• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP300V - Cutting Force doesn't change

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Have had a recent odd problem. Cutting through vinyl with thick lam (15mm). New Cut Strip, Brand new 60 degree blade, and brand new OEM Blade Holder. I am still cutting at 250gf or so. I did some test cuts and increased the pressure all the way to 300gf - and there isn't much of a difference at all in the cut force.

I have gone into Settings in VW and done the Advanced Options which enables me to set the cut settings through Versaworks opposed to on the front panel of the printer (which I have always done) - that doesn't seem to make much of a difference either.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Saturn

Aging Member
Since that machine only goes to 300 grams, you probably need to do 1, 2, or even 3 cuts. I did 6mil vinyl plus 15 mil laminate on my Summa as a test, and I would personally start off thinking about running 3 cuts >300 grams for a job like that.

Most threads regarding cutting something that thick on a roll cutter agree that you may need to manufacture in-feed and out-feed tables to help stabilize the material, as well as the fact that it would be best cut on a flatbed. I know ~9 sq in stickers could be done halfway easily on a Summa tangential, but I dunno that I'd want to make a habit of it. Especially not for larger pieces, where accurate tracking could suffer.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Thanks for the replay - I’ve only had to do 1 cut in this same exact setup for over 10 years. So not sure why all of the sudden it’s an issue.

Doesn’t seem like a material issue to me - seems like something else since I don’t see a discernible difference in cutting whether I am at 230ish to 300 - seems like it is cutting with the same force regardless of what setting I input.

SlikGRFX

Do you have enough blade extension?
What temperature are you cutting at?

300g is low for that kind of thickness, even with heat. We used to put weights on the blade holder to consistently cut thick material on versacamms. In the end we ran special blades and blade holders.

Saturn

Aging Member
I assumed you were cutting though the backing too, are you just cutting through the vinyl part?

damonCA21

It could be wear on the cut carriage head. With age they can wear out and don't give the same pressure they used to. I would normally suggest changing the holder and strip etc.. but as you have already done that then the next place to look would be the carriage.
On a fully working carriage you should definitely see a difference between 250 and 300

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Do you have enough blade extension?
What temperature are you cutting at?

300g is low for that kind of thickness, even with heat. We used to put weights on the blade holder to consistently cut thick material on versacamms. In the end we ran special blades and blade holders.
Not sure - for years I have always just inserted the blade into the holder until it clicked - same thing with this brand new holder. I also always do Environmental Match before cutting a new set.

Vinyl is 6ml, Lam is 10ml. In the past when I would get a brand new 60 degree blade, I could cut this combo using around 220gf. As time went in - I would creep up to 230 or so. All single cut.

Last edited:

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
I assumed you were cutting though the backing too, are you just cutting through the vinyl part?

No - no marks on the backing too - I routinely always look on the backside to judge my depth. Now 220-300 there is no cutting into the backing. Whenever it would - I would back off 5-10gf but now no matter how high I go it doesn't cut that deep.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
It could be wear on the cut carriage head. With age they can wear out and don't give the same pressure they used to. I would normally suggest changing the holder and strip etc.. but as you have already done that then the next place to look would be the carriage.
On a fully working carriage you should definitely see a difference between 250 and 300

You think cleaning the rail or adding some oil to the actual rail of the cut carriage head would help?

damonCA21

You think cleaning the rail or adding some oil to the actual rail of the cut carriage head would help?
It probably wouldn't unless it is very clogged up, it is more likely to be general wear to the various moving parts of the mechanism that added together stop it producing the proper force. The heads do tend to last a decent amount of time, but eventually they do wear out

damonCA21

And unfortunately the individual parts aren't available to repair them, so your only real option is to look for a good used head. They do come up on ebay as Roland stopped making them years ago.

SlikGRFX

A brand new 60 degree blade should cut through even thick material like butter. The OP said he's not even scoring the backing paper. Check the blade extension properly, or maybe the blade tip broke first time out. Sometimes the 60 degree blades can skim the media clamp which breaks the tip off the blade.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Definitely sounds like the blade is not extended enough. The rule of thumb I use is the thickness of the media and a smidge more. A good cut should weed cleanly and there should be the slightest scoring on the backing material.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Thanks everyone - I will tinker with the blade extension out of my new holder and see if that helps. Right now I am successful cutting with 1 pass - but am at 300gf.

damonCA21

One thing you can check is that your new holder is the same size as the old one. If it is a tiny bit shorter then the blade may not extend quite as far. Some of the chinese blade holders do seem to vary a bit. If cutting at low pressures this doesn't matter too much as you can adjust out the error, but not if you are near maximum

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
My old SP was never accurate enough for multiple passes. A 60 degree blade should be getting you there. A tech told me that the downforce would eventually weaken, but he didn't talk like it would be sudden.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns

Can you elaborate on this?

Would a used Cutting Carriage Head replacement be advised? I used to be able to cut this combo with 1 pass at around 220gf with a new 60 degree blade. Would a bad Cut Carriage Board cause inconsistence cutting force and less overall force over time (I have new blade, new blade holder, cutting strip is fine, etc.)?

Thanks!

damonCA21

It is more likely to be the cut carriage than the board. The boards tend to either work or not.
I have tested used heads in stock if you need one,. and can send worldwide and take payment with paypal. Feel free to DM me if you are interested :)

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
It is more likely to be the cut carriage than the board. The boards tend to either work or not.
I have tested used heads in stock if you need one,. and can send worldwide and take payment with paypal. Feel free to DM me if you are interested :)
Thank you! I just made a separate post about getting a Summa - I am kind of fed up at this point with the Roland inconsistency in cutting. If the price is right for a temporary fix I may grab a used cut carriage head from ya and see if that helps my issue in the short term. Thanks!