• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VP-540 cut marks detection question

Morph1

Print all
Hi all,

I just noticed there are time when my printer detects cut marks flawlessly and there are some times when it straggles to detect them,
I came across a situation today when I load my laminated media, lined it up so the marks lay right over the cutting strip and hit the base point,
I send the job from versa, cutter head goes right over the marks on the right detects them fine and the head moves over to the left but each foot it jogs the media back about 1/6"
and by the time when the head seeks the left cut mark , the cut mark is out of sensor region and returns back and repeats this cycle till comes back with message could not detect the cut marks...
My question is why is the media jogging back when the head moves to the left to register the cut mark ?
I noticed that a few times....

Ragnabrok

It's scooting the media because it thinks it's loaded skewed, and is correcting for it. It's either your crop marks are fuzzy, the board/filter for the crop reader are dirty or broken, or just need adjusting.

The adjustment is the outlevel check in the cutting menu of the service menu. voltage should read 2.8v immediately after the test print.
the filter (a peice of mylar/lexan film) can be cleaned with alcohol, maybe giving it a better view.
Crop marks should be printed with crisp edges, shouldn't be any overspray or fuzzyness preventing the machine from finding a well defined edge.

Morph1

Print all
Thanks,

I know for fact media is set leveled, the crop marks are printed crisp no over spray or hazing...,
Gonna try to clean the sensor...

thanks for the reply .

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
For future reference:
load the material and make sure you pull on the middle of the material with one hand also wiggle it left and right to make sure the material is straight. Hold it and lower the pinchrollers with other hand
Now do a sheet cut.
Make sure about 2 things: the rubber wheels on the pinchrollers are not lose. ( Check on it while rollers are raised - keep in mind the rollers on the outside has a different shape then the inside. you can't just replace no rollers with the middle ones) Make sure the very right pinch roller is not on the edge of the vinyl. Keep your media to the left as much as you can. If it ever fails to register the rear marks this might be the problem. If the material is skewing and the right roller is on the inside of the rear mark then this will fix your problem.
Uncheck center on media box.

you can also manual register the marks. not perfect but it might work. see manual. You might need 2 people. One to see the cut tup and the little < marks and one to move it with the buttons.

signmeup

I had to replace my sensor board. Now if I get an error it's fluff on the sensor or I forgot to burnish the lam over the marks.

I always use the cut sheet function before I print the job so I can just line the front edge of the sheet up when I re-load after laminating.

Adrian

ScottB

I had this problem about a year ago on my 540. I had to clean the strip and re-adjust the voltage. If you look in the archives under my name (ScottB), you'll find the thread.

Morph1

Print all
I had this problem about a year ago on my 540. I had to clean the strip and re-adjust the voltage. If you look in the archives under my name (ScottB), you'll find the thread.

Thanks guys ,
So far it's working ok , it only happens sometimes, so far so good.
I never had to blemish the laminate to process the marks throuh the sensor,
I used to do it on a summa in pair with mimaki, my roland detects them very well.
I appreciate your replies.
Thanks !

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
The scooting is based off of it's perceived trajectory from the Rectangle bar on the front right corner. Either the optical lens is dirty as they stated or the lighting is wacky.
Try standing in front of that area to cast a shadow and close the cover shield...or turn off the lights. We've had issues with lighting before. Especially if it's reflective or the glossy lam is catching a lot of light.