeInc

Love it Joe!

I would agree with this feedback, not sure that those extra tiny bits of shadow right above the pump handle are necessary, but vers. 1 is solid. It's great seeing the breadth and range of styles you have...

Marco

Hiya Joe. At first glance, I imagine it's a gas station and food joint. I tend to do research but don't have a clue about this place. I'm missing something here Joe and I know what it is. It's the Stella feel. Bit more to go Joe, yes u can make better.
Love, Peace & Sunshine.

fozzie

Nice work. Classy.
It's probably just me (my wife says my mind is always is the gutter) but the fuel pump handle is too sexually subliminal for me.

I agree about the nozzle shadow looking unnatural. I would suggest a slight shadow running across the top length of the nozzle. Nozzles are slightly shiny and shiny things reflect things around them so you can get away with it.

Another suggestion would be to outline the nozzle/pump handle with a dark blue outline that tapers away somewhere between the pump handle and where the hose falls behind the ribbon. This will give a stronger feeling of depth and will eliminate said shadow. In case my explanation doesn't make sense, I will illustrate.

Attachments

• Edinger 1 copy.jpg
    Edinger 1 copy.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 124