• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SC 545 dropping Magenta Ink while printing

aaronscs

The printer is dropping/leaking magenta ink on the Left side while printing. It only seems to be happening on the Left side. I never have drips in on the print itself or on the right media clamp. The leak is bad enough that through an 8' print a decent size puddle will accumulate on and under the left media clamp. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Robert M

Bulk ink?

I have seen this with bulk ink systems. There is too much ink pressure in the lines. This causes a drop of ink to form on the bottom of the head. When the head stops at the left side to begin the return, the drop falls off in the same area every time. Could be the head is leaking.

lgroth

I hate it when it drips....

Could be something as simple as a piece of fuzz, hair or debris on the print head... When you clean the heads use a flashlight to check for stuff that's just too small to see. When I have that problem I usually find little pieces of fuzz stuck to the edge or corner of a head that's collecting ink till it drips, usually happens after printing scrim material or fabric. If not then start working your way back up past the head, check the head manifold, dampers & ink lines... Usually just turns out to a piece of stubborn debris...

El Barto

Yup. Debris stuck to the sides of the head is a strong candidate. After enough usage you can get a build up all the way over to the sheet-cutter mechanism. However, as many times as I've had to deal with that (shop cat in the building) I've never seen it localized like that. There are always droplets in other places.

Are you printing uni or bidirectional? Also, how close is the print to the media clamps?