• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rust Patina Wrap how to

kheebl

I saw this the other day on facebook and I like the look and was wondering how to accomplish the rusty patina look. I don't do wraps at all but though it would be something neat to learn how to do that effect. Is there some sort of PS filter to accomplish this, I tried out the alien skin eye candy and I saw it had a rust effect but it was nothing like whats pictured.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4858.JPG
    IMG_4858.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 27,043
  • IMG_4859.JPG
    IMG_4859.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 5,882
  • IMG_4860.jpg
    IMG_4860.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 18,765
  • IMG_4861.jpg
    IMG_4861.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 9,201

heyskull

Yes I agree this is some sort of plug in but their has been a lot of artwork sourced for this vehicle.
By the looks of things the artwork has had many hours spent on it to get the rust and signs of age in extly the right place.

My only issue with this particular wrap is its glossy finish.
It would have looked stunning in matte finish to give an authentic look.

SC

S'N'S

Yes I agree this is some sort of plug in but their has been a lot of artwork sourced for this vehicle.
By the looks of things the artwork has had many hours spent on it to get the rust and signs of age in extly the right place.

My only issue with this particular wrap is its glossy finish.
It would have looked stunning in matte finish to give an authentic look.

SC
Totaly agree with this, matte would have been better, why try to make it look old and weathered and then have a gloss finish.

rjssigns

"Build" your rust texture in Ps. Get Ron's Grunge Brushes(can't remember what the set is called)but it will have edges, corners etc... He also has fastener and scratch brushes. Use rust texture to "color" brush. You can get a lot of variation using the brush controls and blending modes.

Another thing I've done is take high res photos of rust, grunge, and scratches. Manipulate in Ps and use blending modes.

All of the above sounds complicated, but it isn't.

Christian @ 2CT Media

The reason why it's glossy is because the current trend is to preserve the patina of old cars by clear coating over it typically with a gloss.

I think it looks great and they did a good job with the rust locations and look.

B Snyder

I get the idea but I'm not a fan of the gloss.
Also, in some areas, the rust doesn't look natural where the body panels match up. It's as if each panel was removed from the car and placed separately in a field to rust and then later reattached to the car.

kheebl

"Build" your rust texture in Ps. Get Ron's Grunge Brushes(can't remember what the set is called)but it will have edges, corners etc... He also has fastener and scratch brushes. Use rust texture to "color" brush. You can get a lot of variation using the brush controls and blending modes.

Another thing I've done is take high res photos of rust, grunge, and scratches. Manipulate in Ps and use blending modes.

All of the above sounds complicated, but it isn't.

Thanks, I will give that a try. I did stumble across some rust texture brushes of his.