• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland LEJ-640 in CMYK mode (4 heads only)?

kristhetrader

Hi there,

Is is possible to setup the Roland LEJ-640 just to run as CMYK with the 4 heads only? That is without the other 2 heads installed at all?

If not, what is the best way to have the 2 extra heads that will not used inactive?

I want to keep the 2 extrta heads OUT of the printer, is this possible at all or this printer needs to have the 6 heads working for it to work properly?

Thanks for your thoughts!
R

Hi there,

Is is possible to setup the Roland LEJ-640 just to run as CMYK with the 4 heads only? That is without the other 2 heads installed at all?

If not, what is the best way to have the 2 extra heads that will not used inactive?

I want to keep the 2 extrta heads OUT of the printer, is this possible at all or this printer needs to have the 6 heads working for it to work properly?

Thanks for your thoughts!
R
Cleaning carts in the white/clear. I’ve had a dead head in my white/clear slot for years. I do believe the board needs something in there, but you for sure don’t need them to work or have ink flowing.

netsol

there is quite a difference between putting a cleaning cartridge in, in place of an ink cartridge & not having 2 print heads.

there is quite a difference between putting a cleaning cartridge in, in place of an ink cartridge & not having 2 print heads.
The protocol on the Roland machines when you no longer want to use white/clear is to put cleaning carts in. I’m very aware there’s a difference.

I don’t have the info if the board will allow it to operate without them in place. If it was me, I’d power down, remove power cord, take a picture for reference, remove flat cables from board and heads, fire up, see if you throw an error. That’s your answer.

cornholio

I'd say the printer works without the heads installed. The cartridges need to be installed for the chosen mode. Either CMYKWhWh or CMYKGlWh.
I sometimes do tests with disconnected heads and it works. But I'm always in servicemode then. So I can't say, if it works in normal mode.

netsol

I'd say the printer works without the heads installed. The cartridges need to be installed for the chosen mode. Either CMYKWhWh or CMYKGlWh.
I sometimes do tests with disconnected heads and it works. But I'm always in servicemode then. So I can't say, if it works in normal mode.
i am kind of surprised, i would have assumed. SOME SORT OF ERROR with the head missing

kristhetrader

Thanks people for your answers. I'll go with cleaning carts for those heads.

Just one last question, installing the cleaning cartridges is just a matter of inserting them and cleaning those heads a few times and that's it?

Thanks for your thoughts once again,
R

Thanks people for your answers. I'll go with cleaning carts for those heads.

Just one last question, installing the cleaning cartridges is just a matter of inserting them and cleaning those heads a few times and that's it?

Thanks for your thoughts once again,
R
Yep! Then just make sure you keep an eye on their levels and replace as needed. I use bulk carts with bulk solution to keep the cost down.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Running it without the heads installed will most likely give a head temp error. It needs to get a reading from the head thermistor and if it doesn't, it defaults to too cold.

petepaz

when we had our XC-540 and the white heads crapped out we ran the machine for years with cleaning cartridges in those two slots. i do not know for sure but i don't see why you couldn't do that with the LEJ as well. we do have an LEJ als but we do use the white a lot and occasionally the clear/gloss

netsol

when we had our XC-540 and the white heads crapped out we ran the machine for years with cleaning cartridges in those two slots. i do not know for sure but i don't see why you couldn't do that with the LEJ as well. we do have an LEJ als but we do use the white a lot and occasionally the clear/gloss
sure, but, running with cleaning carts is VASTLY different than running with heads missing

cornholio

Running it without the heads installed will most likely give a head temp error. It needs to get a reading from the head thermistor and if it doesn't, it defaults to too cold.
This thermistor is only read from either head1, or the black head.
I had a customer LEJ running with disconnected head5 for two weeks without error message in normal mode. (Fixed it yesterday)