• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

s80600 warping prints

jharler

The technician took measurements and there's a bow in the rails that the print head travels on. It's not something they can fix in the field.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
That's crazy that she have to replace the whole printer versus a field repair. Looking at the assembly in our Epson it sure seems like it would be replaceable but who knows. We had to replace the rail in our 63" Roland at one point and it wasn't fun at all but it was doable. Different sort of rail though.

Tai

jharler

He told me that they would need to put the whole assembly on some sort of laser alignment jig in order to properly repair it. My new printer should be arriving tomorrow. I'll post an update once it's installed and printing.

jharler

Okay, so my new printer arrived Friday. This was supposed to be white-glove, but they only sent two guys to deliver it and they had no idea how to assemble it, so I had to spend several hours unpacking and assembling the new printer. Once the old printer was removed and the new printer had the inks installed and everything was setup, I printed and cut my test file and... this printer has the same problem. It's not quite as severe, but it's still there. At this point, I need to find a way to work around it for the jobs that will be affected by it. It took 3 and a half months to get this far and I'm done with tech support.

tudouqiezi

Finally saw your new message.

I've been looking for a solution for the past few days as well, and after adding the horizontal markers, things are much better. It's not perfect, but it's much better than the 3 mm or more offsets I was getting before.

ikarasu

Okay, so my new printer arrived Friday. This was supposed to be white-glove, but they only sent two guys to deliver it and they had no idea how to assemble it, so I had to spend several hours unpacking and assembling the new printer. Once the old printer was removed and the new printer had the inks installed and everything was setup, I printed and cut my test file and... this printer has the same problem. It's not quite as severe, but it's still there. At this point, I need to find a way to work around it for the jobs that will be affected by it. It took 3 and a half months to get this far and I'm done with tech support.
Are you sure its the printer? I know you printed a line and put your straight edge on it - but straight edges arent perfect... My aluminum one is a bit warped and the center is a hair lower than the edges.

I only ask because we have the same issue with our graphtec. It'll cut the midle out / start to drift - However we've tried 4 different printers, 2 different shops, the tech has the graphtec and reproduced it on his own printers as well - It starts to cut fine...then drifts and bows in the middle. 1 out of 5 attempts it'll cut the whole sheet perfectly fine.

I was worried it was the printer too, but I feel like the FC9000 series of cutters have a glitch, or bad quality control - Our second cutter cuts better, but still isn't perfect.... our 8600 is hairline accurate. So I'm not sure if the 9000 just doesnt do compensation properly or what... but we've tested our printers a dozen different ways to see if its warping, and its not.

Get some clear media - Something like 3M 8518 if you dont have clear... Print a few rows of the same graphic, with the cutline stroke visible - fold your media in half and see if they all align perfectly. Then cut the second row off... Start at the mid and align it to the left of the first row, see if that matches...

For us it did, and kind of says the printer is printing consistantly spaced, and nothing is warping. Then if you send it through the graphtec and fold it in half... the cut marks dont align perfectly, they start to shift. Thats why I think its the compensation in the FC9000 thats having issues....yours could be different, but the above test on clear media is a good one to try out just to rule it out.

Another test we did was print a 52" Wide ruler with Ticks in it, and compared it to a meter stick... Every tick was surprisingly accurate, both length and width wise.

jharler

I tried using the segmented registration marks before and couldn't getting them to work going in the direction I would need them to, either through Onyx or directly in Cutting Master. I'll look into it again though.

I'm pretty certain it's the printer. I printed the exact same file that I had been testing with on my Roland SP300V and it cut perfectly. I used a precision ground straightedge to test, in addition to my 36" cutting straightedge, both showed the same bow in the print. I had found the thread where you discussed your issues with your Graphtec, which is why I spent a couple weeks investigating and working with Graphtec support before coming to the conclusion that it's the printer. The fact that the issue isn't as pronounced with the new printer also lends credence to that conclusion.

I've done some tests with printing some stickers and cut line offset is still noticeable when the artwork is very close to the cut line, but not noticeable when there's a 1/8" or so border. It's about .02" off in the middle when the edges are cut perfectly. I can more precisely line up the cut lines if I print files at half width that do not span the middle of the printer, so I can work around the issue in the instances where tight cut line precision is necessary.

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Thanks!