• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Pro II with heater problem

Jack Knight1979

I need some help with my Pro II 645. The heater unit on the the machine is not operating properly. The unit has power, and reads ambient temperature, but does not come on to heat to the preset temperature. Additionally, the preset temp blinks like it would if sub-power was off. Even if the printer is on.

I swapped out the heater control unit with a spare, and it performed the same as the first controller. So, it's not the control unit. I traced all wiring through the platen, and main board - I didn't find a short or fault in the wiring. The only thing that I can think of is that the thermistor, or one of the thermostats is faulty causing the error. When I first turn on the unit it performs a self test, turning on the relay, but then goes into "limp mode" after two or three seconds. Clearly there's a fault in the self test some where.

I have never ran across this problem before, so I'm at a loss. Roland techs, how do I check the thermistor/thermostats for a fault? Because the heater unit is reading the ambient temp, I'm not certain that is would be the thermostats. So, I'm pretty stressed right now. I need to get this machine running ASAP.

Please help. ;)

Thank you!