• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP300i Replace?

kelly r

I have a Roland sp300i bought in 2010. My black printhead has needed to be replaced for a while now. Colours print good but I seem to have to clean it more often. It isn’t used everyday which is why I put off the head replacement knowing it will go again sooner than i would like. My dilemma is to fix it or consider buying new. I’d prefer to continue with my machine although it is discontinued and parts are hard to find as I am told. Any thoughts on what I should do? Thanks!

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Personally I'd keep it. They are work horses and easy to service yourself. Although parts are hard to get, 3rd party are easy enough, especially from sign-in-global. Newer machines I'd stir clear of 3rd party, but OEM are pretty impossible to get now for these and most of them work just as well. As for cleaning, even if not used everyday, keep it plugged in and on and just do a simple regular cleaning every morning when you go into the shop and do a manual cleaning every Friday, through it into your routine and it will keep the machine running fine. Do you have a nozzle test you can show. Never know, could possibly be revived depending if it's clogged or actual damage. I find with these heads, after doing a 48 hour head soak, gently pulling with a syringe from the line after the cap top helps to clear up most blockage that the head soak didn't. You can always try Netsol's remedy with 10% acetone mixed in to the cleaning fluid for a head soak, but that's at your own risk.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Those machines have lasted much longer than their peers of the same generation. Parts like heads, dampers, cap tops, pumps are going to be around for a while. The only parts you need to worry about are PCBs and there are plenty of used machines sitting around to steal from. I'd keep it if you like it that much. Although newer printers do have better quality and speed if you need an upgrade.

damonCA21

Parts are readily available for these. All the normal service parts are easy to get. There are sellers on Ebay who sell most of the other parts like boards, motors etc.. all the common things that fail.

kelly r

Doing a powerful clean on it now which I don’t normally do. I usually manual clean once a month and that’s it. Reason for this I know! It has very low hours on it as I still used vinyl more than I should have and I was afraid of it at the beginning! I think I may just fix it but here are some samples.

Attachments

• IMG_4001.jpeg
    IMG_4001.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31

Zoogee World

Doing a powerful clean on it now which I don’t normally do. I usually manual clean once a month and that’s it. Reason for this I know! It has very low hours on it as I still used vinyl more than I should have and I was afraid of it at the beginning! I think I may just fix it but here are some samples.
I'd try a 48 hour head soak, turn off the power and unplug. Make sure you clamp off the lines after the cap tops and then use the tool to lower the capping station, mover the print carriage over a bit and fill the cap tops with cleaning liquid, move the print carriage back into place and raise the capping stations. Refill as needed after 24 hours. Once the soak is done, run a powerful cleaning and see if it helps at all. You can also try the syringe technique if there is some improvement, but not complete.

kelly r

Thanks! Soaking as I type this. I’ve tried the 12 hr soak a few months back so I hope this works! The caps took alot of solution until it sat on top.

Zoogee World

Thanks! Soaking as I type this. I’ve tried the 12 hr soak a few months back so I hope this works! The caps took alot of solution until it sat on top.
Sounds like you might need new cap tops as well, especially if their older then 6 months. After the head soak would be a good time to replace if you have spares in stock.

Terry01

Just replace the head. Lose too much time trying to recover a DX4 head, when you could be printing flawlessly.

cornholio

The black deflection happening on DX4 with EcoMax ink is normal.
Soaking never helped for me, because I think it's corrosion on the nozzle plate.
Replace the head and switch to EcoMax2 ink and your head will work for years. (As long as the caps make a tight fit, the pump works and the wipers are renewed periodically)
Parts should be available for this printer to a while.
Some older SP-300(V) parts are hard to get.

kelly r

I'd try a 48 hour head soak, turn off the power and unplug. Make sure you clamp off the lines after the cap tops and then use the tool to lower the capping station, mover the print carriage over a bit and fill the cap tops with cleaning liquid, move the print carriage back into place and raise the capping stations. Refill as needed after 24 hours. Once the soak is done, run a powerful cleaning and see if it helps at all. You can also try the syringe technique if there is some improvement, but not complete.
It ended up being a 72 hr head soak by mistake. The test print printed red where the yellow shld be so I drained the line abit with a syringe and did a few medium cleans and it’s back. Prints the black the same as before. I remember long ago I put cleaning solution thru the lines to try and save the head but I can’t remember or find the video that shows it. What do you mean when you say syringe method? I am just doing what I can while I wait on a call to replace the head, hoping to get it back. Thanks

Zoogee World

It ended up being a 72 hr head soak by mistake. The test print printed red where the yellow shld be so I drained the line abit with a syringe and did a few medium cleans and it’s back. Prints the black the same as before. I remember long ago I put cleaning solution thru the lines to try and save the head but I can’t remember or find the video that shows it. What do you mean when you say syringe method? I am just doing what I can while I wait on a call to replace the head, hoping to get it back. Thanks
Hi Kelly, by the syringe method, I mean that you connect a syringe to the line after the cap top before it goes into the t, before the pump and gently pull ink through, then do a medium cleaning and see if any improvement. If not, then the only real course of action is to replace.

kelly r

Ok from the black line which I did but wasn’t sure how much to pull thru. Keep pulling til I get nothing?

Zoogee World

Ok from the black line which I did but wasn’t sure how much to pull thru. Keep pulling til I get nothing?
No, as that would mean you emptied out the cartridge. I typically pull a couple syringe full, depending on the size of the syringe. If you've done that and still no improvement, unfortunately, the head is not coming back.

kelly r

No, as that would mean you emptied out the cartridge. I typically pull a couple syringe full, depending on the size of the syringe. If you've done that and still no improvement, unfortunately, the head is not coming back.
I did do that then put a little cleaning solution thru too then pulled it out again. I’ll give it another try. Thanks so much!!