• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Setting up spot colour decals / stickers on to clear vinyl

JonMiller

Curious to know how everyone would go about doing this.
I have attached a couple examples (was going to upload the PLT file but am unable to unfortunately). One with black,fluoro orange, chrome and the other with a black/white gradient instead of the chrome.

On the chrome one would you choke&spread the orange and chrome and then set the black to overprint so it just went over the top of the orange?
In order to achieve opacity on the clear would you just select 'backing' & 'print area' in the 123 box in gspPlot? Or...?

Same for the version with the gradient, how would you proceed to set that one up too?

Kind Regards,

Jon

Attachments

• 3 colour clear .PDF
    45.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 3 colour clear with gradient.PDF
    132.6 KB · Views: 230

iSign

I guess that black border is where the cut line is, so I'd have the black bleed outside the cut.
Then I guess the white is where clear vinyl remains clear...
I wonder if it installs on glass and is visible from both sides?
If so, I'd let the orange remain translucent, but if not, backing white" is good,and overprint with a "double-hit" of the black, using the choke/spread feature if you're good with that. Pretty much just like you said...

I used to just create the vector contours for each layer if I wanted backing white, or choke/spread. Maybe just a lazy way out without learning features, but that always seemed more fool proof way to go on trapping where's my colors met.

JonMiller

Thanks for the response.

This would have a cut line where the outer colour/line is but I was just ignoring that factor for the time being as I just wanted to focus on the layout of the decal itself and creating it properly with decent opacity (white backing) as it would be on clear vinyl.

Kind Regards,

Jon

GB2

Old Member
If this was to be viewed from the print side then I would do just as you stated, Choke Spread the Chrome and Orange, Overprint the Black, Backing White on Print Area. Actually I would do a test first to see what Overprinting the Orange on the Chrome would look like and if it didn't alter the Orange then I might try Overprinting everything.

On the gradient one, I would try doing the same thing, Choke Spread the Gradient and Orange, Overprint the Black, Backing White on Print Area.

JonMiller

Well, quick test on the standard one and worked well :) I guess I am going in the right direction...for now :)

Have attached a couple pics showing the opacity, chrome/orange overlap etc.

Will try to get this right...

I set the black to overprint, then created a small inline on the chrome (from the furthest outer edge, inwards), set that new object to white and sent it to the back. Then selected the chrome and orange and created a choke and spread on those, with the chrome going over the orange. adjusted print order to white, orange, chrome, black and then outputted to gspPlot.

Also, the print preview is a most useful tool!

I haven't tested doing the gradient version yet though..

One thing, you seem to get some very light directional 'scratches' in the prints which I presume is from the 2 plastic media guides. Is there a way to stop this? I thought perhaps some thin felt attached over them somehow?? Has anyone found a cure for this issue?

Kind Regards,

Jon

Attachments

• IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2018.JPG
    IMG_2018.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2019.JPG
    IMG_2019.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 154

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You'll also find the 1234 dialog (Control +D) Print/Order Output very useful.

I've never had anyone complain about the fine scratches in chrome. It will get that way just from wiping dust once installed. But if you want to reduce or eliminate it on the fresh print, try covering the wiper blades with a piece of transfer paper.

JonMiller

Indeed, there are all sorts of nice keyboard shortcuts. shift+F3 I find myself using a lot with the spot colour graphics I do.
The inlining tool alt+shift+1

Shame there isn't a comprehensive list of all the shortcuts. (although probably is one?? just not seen it while looking through the manual)

Yeh, I can't imagine the faint 'scratches' being a problem to 99% of customers. I just find it slightly annoying personally as like things to be as good as possible.

Should my procedure work when having a gradient instead of the chrome you think Fred? (Not had a chance to test as have a chunk of inkjet decals to do)

JonMiller

I shall try to have a go tomorrow at the gradient version and again update the thread, hopefully with not too drastic an outcome :D

Yes, especially coming from inkjet/illustrator and what you see is what you get more or less :)

CaliDude

Hey OP,

The solid chromed backed decal looks great! The font used looks awesome as well. What is the name of that font if you don't mind me asking.

Great product man.

Thanks.