• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rounded Corners on Light Boxes

jman

back to the OP, polycarb can be jigsaw'd onsite if necessary. no sweat. get a proper survey for your overall dimensions, and just round the corners before you fasten the endcaps back-on.

edited to add: banter is fun. "bullying" may also have some insight worth considering. The world is a place of many different personalities and you have to learn to deal with it sometimes.....be less of a victim and be more clever when you jab-back at people that might just be annoyed with the same reposts of the same questions because they were too lazy to use the search option on this forum.

Thanks Mike and everyone else that helped me. Come to find out my neighbor next door at my shop used to be a wood worker and built cabinets and kitchens for years. He helped a ton with letting me in on how you find the radius of the corner without a template but since I'll be able to take the existing panels from the cab, I'll simply use them as templates and jig saw the corners to match. I have a feeling the corners on the face may be clipped as Gino said or square. I'll find out in a few days and I feel so much more confident already since I have some actual people who helped me along the way to understand what most see as a dumb question.

I had spoke with the customer about there being hot spots due to using a face that is closer to the bulbs than a pan which is formed outward and they are debating on waiting 3 weeks for a pan to be made or just going with flat now just to have it up quicker. Shew! I love you guys, I just like learning.

On a related note, I'm guessing this photo I took of a local company recently, used a jig saw on site for these panels to fit too? Lol the odds of me seeing this huh

Attachments

• 20180824_170215.jpg
    20180824_170215.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 303
Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thanks Mike and everyone else that helped me. Come to find out my neighbor next door at my shop used to be a wood worker and built cabinets and kitchens for years. He helped a ton with letting me in on how you find the radius of the corner without a template but since I'll be able to take the existing panels from the cab, I'll simply use them as templates and jig saw the corners to match. I have a feeling the corners on the face may be clipped as Gino said or square. I'll find out in a few days and I feel so much more confident already since I have some actual people who helped me along the way to understand what most see as a dumb question.

I had spoke with the customer about there being hot spots due to using a face that is closer to the bulbs than a pan which is formed outward and they are debating on waiting 3 weeks for a pan to be made or just going with flat now just to have it up quicker. Shew! I love you guys, I just like learning.

On a related note, I'm guessing this photo I took of a local company recently, used a jig saw on site for these panels to fit too? Lol the odds of me seeing this huh

Always keep a good jigsaw or circular saw on the truck when doing these signs... Comes in handy more often then not. Sometimes I will measure the sign face only to discover that the frame "shrinks" or bends in somewhere down the line and I have to trim a panel. Remember, you can always cut a panel smaller easier then making it bigger.

Looks like the guys in your photo used fasteners on their zip tracks too.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Hendricks Vacuum Forming in Ohio is a good place to get pan-formed faces. You might call them for pricing; they are surprisingly reasonable.

Note: Don Hendricks (founder) passed away yesterday. I never met him, but I talked to him on the phone several times over the years. He worked up 'til his last days; great guy, and like I said, a great company to work with!

jman

That's rough my man. I'll reach out and get a estimate on a 5x8 pan face just to compare to my local supplier. They quoted around $450 per but that was just a standard sizes 5x8 pan with a 2" flange.

Yeah I'm starting to build my arsenal of tools as I go and I was fortunate enough for a customer to give me a smaller cordless circular saw the other day. It had to battery but the one I use fit it. Crazy how things come together.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That's rough my man. I'll reach out and get a estimate on a 5x8 pan face just to compare to my local supplier. They quoted around $450 per but that was just a standard sizes 5x8 pan with a 2" flange.

Yeah I'm starting to build my arsenal of tools as I go and I was fortunate enough for a customer to give me a smaller cordless circular saw the other day. It had to battery but the one I use fit it. Crazy how things come together.

It's not crazy, there is a book about it.

jman

Well jman I am truly impressed with your enthusiasm for learning the sign trade. I have the utmost respect for you wanting to learn new things.

Thank you, I'm not sure if its sarcasm or not but I'll treat it as not lol

Idk guys, I'm going through a divorce as of 6 weeks ago and it's a very hard time for me so I'm truly trying to keep food on the table for my little girl so I have to ask questions that sound silly sometimes just so I can grow my knowledge base. I could go on all day about stuff but sometimes people don't understand why people do what they do until they understand that person a bit better. ‍:confused:

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Thank you, I'm not sure if its sarcasm or not but I'll treat it as not lol

Idk guys, I'm going through a divorce as of 6 weeks ago and it's a very hard time for me so I'm truly trying to keep food on the table for my little girl so I have to ask questions that sound silly sometimes just so I can grow my knowledge base. I could go on all day about stuff but sometimes people don't understand why people do what they do until they understand that person a bit better. ‍:confused:
Ugh. Sorry that you're having to deal with that.
And best of luck in your endeavor to be the Sign Master whose "silly" questions were answered here and allowed you greater opportunity to better your craft and to provide for your little girl. Cheers dude.

SignsSupport