• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Self Healing Table Top

RiXaX

Years back when looking for these to cover a 4x8 table top I ran into a company that bought these mats after they were poured and they cut them to shape and printed the lines. They sold me a few of the rough shapes and I could glue them on the table top and go around the edges with a laminate trimmer. Well that was over thirty years ago, and I need a new one and can't find one. I don't like those poly styrene mats near as well as the green Olfa type. Anyone have any info?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I don't have an answer for you, but did you try a search? A while back there was a good thread with quite a few options people posted.

RiXaX

Stacey K, thanks for the response. I tried searching all over the internet and making numerous phone calls before posting here asking for help. The company I used to buy from is no longer and I tried to find the individuals that worked there back then to no avail also.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Give it a few days for some responses, a lot of people are off today yet. In the past I've used several layers of poly but it only lasts so long.

RiXaX

I see that it says new member next to my name. I've been here since this site's beginnings. Just don't visit much anymore. There were folks talking about a supply place called Yello. I sent them a note also.

2B

DL Signs

Never go against the family
If you have no luck finding what you had, I've always used the Rhino Self Healing Mats. They last years, you can get them with or without grids, they're translucent if your tables have grids, or you can print your own custom grids on anything and lay it under them... They go all the way up to 6x12 foot. Haven't needed one in quite a while, but I think it was MyBinding that always had the best pricing on them.

Bengt Backhaus

I have used the same thing for years. A cutting mat made of pvc flex.
It's pretty much the same as on the rolls roller tables.

I can't find an american supplier, but my Google-fu is lacking.
In Sweden the term is "Cutting mat PVC Flex 7 mm"

Hopefully this can help with your googling.

d fleming

I have thirty year old galvanized pans for work table tops. Magnets work on them and they are as good as 30 years ago. You go through x-acto blades but that's why there is 100 of them in a box.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
We used to run glass tops and they are good, except when someone tosses a tool on it and it breaks and glass is hard on blades. I've switched everything over to either yellow tools or mcmaster carr.

tedshock

Years back when looking for these to cover a 4x8 table top I ran into a company that bought these mats after they were poured and they cut them to shape and printed the lines. They sold me a few of the rough shapes and I could glue them on the table top and go around the edges with a laminate trimmer. Well that was over thirty years ago, and I need a new one and can't find one. I don't like those poly styrene mats near as well as the green Olfa type. Anyone have any info?
If you like the green ones and can't get anything else, there's always Speedpress:

Only thing is the sizes are very limited. They also have the Rhino mats that others have mentioned

RiXaX

I ordered a small Magic Mat from Speed Press and found that to be what we want. We didn't like the Rhino mats. The Magic Mats are only available in small pieces there though. I have not found anyplace selling 4x8's.

Last edited:

gnubler

I'm currently using a sheet of black PVC (Sintra). Looks nicer and when it gets cut up enough I'll flip it over.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
One of ours is glass, the other has a sheet of clear poly-carbonate on it. It ain't self healing, but it'll take some abuse.