• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

scaling strokes in Corel

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I sent an ai file to a customer who then opened it in Coreldraw. The shapes had stroked lines. When they scaled/sized the graphic up in Coreldraw the thickness of the stroke did not scale. So let's say the letter was 1 inch tall with a 2 pt stroke. When the graphic was sized to 4 inches, the stroke remained at 2 pt instead of increasing to 8pt. as it should have been

What setting in Corel prevents this from happening?

Mosh

In the outline tool there is a box that says scale with image. I never have luck with it working, so I always make the stroke a vector path too so I know it will scale. I think this is what you mean.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Mosh return your box of Corel. You must have gotten one of the ones on the recall list.
I have never had that option not work once turned on.

wayne k
guam usa

jiarby

Corel thinks that the outline is just a property of the parent object (the curve), so when you say "Make the outline for this shape .25 inches" it believes you. Later if you scale the image the curve changes but Corel still thinks you want the outline to be .25"

Mosh has it (from the Corel side)... in the outline properties for the curve check the box to "Scale with Image".

Tedious if there are a bunch of outlines.

From the "Arrange" menus you can choose "Convert Outline to Object". Note that this still leaves the original curve in the middle. No biggie if you are printing, but if cutting you will get a suprise.

BUT...what can you do in ILLY to make sure it imports into Corel that way? I dunno!

BadAss

Where so I find the box to turn it on? And even with that problem Eric did a FANTASTIC job for us as usual...M*

jiarby

You have to select the object then dbl-clik the pen properties

Attachments

• outline.jpg
    outline.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 232

RebeckaR

In your toolbox, choose the outline tool, then from the fly out choose the first item which is Outline Pen dialog.
Then down toward the middel and bottom of that dialog box is a place for you to check "scale with image".
ta da!

jiarby

In Illustrator...

Object-Transform-Scale

Check the box that says "Scale Strokes & Effects"

Corel (X4) still ignores that setting during import. Sounds like a Corel Import issue (another in the long list of Corel import probems!)

Attachments

• scale.jpg
    scale.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 223

Tony McD

I hardly ever use strokes in corel.
The scale with image works fine for me in X3, but it's another step,
and often it squares off the tips of corners. If there's a way to set "scale with image"
as default it would help... never could find a way to default it.

I use the contour tool instead of strokes, and it always scales perfectly.
Also the file is ready to go to flexi if needed.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I hardly ever use strokes in corel.
The scale with image works fine for me in X3, but it's another step,
and often it squares off the tips of corners. If there's a way to set "scale with image"
as default it would help... never could find a way to default it.

I use the contour tool instead of strokes, and it always scales perfectly.
Also the file is ready to go to flexi if needed.

Open a new empty layout
with nothing selected press F12
set the stroke options you want for the default
exit that box and under the "tools" drop down select "save settings as default"

To fix your corners you need to adjust the miter limit in the stroke options menu

wayne k
guam usa

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Mosh has it (from the Corel side)... in the outline properties for the curve check the box to "Scale with Image".

Tedious if there are a bunch of outlines.

Not tedious, do them all in one shot:
Ctrl A > F12 > check "scale with image"
The unique properties of each different stroke will stay the same and just the scaling option will be enabled.

wayne k
guam usa

signmeup

In Illustrator...

Object-Transform-Scale

Check the box that says "Scale Strokes & Effects"

Corel (X4) still ignores that setting during import. Sounds like a Corel Import issue (another in the long list of Corel import probems!)
Please explain the procedure for importing a Corel file into Illustrator to me.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
F12.. option grayed out when I tried this ctrl-A F12 method.
At least one selected object has to have a stroke assigned or the lower options will be grayed out. Set a point size in the first box and the other options will light up.

wayne k
guam usa

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Half the objects selected had a stroke. Half did not.

What version of Draw are you using?
It works without fail here in x3 x4 & x5
Does not matter if it is an Illy import or native Draw object(s).
If the file is not too big send it to me.

wayne k
guam usa