• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Saving as AI

jason91

Any body have a hard time saving to an AI (x3 or X5)...It seems like it always locks up every time??? I work in corel and he works in AI and I can't seem to send them to him? I can't really send as a eps either, because it has so many fills in the graphic....it would be a huge eps file??? Any ideas?

Custom_Grafx

It's one of the reasons why so many AI people used to hate me when I used it exclusively. After getting into AI, I figured out why.

It's not the best of ideas to rely on corel to convert a file correctly/successfully every time to corel.

I suggest EPS or publish to PDF. stay away from AI from corel.

WildWestDesigns

It's one of the reasons why so many AI people used to hate me when I used it exclusively. After getting into AI, I figured out why.

It's not the best of ideas to rely on corel to convert a file correctly/successfully every time to corel.

I suggest EPS or publish to PDF. stay away from AI from corel.

It seems like every time I got a coral file it always seemed pixelated and not up to par.

I would also suggest EPS or PDF. Now this may or may not be the case with the guy you are working with, but I would also try to make it a habit of exporting to EPS version 3 as that tends to be the most universal eps version. This is the embroidery person in my talking.

Custom_Grafx

It seems like every time I got a coral file it always seemed pixelated and not up to par.

I would also suggest EPS or PDF. Now this may or may not be the case with the guy you are working with, but I would also try to make it a habit of exporting to EPS version 3 as that tends to be the most universal eps version. This is the embroidery person in my talking.

corel converts gradients (fountain fills) to bitmaps with clipping masks. if the wrong settings/steps are chosen it's pixelated and banded. it also increases filesize because if u choose say 256 fountain steps it will generate a bitmap for each shade (yes, 256 of them), and a circular clipping mask for each one. dropshadows and transparency are also handled in unorthodox ways.

my general rule for using corel, is that if it's not cut vinyl or laser etch/cutting (ie monochrome output files), dont use it for the final production file.

signswi

The Corel gradients to bitmaps is wretched and the source of much frustration. Flexi often does the same thing. Easy tools aren't always the best tools. :frustrated:

Biker Scout

Always get in the habit of considering the .ai format your "working file" with things like open fonts and such, and final/print ready files should be saved as an .eps, (with outlined fonts) or at worst a .pdf.

There are very specific reason for this, but I just give you a brief overview... EPS stands for "Encapsulated Post Script" which means it carries printer data, including color profiles! This has been the universal de-facto standard for years and years in the print industry for pre-press work.

Also, your screen preview and printed images look different from one another between .ai and .eps.