• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland VS540 - Print Head or Electronic Issue ?

magprint

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone! A few months ago, I purchased a VS540 (my first large-format printer after using a BN20), and recently, I've been facing some major issues that are seriously affecting my business. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated !

We purchased this used Roland VS540 printer about 4 months ago. After reconditioning it, we didn't encounter any problems during its operation. We print exclusively on Oracal monomeric vinyl.

The printer was left unused for approximately three weeks, but we kept it plugged in and performed regular cleaning and test prints. Suddenly, the second yellow channel (8-cartridge CYMK configuration) stopped working. Please see the attached photo :

test-print-1.jpg

Despite this issue, prints made through VersaWorks seemed fine, but occasionally, yellow would cover the prints.
Please see the attached photo:
test-print-2.jpg

After completely restarting the printer, this phenomenon seemed to disappear (returning to the result of the first attached picture), except for the clogged yellow channel, which did not improve.

:frustrated:Two days after noticing this issue, another problem emerged ! a complete misalignment of the prints and a mirrored overprint effect. This issue occurs in both unidirectional and bidirectional printing, regardless of the chosen print profile.
print-1.jpg

print-2-zoom.jpg

Here's what we've tried without success:
  • Multiple cleanings (light, medium, and heavy)
  • Two head soakings for 6 hours and 48 hours
  • Choke cleaning through the service menu
  • Replacing the cartridge for the affected channel
  • Cleaning and calibrating the encoder strip
For the step involving cleaning and calibrating the encoder strip, I also tried reversing the encoder strip to see if it would make a difference. Additionally, the encoder strip test did not pass; however, the values seem to be correct, which adds to the confusion.

We also checked if the ink from the faulty yellow channel was reaching the damper (by drawing it up with a syringe on the inlet tube to the damper and through the captop). See the photo of the new captop after the first cleaning:
captop.jpg

The parts we have replaced due to this issue are:
  • Captop and its pump (ref: 6701409200 & ref: 6000005297)
  • Replacing all four head cables (3x ref: 1000006702 and 1x ref: 1000006703)
  • Replacing the ink cartridge for the faulty channel (i'm using STS inks)
Despite all these efforts, the problem has not improved.
here's atached a CoPeck Report (i dont have any program to read it myself unfortunnaly) : https://mega.nz/file/KVlE3Y7C#_nNGr3nTsmUi3qcHIzF2XvTskZmg7YNgZwt2BE1yqnw

I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions to resolve this issue. Thank you in advance for your assistance !

Last edited:

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I recently had a similar issue with one of my SP-300V's and it turned out to be the manifold on the printhead. Potentially this could be the same issue. I also just found out the other day, you can actually get the manifold for this one head printer for much cheaper then a new printhead. The only downside is that you'll need to do the change yourself, as most techs will just say you need a new head. You can also make sure the encoder strip is nice and clean, however this wouldn't have anything to do with the dead channel.

cornholio

Looks like a electrical or timing issue. The linear encoder strip should definitely pass.
Your test prints seem to have a feed problem. Check the feed encoder disk for ink stains and clean it.
If a complete channel is missing and ink is flowing out the damper, when you suck with a syringe, or see it on the captop, it's most likely the head. If a fuse is blown, it affects more, than one channel.

magprint

Premium Subscriber
I would like to thank you both for your responses. If I hadn't experienced other issues besides the clogged channel, Zoogee World's suggestion would have probably been very helpful, as I didn't know it was possible to change the manifold on a print head. Considering the cost of the part compared to a new print head, it's definitely worth trying. On the other hand, as Cornholio mentioned, the misalignment issue is quite strange, and apart from the clogged channel, it makes me worry about a potential motherboard problem or something else. Could these be symptoms of a dead print head?

According to a Roland technician I consulted, based on what I have tried so far, the issue is likely to be related to the print head. I am considering not only replacing the print head but also changing the encoder strip and its sensor, and checking/cleaning the encoder disk. Since all the problems occurred within a very close timeframe, I hope that changing the print head will resolve the issue. Every comment / help is welcome ;)

magprint

Premium Subscriber
Well, some news!

I am currently waiting for these parts for my VS-540 :

- SHEET,ROTARY DISK SLIT 360LPI
- SHEET,LINEAR SCALE VP-300
- ASSY,LINEAR ENC BOARD SERVICE 1

What makes me say that the printing offset problem comes (at least) from an encoder, is that I now have an error on the width measurement outside the "service menu". Moreover, the head is clearly dead, I now have errors like "Temperature too low 1°C" for a room at 13°C (~55F°). Since the cables of the head are new and I have never had such faults, i can only assume that this is a sign that the print head is clearly giving up the ghost ( involved temperature sensor involved is integrated in the printhead if I am not mistaken )

really discouraging but we don't despair!

magprint

Premium Subscriber
Update : mirrored overprint effect solved.

The source of the problem was the linear encoder. It returned a negative position value for the first third of its travel, and then positive but erroneous values. I solved the problem by changing the encoder, its optical sensor and taking my time to align the whole thing as it didnt pass the service menu test (linear encoder tension and sensor positioning on the head).
I'm still left with the ghosting problem proper, which seems to have an impact on the feed axis. I've already changed the encoder disk and I'm now waiting for its optical sensor. I'll also have to check the alignment of the long flat cables.

If it still doesn't work after these modifications, I'll give up !

damonCA21

My guess would be the print carriage board failing. If you have fitted new head cables, the head seems to be getting bad signals from somewhere in the signal chain. If the yellow channel has failed this will stop that one head firing. The yellow overprint you were getting is normally a symptom of a bad head cable or bad board, rather than a problem with the head itself.

The carriage board also receives some of the sensor values like the head temp from the heads and most importantly the signal from the encoder sensor.
I would look at replacing this and see if it clears up the problems first

netsol

the flat cable to the carriage board would be my guess
on the printer/cutters, those have made me crazy

suggestion:, order that manifold, they are cheap enough. keep it on hand. it is very esy to make a hairline cravk in the manifold, messing with a damper

also, get yourself in the habit to PRINT EVERY DAY. i have a COLORWHEEL job that i print every day from all my printers. (like doing a nozzle check, you are sure all inks are being moved

magprint

Premium Subscriber
thanks guys for your advices. I've actually changed the print carriage board in the meantime. No real improvement except that I no longer get temperature alerts. The head cables are new too, but I'm having doubts about the long flat cables (the ones that go from the carriage board to the motherboard).
I'm going to try my luck and also follow your advice netsol, I'm going to order the manifold, by any chance do you have the part number from roland? I can't find it.

netsol

thanks guys for your advices. I've actually changed the print carriage board in the meantime. No real improvement except that I no longer get temperature alerts. The head cables are new too, but I'm having doubts about the long flat cables (the ones that go from the carriage board to the motherboard).
I'm going to try my luck and also follow your advice netsol, I'm going to order the manifold, by any chance do you have the part number from roland? I can't find it.
i believe i have ordered them on ebay

we used them previously, for solvent printer conversions

looks like an ebay or amazon item is the easiest thing