• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Roland VG3- 640 flatcable throwout

Are there any other users of the Roland VG3-640 who experience problems with the machine throwing its flatcable out of the gutter when printing ?
Its occurred several times in my machine (end 2022 model) when printing on 50 cm rolls.
Roland has replaced the flatcable and the mylars but it has happened again several times.
Is this perhaps a production problem?
flatcable roland vg3.jpg

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Unlikely, as you stated it was replaced by a Roland tech, but maybe it was installed wrong or placed improperly in the slot. I don't have a permanent solutions, however you could set the printer to go full width, that way, even though your only printing a small area, the head will travel the full length of the printer which hopefully will help with that, it will make it slightly slower though.

netsol

it might have been installed "upside down" or backwards.
the 2 clear pieces are NOT the same length.
i had problems a couple years ago, which turned out to be that the guide (the 2 clear pieces) were not clean enough
clean the HELL out of them with isopropyl, make sure there is a bit of slack at the far end of travel

i got myself in trouble by not replacing all the plastic rivets (it is a pain in the ass putting in old used ones
i have cheated, till the new ones came in by putting a 2.5 mm screw in the hole to hold the guide in place (do this at your own risk, but, it worked for me)

this repair is an exercise in patience (and gives you a good perspective of your own limitations)

GOOD LUCK (mine has been working fine for about a year and a half, BUT NOT the first time i put it back together

obviously be sure your ribbon cable is the correct length to match your guides & your machine

when you are done take an led pen light and watch how the ribbon "bunches up" as the carriage stops and reverses direction

cornholio

The problem is "known". There was a short period with wrongly mounted cables.
I had to install such a machine.
I checked the cable installation and it was correct.
The problem only happened, when the carriage moved slowly at a certain point.
This was the case, when doing the "auto adjustments".
So it wasn't the known problem...
I finally pinpointed it to burrs on the sheet metal guide, that guides the cable.
I unmounted and deburred it and it runs perfectly ever since...

Thanks for your both your replies but i am not touching the machine.
It's still in warranty and Roland wil have to fix their own problem.
I guess the positioning of the cable and guides is very critical and therefore if the
factory gets it wrong then a field engineer will not have an easy time fixing it.
At the moment Roland are doing nothing other than reporting it in the DG Connect (10 aug) and
not making any moves to resolve the problem.