• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Review of the Roland LG-640

ProColorGraphics

Starting to get hope again for one of these. I really liked the print quality on the samples I got, but the issues and ink waste made me hold off. So hopefully they get this all resolved soon. Especially for you guys that already have one!!

josephF

Starting to get hope again for one of these. I really liked the print quality on the samples I got, but the issues and ink waste made me hold off. So hopefully they get this all resolved soon. Especially for you guys that already have one!!
It's the first time I've felt sorta hopeful about the machine since I got it. The print quality is amazing and the special effects are awesome. The ink waste was 100% not worth it before. Maybe now it might be. Won't know until my machine is properly functioning and I can get an accurate measurement. But just eyeballing it versus the previous weeks it's significantly better.

Stormy7

Well tomorrow is one week of printing about my usual amount since the update. The ink waste is definitely better. I don't have exact numbers because my machine is messing up and I have to run medium cleanings to get the heads to print correctly. Dealer is waiting on parts to fix it. I definitely am happier with the waste now. It feels a LOT better. I did a manual cleaning every day anyways, so nothing changed for me besides the ink consumption dropping. I now do my manual cleaning in the morning before my prints start instead of at the end of my day.

It is nice that you turn on sub power and it no longer takes 6 minutes before you can start printing. Now you turn on sub power and it is ready to go. Needs a quick print prep and off it goes. So the manual cleaning at the start of the day makes more sense to me.
Slowly making progress, best of luck!

josephF

Slowly making progress, best of luck!
I'm not sure how much progress was made honestly. When I emptied the tank it still felt pretty excessive but better than before. I emptied it out Monday morning before printing. So I will measure again next Monday and hopefully not have any problems with dropout patterns between now and then so I don't have extra cleanings.

jlgb

Dealer is waiting on parts to fix it.
What exactly is broken/wrong with your LG, if I may ask?

I did a manual cleaning every day anyways
Are your 2 printhead that dirty after just one day of printing? As this would definitely give problems in the long run.

I am experiencing issues with the printer saying "no inkt." The solution (from Roland) is to switch the back plastic around the ink pouch with the black plastic casing of another color. And, unbelievable this seems to work, most of the times. But this whole inkt cassette system seems extremely iffy if you ask me. I have never had an issue with our VS, XR or VG3 with cassettes.

josephF

Are your 2 printhead that dirty after just one day of printing? As this would definitely give problems in the long run.

I am experiencing issues with the printer saying "no inkt." The solution (from Roland) is to switch the back plastic around the ink pouch with the black plastic casing of another color. And, unbelievable this seems to work, most of the times. But this whole inkt cassette system seems extremely iffy if you ask me. I have never had an issue with our VS, XR or VG3 with cassettes.

They are not extremely dirty no, but there is always a light misting of ink around all the print head areas where you wipe with the cleaning solution each day. The machine is just too expensive not to follow the recommended cleaning procedures. I want maximum up time for printing with the least problems I can get. So I do not mind one bit doing a manual cleaning. It takes about 2 minutes to accomplish first thing in the morning.

jlgb

josephF Thanks!

You also, ones a month, clean the glass in front of the LEDs on both sides with a alcohol wipe? Mine have largely got a bit of yellow "hue"on them from the yellow ink.

josephF

Yes I do the UV lamps once a month as well. Usually on the 1st just so I remember. I also vacuum the sheet cutting groove on that day as well. Machine needs a lot of love and care. The ink waste is a lot better since the update. I went a full week and 3 days and it was only maybe a little under a 1/4 in the jug. That is significant compared to before were it would be over 3/4 by a week.

netsol

Review of the Roland LG-640 (2023-Nov) Do NOT buy!

As little info is available online regarding the Roland LG-640 (LG-540 & LG300) I decided to write a little review of my experience with the new Roland LG-640 during the last 4 to 5 weeks.

TL;DR. Do NOT buy. Reasoning.

• Excess amount of ink wastage in drainage bottle. Over € 9.200 euro (> US$ 10.000) a year.
  • The amount of ink you put on the media cannot be controlled/changed.
  • Speed is significantly below the 12 year old XR-640.
  • No deep CMYK black, it is simply a dark brown!
  • The horrible smell.
Our background.

We have been printing with Roland printer for about 25 to 30 years (at the moment a XR-640 and a VS-540 with eco-sol max 3 L ). And we have also been using Roland cutters, up to and including the Roland CM-500. After which we mainly started using Summa’s Tangential cutters.

If you have any questions. Let me know.

1. Running cost are absurd high.

The amount of ink the printer throws away in the drain-bottle is simply unacceptable.

We printed for 7 days straight, after receiving the printer, to get a good feel of the machine. And boy was it disappointing. According to Roland 16 meter a day (52 feet) was printed during this time. Of those 16 meters, I would say about 5 to 10 m2 was completely covered with ink. After these 7 days, about 40 printing hours I would say, the printer had dumped more-or-less exactly 1,4 litres (1400ml) of ink into the drain bottle (200ml a day). At € 130 euro for a 750ml cassette this equals to about € 242 euro (1,4*130/0,750) (1 Euro is 1,09 US Dollar).

The printer also dumps about 30 ml a day in the drain bottle, if you do not use the machine. Based on 250 working days this will cost you 250*200ml + 115*30ml = 53,45 L a year.

Our existing machines do not even dump 6L into their drain bottles combined, a year.

This will cost you 53,45L * €130/0,750ml = € 9.264 every year if you use the machine for about 5 hours a day (production speed of this machine is about 3 meter an hour effectively, more on this later).

The excessive ink consumption completely defeats the purpose of switching from eco-sol to UV!!!

2. No print profile control.

The printer comes with 6 generic print profiles. Of which 5 are basically the same, with little to no difference. Whereas with eco-sol printers you can very the amount of ink you put on the media to a very large degree, this is simply not possible for the Roland LG-640. It will put very little ink on the media (and an excessive amount in the drain bottle). Thus, making the machine (almost) completely useless for printing on transparent/translucent media.

In addition, you will be unable to match (extremely limited in matching) a eco-sol gloss print with a UV mat print (on transparent/translucent media).

The sixed print profile is backlit which a basically just overprint. This slows the machine down to under 2 meters a hour.

3. Production speed of the Roland LG-640 printer.

When in quality mode “General Sign Production” 900x720dpi the print speed of the LG-640 is more or less comparable to the XR-640 print speed of 720x720dpi. About 6000x1300mm an hour.

However, the production speed of the printer is way below 6 meters a hour. Because of the following two reasons, the production speed of the Roland LG-640 is significant below expectations.

One. Due to WAY too many maintenance, cleaning and ink cycles. The ink usage of the machine is simply unacceptable (nov-2023). For small print jobs, the machine needs an excessive amount of time doing maintenance, cleaning and ink cycles compared to doing very little printing. Especially if you do a couple of small prints with white on top or under a colour layer. The machines will spend more time doing ink/maintenance/cleaning cycles than printing!

It will continuously do cycles before, during!?! and after prints.

Every 6 hours the printer runs a maintenance cycle, when off. If you turn the printer on, just 5 minutes after it has run such a cycle, it will again run a maintenance cycle!?! Crazy! I hope they can/will fix this in a firmware update.

It will be about 8 minutes before you can use the printer when you turn it on.

Two. Too little ink on the media. Thus needing to use overprint, way more compared to a eco-sol printer, to get an acceptable end result. Overprint reduces the speed of the print speed to less than 2 meters an hour.

Overall production speed is significantly lower compared to our Roland XR-640. Disappointing to say the least, as the XR-640 was introduced by Roland over 11 years ago in 2012 in the EU.

4. Colours. No black for you!

Printing CMYK black in not a deep black compared to the eco-sol CMYK black. It is almost a dark brown. An eco-sol CMYK black will fit almost perfectly besides a black coloured vinyl but black printed on the Roland LG-640 sticks out as not being black!

Solution? None! Switching to a RGB black gives better blacks (a darker black) on the LG-640, but this is not a solution. The printer simply uses too little black ink to make a nice black on white vinyl. Using a different print mode/quality does not change this. Only using overprint solves this, but this is unacceptable.

Conclusion. So printing a nice CMYK black with the Roland LG-640 is not really possible, at this moment.

The orange and red cassettes create great red colours, especially compared to the poor red colours of the eco-sol max 3 ink.

5. The smell!

The machine sure smells. Much much more and worse compared to an eco-solvent machine. I would strongly advise putting it in a separate room.

Banding.

Machine was installed by a Roland dealer. It uses more or less the same calibration as the eco-sol machines. Banding was, and is still, present from the beginning in most prints, especially on transparent/translucent media.

Print Quality.

Very nice mat finished end result, very nice colours, just beautiful.

3 layer prints (colour – white - colour).

Nice for small stickers, but not really useable for cut-to-shape signage. Our application tape does not stick to this type of 3-layer print work. We use R-tape high tack 4075. You will have to laminate the film/designs first for the application tape will stick to it (which I would not advise given the very ruff/bumpy surface of a 2 and 3 layer print).

It is, at the moment, not possible to print 3 layers in one go. You print, return printer to origin when finished and you print again on top. Colour – white in the first pass and subsequently colour in the second pass.

Regressions.

• Cut force cannot be changed during print or cut. WTF??? This is immensely stupid. It is not present on the main page of the machine. It should be present on the main menu and you should be able to change the cut force at any one time.
  • Cut sheet now requires 2 button presses instead of 1. Like many other actions now require way too many navigations/button presses. Again slowing everything down.
Display.

Does not show force of the blade or have an indicator for the level of the cleaning cassette. You will be pressing a lot more buttons, compared to a XR.

Pickup unit.

You now have 2 different ways to roll the material onto the cardboard tube/core. VERY handy. The new method keeps the material coming out of the printer lose, as it does not put tension on it. VERY handy.

Energy consumption of the Roland LG-640 printer.

Below expectations, in a good way. Specs say 800 watts. But real world usage of energy is much lower. 180 to 220 watts when printing, around 75 to 80 watts when not printing and about 45 watts with secondary power off.

Thus, energy consumption during printing is much lower compared to the XR-640 with the additional front heater. With secondary power off, the energy consumption of both printers is about the same.

The BOFA fume extractor consumes about an additional 80-110 watts when in use. I measured around 108 watts on average during the day.

Cutting.

Unlike solvent prints the printed part with UV are thicker compared to the unprinted parts. Whereas with eco-sol you use the same cut force for printed and unprinted part. You will need more force for the printed parts compared to the unprinted parts. Especially for 2 and 3 layer prints. Thus, media with thin backing can/will give problems.

Other issues of the Roland LG-640 printer.
  • The lip on the left of the metal UV guard on the back bends VERY easily, thus continuously dropping the guard/lit on your “fingers.” Very annoying.
  • Heavy roll carriers in the middle of the machines, crease the vinyl, so (re)move them!
    • Solution. Move them to the sides and flip them over.
  • Media clamps accumulate a lot of adhesive at the bottom. We “never” had to clean the media clamps of the XR-640 in 7 years. We needed to clean the media clamps of the LG-640 within a week (a couple of days). Similarly they are collecting UV ink on top.
    • Solution. Do not use the media clamps on vinyl (cheap Chinese stuff) that has shrunk on the backing exposing a little adhesive. Media will stick to the clamps and printing and/or cutting will cause media errors.
    • It looks like the new media-clamps scrape more onto/into the material and thus accumulate adhesive on their bottom.
    • They are black and very hard to see.
      • Roland please make them Roland blue, so they are easier to see.
    • Move them to the side when loading media, otherwise they will always be in the way.
  • The printer is very dark and closed (they do not want the UV light to escape/reflect. As a result make sure you have a flashlight to easily see inside (when removing/cleaning your media clamps, etc.).
  • The digital display nicely shows the ink level of the 8 ink cartridges/cassettes. However, is does not show the level of the 9th cassette, the cleaning cassette.
    • You will definitely forget to buy a cleaning cassette in time. I expect the printer will not work when this cassette is empty?
  • Printer does not want to print when the drain-bottle is half full.
    • This is up the operator to decide, not the printer, especially when the drain bottle is half!!! full.
  • When you are in the menu you have to manually navigate out of the menu to the main screen or the printer will not print. WTF???

Bugs.

Software (firmware machine and Versawork) is mature. Not a lot of bugs encountered.
  • 1x No ink/cartridges present error, needed to turn the printer off, and printer again needed 10 minutes for maintenance before it was ready.
  • 1x Network error, black screen with white lettering, needed to turn the printer off, and printer again needed 10 minutes for maintenance before it was ready.
  • White not being printed, while it correctly shows in the rip (that it is present).
  • Blade force was set to 50 gr, all was fine. All of a sudden the blade would not cut proper any more (not enough force). Replaced the blade. Still did not work. Increased the force to 100 gr and it cut again the same as it previously did on 50 gr of force.

Conclusion of my Roland LG-640 review.

Problems/limitations have been reported to the Roland dealer and Roland. None have been disputed.

So the printer has a (very) limited usability, only for very small specific niches. I would only recommend using this machine on mat white vinyl (ignoring the cost issue). As it produces a very nice mat print (use RGB black instead of CMYK black in your prints) (yes this will be a big pain in the butt and not really viable).

From an economic and environmental perspective this machine is completely unacceptable. Thus should not be purchased by 99% of sign makers (in my opinion).

Questions? Let me know.
i just started to read this thread.
NO OFFENSE, but the idea that a canned profile (with no compensation for the quirks/characteristics of your particular machine) can produce a good rich black with no shading is ABSURD. build yourself some profiles for the materials you regularly print on. the color will be right. greys will be grey, blacks will be black, YOU WILL HAVE A TRUE FIRE ENGINE READ. AND you will have control of how much ink you lay down.

REGARDING THE INK IN THE WASTE BOTTLE, we are one the same page. if you would like to picket outside the roland headquarters in connecticut, i will split a shift with you.

i often describe my mutoh as acting like it has a hole in the bottom of the machine. and i feel like we should have a bigger waste bottle, if we have no control of how much ink it flushes.

back to the main issue, i think you should work on building your own profiles. i would be lying if i told you that we build a profile for every material we print on, BUT WE SHOULD. friends in the photo industry find it unbelievable that practically no one in the sign business takes their profiles as seriously as photographic HOBBYISTS.

jlgb

Regarding the CMYK black you are incorrect. The CMYK black of our old XR-640 and new VG3-640 out of the box is pretty good. The Roland LG-640 CMYK black is brown. Only when you do a overprint (200%) is this close in saturation to a solvent black (Mimaki UV machines have a similar problem, see earlier in this thread).

The UV machine (Roland LG-640) gives you way fewer "levers" you can pull and each lever has a way smaller "range" compared to Roland's eco-sol machines. Getting the VG3-640 up and running with our most used material was NOT a lot of work. With the LG-640 I just gave up for transparent, translucent, frosted materials. It just requires at least an overprint to get any good results regarding CMYK blacks on these materials. Meaning the machine does 2.2 meters an hour, instead of the 6 we require.

VG3-640 is a great machine. But I would advise on getting the additional heater (we are still waiting on this heater to arrive, about € 3.5K including installation, about 6 weeks from order to installation they are saying). As dark (RGB) blue/purple/browns/black will stain, when not using the pickup unit ("dumping the vinyl on the floor").

I recently talked to someone regarding their 5 year old Roland flatbed UV printer. They bought a Handtop flatbed UV printer 2 years ago. They already saved more than the purchase price of the Handtop in Roland ink savings. Handtop uses WAY less ink and the ink is cheaper. For POS (non-long term durability non-outdoor quality CMYK/CMYK prints) I would advise to definitely not go for a Roland UV machine (based on my experience).

Last edited:

jlgb

I will be doing a small Youtube video review of the machine, and comparing it to the XR and VG3. If you have any questions drop them in this thread.

petepaz

we have had rolands for 20 years and we are also disappointed in the truvis line. the only thing i would say also having an LG-640 is you are comparing it to the XR machine. one is a UV and the other is an eco-solvent machine so i do agree with a lot of your complaints not sure you can compare the two machines. we had one of the original truvis solvent machines and it was a complete nightmare. we went two years of not production because the techs were in and out tearing the machine apart and putting it back together trying to get it to work. we ended up trading it in for a mimaki. we recently purchased the LG-640 and the printing is great and we like having a print / cut UV printer but the real issue we are having right now is the problem with the orange and red inks. they were messing up the print heads so roland developed a new formulation and we are currently running the machine with cleaning cartridges in those slots waiting for the new inks. we had the machine installed in january. roland has really gone down hill in my opinion. seems like they are not testing their new machines enough before releasing them for sale. way too many bugs the customer is having to deal with.

eagleact

Review of the Roland LG-640 (2023-Nov) Do NOT buy!

As little info is available online regarding the Roland LG-640 (LG-540 & LG300) I decided to write a little review of my experience with the new Roland LG-640 during the last 4 to 5 weeks.

TL;DR. Do NOT buy. Reasoning.

• Excess amount of ink wastage in drainage bottle. Over € 9.200 euro (> US$ 10.000) a year.
  • The amount of ink you put on the media cannot be controlled/changed.
  • Speed is significantly below the 12 year old XR-640.
  • No deep CMYK black, it is simply a dark brown!
  • The horrible smell.
Our background.

We have been printing with Roland printer for about 25 to 30 years (at the moment a XR-640 and a VS-540 with eco-sol max 3 L ). And we have also been using Roland cutters, up to and including the Roland CM-500. After which we mainly started using Summa’s Tangential cutters.

If you have any questions. Let me know.

1. Running cost are absurd high.

The amount of ink the printer throws away in the drain-bottle is simply unacceptable.

We printed for 7 days straight, after receiving the printer, to get a good feel of the machine. And boy was it disappointing. According to Roland 16 meter a day (52 feet) was printed during this time. Of those 16 meters, I would say about 5 to 10 m2 was completely covered with ink. After these 7 days, about 40 printing hours I would say, the printer had dumped more-or-less exactly 1,4 litres (1400ml) of ink into the drain bottle (200ml a day). At € 130 euro for a 750ml cassette this equals to about € 242 euro (1,4*130/0,750) (1 Euro is 1,09 US Dollar).

The printer also dumps about 30 ml a day in the drain bottle, if you do not use the machine. Based on 250 working days this will cost you 250*200ml + 115*30ml = 53,45 L a year.

Our existing machines do not even dump 6L into their drain bottles combined, a year.

This will cost you 53,45L * €130/0,750ml = € 9.264 every year if you use the machine for about 5 hours a day (production speed of this machine is about 3 meter an hour effectively, more on this later).

The excessive ink consumption completely defeats the purpose of switching from eco-sol to UV!!!

2. No print profile control.

The printer comes with 6 generic print profiles. Of which 5 are basically the same, with little to no difference. Whereas with eco-sol printers you can very the amount of ink you put on the media to a very large degree, this is simply not possible for the Roland LG-640. It will put very little ink on the media (and an excessive amount in the drain bottle). Thus, making the machine (almost) completely useless for printing on transparent/translucent media.

In addition, you will be unable to match (extremely limited in matching) a eco-sol gloss print with a UV mat print (on transparent/translucent media).

The sixed print profile is backlit which a basically just overprint. This slows the machine down to under 2 meters a hour.

3. Production speed of the Roland LG-640 printer.

When in quality mode “General Sign Production” 900x720dpi the print speed of the LG-640 is more or less comparable to the XR-640 print speed of 720x720dpi. About 6000x1300mm an hour.

However, the production speed of the printer is way below 6 meters a hour. Because of the following two reasons, the production speed of the Roland LG-640 is significant below expectations.

One. Due to WAY too many maintenance, cleaning and ink cycles. The ink usage of the machine is simply unacceptable (nov-2023). For small print jobs, the machine needs an excessive amount of time doing maintenance, cleaning and ink cycles compared to doing very little printing. Especially if you do a couple of small prints with white on top or under a colour layer. The machines will spend more time doing ink/maintenance/cleaning cycles than printing!

It will continuously do cycles before, during!?! and after prints.

Every 6 hours the printer runs a maintenance cycle, when off. If you turn the printer on, just 5 minutes after it has run such a cycle, it will again run a maintenance cycle!?! Crazy! I hope they can/will fix this in a firmware update.

It will be about 8 minutes before you can use the printer when you turn it on.

Two. Too little ink on the media. Thus needing to use overprint, way more compared to a eco-sol printer, to get an acceptable end result. Overprint reduces the speed of the print speed to less than 2 meters an hour.

Overall production speed is significantly lower compared to our Roland XR-640. Disappointing to say the least, as the XR-640 was introduced by Roland over 11 years ago in 2012 in the EU.

4. Colours. No black for you!

Printing CMYK black in not a deep black compared to the eco-sol CMYK black. It is almost a dark brown. An eco-sol CMYK black will fit almost perfectly besides a black coloured vinyl but black printed on the Roland LG-640 sticks out as not being black!

Solution? None! Switching to a RGB black gives better blacks (a darker black) on the LG-640, but this is not a solution. The printer simply uses too little black ink to make a nice black on white vinyl. Using a different print mode/quality does not change this. Only using overprint solves this, but this is unacceptable.

Conclusion. So printing a nice CMYK black with the Roland LG-640 is not really possible, at this moment.

The orange and red cassettes create great red colours, especially compared to the poor red colours of the eco-sol max 3 ink.

5. The smell!

The machine sure smells. Much much more and worse compared to an eco-solvent machine. I would strongly advise putting it in a separate room.

Banding.

Machine was installed by a Roland dealer. It uses more or less the same calibration as the eco-sol machines. Banding was, and is still, present from the beginning in most prints, especially on transparent/translucent media.

Print Quality.

Very nice mat finished end result, very nice colours, just beautiful.

3 layer prints (colour – white - colour).

Nice for small stickers, but not really useable for cut-to-shape signage. Our application tape does not stick to this type of 3-layer print work. We use R-tape high tack 4075. You will have to laminate the film/designs first for the application tape will stick to it (which I would not advise given the very ruff/bumpy surface of a 2 and 3 layer print).

It is, at the moment, not possible to print 3 layers in one go. You print, return printer to origin when finished and you print again on top. Colour – white in the first pass and subsequently colour in the second pass.

Regressions.

• Cut force cannot be changed during print or cut. WTF??? This is immensely stupid. It is not present on the main page of the machine. It should be present on the main menu and you should be able to change the cut force at any one time.
  • Cut sheet now requires 2 button presses instead of 1. Like many other actions now require way too many navigations/button presses. Again slowing everything down.
Display.

Does not show force of the blade or have an indicator for the level of the cleaning cassette. You will be pressing a lot more buttons, compared to a XR.

Pickup unit.

You now have 2 different ways to roll the material onto the cardboard tube/core. VERY handy. The new method keeps the material coming out of the printer lose, as it does not put tension on it. VERY handy.

Energy consumption of the Roland LG-640 printer.

Below expectations, in a good way. Specs say 800 watts. But real world usage of energy is much lower. 180 to 220 watts when printing, around 75 to 80 watts when not printing and about 45 watts with secondary power off.

Thus, energy consumption during printing is much lower compared to the XR-640 with the additional front heater. With secondary power off, the energy consumption of both printers is about the same.

The BOFA fume extractor consumes about an additional 80-110 watts when in use. I measured around 108 watts on average during the day.

Cutting.

Unlike solvent prints the printed part with UV are thicker compared to the unprinted parts. Whereas with eco-sol you use the same cut force for printed and unprinted part. You will need more force for the printed parts compared to the unprinted parts. Especially for 2 and 3 layer prints. Thus, media with thin backing can/will give problems.

Other issues of the Roland LG-640 printer.
  • The lip on the left of the metal UV guard on the back bends VERY easily, thus continuously dropping the guard/lit on your “fingers.” Very annoying.
  • Heavy roll carriers in the middle of the machines, crease the vinyl, so (re)move them!
    • Solution. Move them to the sides and flip them over.
  • Media clamps accumulate a lot of adhesive at the bottom. We “never” had to clean the media clamps of the XR-640 in 7 years. We needed to clean the media clamps of the LG-640 within a week (a couple of days). Similarly they are collecting UV ink on top.
    • Solution. Do not use the media clamps on vinyl (cheap Chinese stuff) that has shrunk on the backing exposing a little adhesive. Media will stick to the clamps and printing and/or cutting will cause media errors.
    • It looks like the new media-clamps scrape more onto/into the material and thus accumulate adhesive on their bottom.
    • They are black and very hard to see.
      • Roland please make them Roland blue, so they are easier to see.
    • Move them to the side when loading media, otherwise they will always be in the way.
  • The printer is very dark and closed (they do not want the UV light to escape/reflect. As a result make sure you have a flashlight to easily see inside (when removing/cleaning your media clamps, etc.).
  • The digital display nicely shows the ink level of the 8 ink cartridges/cassettes. However, is does not show the level of the 9th cassette, the cleaning cassette.
    • You will definitely forget to buy a cleaning cassette in time. I expect the printer will not work when this cassette is empty?
  • Printer does not want to print when the drain-bottle is half full.
    • This is up the operator to decide, not the printer, especially when the drain bottle is half!!! full.
  • When you are in the menu you have to manually navigate out of the menu to the main screen or the printer will not print. WTF???

Bugs.

Software (firmware machine and Versawork) is mature. Not a lot of bugs encountered.
  • 1x No ink/cartridges present error, needed to turn the printer off, and printer again needed 10 minutes for maintenance before it was ready.
  • 1x Network error, black screen with white lettering, needed to turn the printer off, and printer again needed 10 minutes for maintenance before it was ready.
  • White not being printed, while it correctly shows in the rip (that it is present).
  • Blade force was set to 50 gr, all was fine. All of a sudden the blade would not cut proper any more (not enough force). Replaced the blade. Still did not work. Increased the force to 100 gr and it cut again the same as it previously did on 50 gr of force.

Conclusion of my Roland LG-640 review.

Problems/limitations have been reported to the Roland dealer and Roland. None have been disputed.

So the printer has a (very) limited usability, only for very small specific niches. I would only recommend using this machine on mat white vinyl (ignoring the cost issue). As it produces a very nice mat print (use RGB black instead of CMYK black in your prints) (yes this will be a big pain in the butt and not really viable).

From an economic and environmental perspective this machine is completely unacceptable. Thus should not be purchased by 99% of sign makers (in my opinion).

Questions? Let me know.
Wow…this sounds awful but thanks very much for posting!

BVG

Our installation has been...interesting to say the least.

Tech's plugged in the machine and the internal power supply exploded. Took out our power circuit and had to get the electricians out to fix and inspect that there was no damage to cabling etc.

Next day they've got the power supply replaced, inked up the machine however one of the heads is bad - no orange at all and red is half there. Currently waiting for Roland's own techs to come and look at the machine and start throwing parts to get it started.

CanuckSigns

Our installation has been...interesting to say the least.

Tech's plugged in the machine and the internal power supply exploded. Took out our power circuit and had to get the electricians out to fix and inspect that there was no damage to cabling etc.

Next day they've got the power supply replaced, inked up the machine however one of the heads is bad - no orange at all and red is half there. Currently waiting for Roland's own techs to come and look at the machine and start throwing parts to get it started.
Send it back, Roland will give you the run around like they did with my VG 640, they will just send a dealer tech out 2 times a week to take a peck report, and do just enough to say the are "working on it" while the warranty runs out.

If you bought a $2000 refrigerator and the compressor arrived DOA, they would send you a new fridge, swapping major parts on a brand new piece of equipment is absurd and unacceptable, the fact that you get better customer service on a $2000 appliance vs a $30,000 piece of industrial equipment is laughable.

victor bogdanov

If you bought a $2000 refrigerator and the compressor arrived DOA, they would send you a new fridge, swapping major parts on a brand new piece of equipment is absurd and unacceptable, the fact that you get better customer service on a $2000 appliance vs a $30,000 piece of industrial equipment is laughable.
One difference is that the refrigerator is made by a multi billion dollar company and sold at a multi billion dollar retailer while a company like Roland is a spec in comparison.

CanuckSigns

One difference is that the refrigerator is made by a multi billion dollar company and sold at a multi billion dollar retailer while a company like Roland is a spec in comparison.
Why does that matter to me? If anything the Roland should arrive in better condition as it's not a mass produced consumer good.

SlikGRFX

While we’re on the topic of the Roland LG - I encountered an issue today where the orange seems to be the only color printing with a smudge. Dot dropout is fine, but the orange is a bit blurry while all the other colors are fine. Any ideas on what might be causing this and a fix?

Images attached for reference View attachment 168731 View attachment 168732 View attachment 168734

Did you ever resolve this issue?

We have the exact same problem but with red. All other colours are perfect, no dropout, no misalignment. Even the red test print is perfect, but when it prints the red is blurry.
We reported this to our dealer who has filed a report through Roland DG online. They admitted they have had similar issues with red and orange with other customers. We were advised to change to a new red cartridge then perform 2 powerful cleans but this made it worse.

Roland have asked for the expiry dates of ALL inks and when we installed them. Funnily enough, our red cartridge is well within. Only Cyan and Yellow are a couple months beyond the expiry date and were installed on the expiry month (2 months ago). Our printer is less than a year old and it seems that they are trying to wriggle out of replacing the head under warranty due to the ink expiry dates.

jlgb

It seems a lot of users are having blurry red/orange prints. Looks like a big problem. This machine is not close to production ready.

After doing the print-profiles of our new VG3-640, I can match CMYK black and RGB black almost perfectly. Like with our XR-640. From a meter away you will not see the difference. Only at half a meter with the right lighting you will notice it, if you are looking for it. On the LG-640 CMYK black and RGB black do not even come close. Miles apart. CMYK black is just dark grey.

We have 33+ years of files on hand, where customers mix-and-match RGB and CMYK. RGB image with a CMYK black "box on top." Every week we receive these type of files. Printing these .pdfs on the VG3, is no issue, "drag-and-drop". While you would have to edit every CMYK black "box" to RGB to get a acceptable black and end result on the LG-640. Otherwise customers will notice and complain!

What is funny, NOT, is that the XR-640 and VG3-640 have less inkt waste every month while printing 200m2+ a week each, compared to the LG-640 doing absolutely nothing!

If not clear, stay away from the LG-640.

Last edited:

SlikGRFX

An update of my situation with the blurry red UV prints.

We have been advised that the ink expiry date is critical. We received new ink from our supplier, installed it, performed ink renewal, and now it prints perfectly.

Roland have shortened the expiry dates on ECO UV Red and Magenta to 10 months, and Cyan and Orange to 13 months from the date of manufacture. You can work out the date of manufacture from the serial # on the cartridge. The first four digits correspond to the date

Example: 3429G96245

3 = Last digit of the year so 2023
4 = Month so April (number 1-9 are Jan to Sep. A-C are Oct to Dec)
29 = Day of production

The serial # above gives a production date of April 29th 2023

It sounds obvious, but DO NOT run expired inks in these printers. We normally keep 1 spare of every colour on the shelf, but not anymore. We'll be ordering just in time from now on.

Last edited: