• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Running two GS Plotters from one computer - simultaneously

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Just wondering if it's possible to run two Gerber GS15 plotters from the same computer simultaneously. The GS15 is connected to the serial port, and I would connect the GS15 Plus to a USB port.

I'm using SignLab and it will allow me to open multiple instances (windows), so I don't see that as being a problem. But my real questions is whether or now I can open two plot spoolers at the same time.

I have stand alone SignLab8 and 9, so I'm also wondering if I can run one of each at the same time so they could each drive a plotter.

If worse comes to worse, I could spring for a laptop and run them individually.

Jim

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We don't have SignLab, but when we had Gerber software, ANAgraph software and Flexi it was possible to run two Gerber plotters at the same time doing totally different jobs.

I think Gerber did it automatically, while with the other programs, we had to rewrite some batch commands in DOS and then it worked swimmingly.

Don't ask me how to write batch commands. That's wa-a-a-ay beyond me. I just know it worked.

James Burke

For $99, I can order a usb adapter that will allow me to give it a try. My biggest concern is the same plot spooler being able to communicate with two plotters at the same time. I hate to buy another computer to do this, but I will if I need to.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have another SL program I can load. That application would have its own spooler, and I have to believe that will do the job...but I might be wrong here.

I have a call into CADLink tech. support, so hopefully they can give me some direction.

Thanks,

Jim

James Burke

SignLab 9 has the Visual Production Manager (VPM)...I'm thinking that will do the trick. I haven't played with that feature yet, but I'm pretty sure it's what I'm looking for...more later.

JB

Mosh

I do it with SignLab 9, I don't use the plot spooler. I just open a second signlab and do it like normal, just make sure you have the right plotter selected. I have not used a plot spooler since Signlab 4.5, years ago.

James Burke

I do it with SignLab 9, I don't use the plot spooler. I just open a second signlab and do it like normal, just make sure you have the right plotter selected. I have not used a plot spooler since Signlab 4.5, years ago.

I was thinking of that also. Thanks for the insight.

Jim

James Burke

CADLink tech support informed me that I can use the Visual Production Manager to operate multiple cutters.

Mosh...from what I understand about your method, you have to continually switch devices everytime you open a new SignLab window? (if it doesn't default to your designated device)

It seems once the VPM is setup, all I need to do is select which cutter each file goes to without having to constantly switch devices AND ports in the setup menu of SignLab. (with the VPM, each device and driver are permanently assigned their own ports...very handy, indeed)

I use the plot spooler because the Gerber GS plotters don't have any RAM capacity.

JB

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
I have run three plotters and an inkjet printer all at the same time (It was fun to hear all those machines going at once.) Using Gerber software. And also using Flexi.