• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sandblast Rubber

RiXaX

For many years my choice of rubber has been the Anchor 116. We go through about a roll a month. The powder they put on the surface needs to be washed off before applying app tape. We've been triple washing and still not getting app tape to stick well enough to generate the transfer. Yesterday I was spraying 3M 77 on the rubber to get the job done. Anyone else wrestling with this?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
For many years my choice of rubber has been the Anchor 116. We go through about a roll a month. The powder they put on the surface needs to be washed off before applying app tape. We've been triple washing and still not getting app tape to stick well enough to generate the transfer. Yesterday I was spraying 3M 77 on the rubber to get the job done. Anyone else wrestling with this?

I also use Anchor 116, and I just wipe it down once with a damp cloth (water only), and pat it dry with a towel. I use the flour-sack cotton towels since they seem to absorb water better.

I use Conform 4075 RLA transfer tape, and it works wonders. Only apply the transfer tape just before use, otherwise it's tough to remove after it's been on for a while. You can blast through it, so long as you make sure to watch for areas that tend to gum up and prevent the abrasive from breaking through.

JB

RiXaX

I've always done what you do, only his time it isn't working. We tried three different rolls of transfer paper, thinking it might be a bum roll. The same stuff works perfectly with vinyl. Used a sponge to wipe it down and the powder would clog the sponge. That's why we did a triple wipe down. Oh, I see that the side note calls me a new member. I've been using this site since Fred started it.

James Burke

I've always done what you do, only his time it isn't working. We tried three different rolls of transfer paper, thinking it might be a bum roll. The same stuff works perfectly with vinyl. Used a sponge to wipe it down and the powder would clog the sponge. That's why we did a triple wipe down. Oh, I see that the side note calls me a new member. I've been using this site since Fred started it.
How long ago did you purchase your roll of Ancor 116?

JB

RiXaX

Less than a month ago. That stuff is getting hard to find. I like to buy 30" rolls. Seems to be the most practical for us.

James Burke

we use redwood and ceramic and porcelain tiles
Using the Conform 4075 RLA on redwood may pose issues if don't get the stencil bonded well. It is high tack, so you'll need to make sure you pull it at 180 degrees. Again, only apply the transfer tape just prior to laying down the stencil to avoid removal issues.

JB

RiXaX

Using the Conform 4075 RLA on redwood may pose issues if don't get the stencil bonded well. It is high tack, so you'll need to make sure you pull it at 180 degrees. Again, only apply the transfer tape just prior to laying down the stencil to avoid removal issues.

JB
That poses another problem. I'm getting signs together for a few weeks before I go into the sandblast booth to blast. When I fire up the equipment I want to have enough to blast to keep me there for a goo part of the day. I don't like suiting up frequently. We're cutting rubber and weeding and putting on app tape for days prior to applying it to the wood or stones. One friend suggested a quick spray of shellac may fix the problem. I hope it's only with this one roll though.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Years ago, we did a lotta sandblasting and from time to time, more dust would be on some rolls more than others. We started using duct tape, instead of application tape. That did the trick. We wouldn't weed it till the entire sheet was on the substrate. We mostly used vertical grain redwood and some cedar. A good friend of mine did monuments and duct tape is ALL they used. Again, they mostly put the mask on the stones and hand-cut the rubber on the stone. When we did 20' redwood signs, the application tape was next to impossible. Before going to the duct tape, we tried heating the application tape up and that did work to a small degree on smaller signs/areas.

edit: and we criss-crossed the duct tape for better adhesion/pull.

RiXaX

Years ago, we did a lotta sandblasting and from time to time, more dust would be on some rolls more than others. We started using duct tape, instead of application tape. That did the trick. We wouldn't weed it till the entire sheet was on the substrate. We mostly used vertical grain redwood and some cedar. A good friend of mine did monuments and duct tape is ALL they used. Again, they mostly put the mask on the stones and hand-cut the rubber on the stone. When we did 20' redwood signs, the application tape was next to impossible. Before going to the duct tape, we tried heating the application tape up and that did work to a small degree on smaller signs/areas.

edit: and we criss-crossed the duct tape for better adhesion/pull.
Before there was sandblast resist, we used duct tape on the board. We'd cover the board with those 2" strips and then do a second layer at right angle to it. We'd cut it on the board and many years later heard the term "Weeding." That was 54 years ago. I still have a couple of those signs. Occasionally the tape would lift when blasting and we had a stapler to fix that, then we'd fill the staple holes if we remembered.