• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

setting up plotter new plotter with omega 4.0 not working

youngent

Is ther anyone out there that can help me figure out why gerber omega is not working with my new plotter? I just purchased a knkmaxx plotter and I loaded software and went into my GQMgr and it shows my plotter and says idle. Now I have never sent a job to a plotter before, this is my first time and I have an emergency job Tuesday morning and no tech support available. Des anyone know how to save and send the file to the plotter? pleas help

artofacks1

In omega 4 do your outline die design in a layer. Make sure that the cuts are on. Than go file, output all and it will open in plot. In plot I like to print print preview and see the preview. Than from preview click on cut and you should be good. I highly recommend you try a small circle or square first. You can also open your device cut Window and do a test cut. Hope that helps some.

youngent

im doing engraving designs for monuments and I have had a person that I send an eps file to and they do all the cuts for me so in short I have no clue how to do what you just said. I don't know about layers and I cant seem to find where to make sure my cuts are on. All I can tell you is that all the icons that have to do with me sending to the plotter are not usable. Does turning on the cuts turn on the plotter functions in the tool bar? How do I turn cuts on? Thanks for taking the time to respond, this is a really big deal for me.

youngent

don't know what a dongle is.. I am not a computer guy I just know how to design my engravings and I am just learning that I have a lot to learn. If you decide to keep helping me just act like your talking to someone who is computer illiterate. I have everything that my program came with so can you tell me what a dongle is

youngent

I read user manual and there has to be something wrong because it says I should select what I want cut and go to file and select output all. Again none of my controls for output are available. so frustrating. I can see the controls but cant select them. What kind of bounty could be offered?

youngent

so I have found out that my windows 64 bit is not able to communicate with the plotter through gerber. On front page of manual it says I have to use a 32 bit to make it work. Any ideas?

player

Try running it in compatibility mode. Right click on the icon, then go to properties. There you will find a tab compatibility. There you can choose different versions of windows you can try. It might be good to run as administrator as well, but I am not sure.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Once you resolve your OS issue, you will need to setup a generic HPGL plotter on an open comm port using the GSP Tray > Install Plotter menu. Knkmaxx is not a supported plotter. The GSP Tray is located in the right hand icons on your task bar. Right click on it to get a menu. If you don't have a Com port, then you will need a USB to Serial adapter of the type supplied by Gerber.

Last edited:

youngent

I setup the plotter in the program but I have found out that I don't have a gspplott function available. It's like I have to call gerber and get them to tell me how to install the gsp. I have installed all software and driver updates that gerber has provided and still have no control of the output function in composer.

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I setup the plotter in the program but I have found out that I don't have a gspplott function available. It's like I have to call gerber and get them to tell me how to install the gsp. I have installed all software and driver updates that gerber has provided and still have no control of the output function in composer.

Look in your Programs menu for a Gerber Group and see if the program GSPPlot is in the list. Also, have you ever had any plotter driven from your copy of Omega. If not, it is possible that you have a Layout version of Omega which does not include GSPPlot. Plot should appear in the System ID list (accessible by right clicking on the GSP Tray icon) for you to have a version capable of driving a plotter.

attachment.php

If you do have GSPPlot, open it, then open any saved PLT file you may have, and enter function key F7 to open the Device Select section. Look to see if any plotter is shown as being available. If your non-Gerber plotter is not installed, you can try to install it as an HPGL plotter and see then if you can get it connected.

attachment.php

If this is a used copy of Omega that you bought from a private party, you may well be screwed. If you bought it from a Gerber distributor, you should consider asking them for help.

Attachments

• system ID.jpg
    system ID.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 674
  • plotter.jpg
    plotter.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 772