• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop tables

Mark Your Space

Sorry for more newb questions.

But I'm shopping for three 4'x8' work tables for my new shop.

Seems that all of the existing shops I see have nice wood tables on casters with some cubbies built in and storage available.

Online I'm not seeing anything like these. I have been able to locate some metal tables where you can "add on" all types of racks and such.

So my questions to you:

1) Metal vs. wood, any reason to prefer one or the other (the metal ones will hold 20,000 pounds, can't wait to make that sign!)

2) Casters vs. none

Perhaps my expectations regarding price are a bit crazy so please set me straight.

Here is what I'm looking at, but it seems to get a little crazy with the storage options.
http://www.benchdepot.com/indexsignshoptable_K.html

Thanks in advance for your help!

ChiknNutz

I guess if price is no option to you...then go right ahead. I have two large tables, one 4x8 and one 5x10...no way I'd spend that kinda dough on a table, when I can build them for about 1/5 of those costs!

J Hill Designs

Most shop tables I've seen were hand made.

I'd say yes to casters - one of these days (months, etc) I will be adding lockable casters to all my tables..

just my .02

OneUpTenn

We paid my husbands subs to build mine. They built all my shelving, one huge 5 x 16 table and the desk area for just a little more than what one nice metal table would cost. My only regret (which I keep saying I am going to do) is not adding storage underneath the table.

I would take a picture but my shop is so messy right now I wouldnt let my own Mama in.

ChiknNutz

Oh yeah, DEFINITELY invest in casters...you'll wish you had if you don't! I also built mine with storage underneath. A point to consider too is the overall height. I made mine 42" tall, but your mileage may vary.

threeputt

Hi MYS and welcome to the forum.

My take on shop tables is this:

Construct your own. (if you're not handy, get someone to do it)

If you have a couple tables that will be permanently located in one spot, don't put wheels under them. Make those 4'x8' and cover them with a self-healing cutting mat. Also, the work surface should be between elbow heighth when arm is folded and 3" below elbow heighth. Ours are 39".

The other tables we have in another area are all wheeled. They should be about 34" tall. They're purpose is different. No one stands all day and weeds vinyl on those table. You can buy a 3/4" thick, chipboard that has a melamine (plastic like) surface for very cheap at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. That's good for a table top of this type. And it's dead flat. The white surface is nice too. Paint and other messes clean up great!

A days work should get you as many as five of these made. (if you've room for that many) We have one that is 5'x10' for working with larger laminated prints.

You can use all two by fours if you'd like. We did. Put the thing together using deck screws.

Hope this helps.

TheSellOut

If you can find a decent piece of glass, such as a discarded cooler door, take the frame of and you the glass as the table top and build your table to suit!

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I just made a smaller 48x72 (4x6) table using the design I found here http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55300

mine is set to 36" high but I would probably make it another inch or two higher now.

then ordered a 4x6 cutting mat and matching grid from SpeedPress.com and 4" locking casters from Outwater.com

total with all hardware is under $200 and it took about 4 hours for just the table. the casters and cutting mat will arrive later this week.

here is my materials list:
2 - 4x4x96 ($10ea)
8 - 2x4x96 ($2ea)
2 - 4x8 3/4" MDF (very strong and flat) $16ea
4 - 4" casters from Outwater.com #ISG100-1BR $7ea
1 - 4x6" Rhino Cutting Mat from SpeedPress.com $75
1 - 4x6" Grid from SpeedPress.com $20
1lb box - 3" deck screws (I pre-drilled with countersink to make it neat)

seems if you are a sign shop you should be able to make a simple 2x4,4x4, and plywood table. plus you'll have something much more useful than a metal table. mine has a shelf just above the casters and I will be adding drawers on each side in a few weeks when I have more time.

I got out of "working" this past friday to make this table. no phone calls. no email. just sawdust and sunshine.

here are detailed instructions I found and printed out for reference http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20xl.html

threeputt

MarkYourSpace, here's a couple of quick snaps around our shop. We have 7 tables.

Maybe you can get an idea of construction methods.

Attachments

• shop table_5x10 with casters.jpg
    shop table_5x10 with casters.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 237
  • shop tables_4x16 general use.jpg
    shop tables_4x16 general use.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 183
  • shop tables_work area 4x8 with castors.jpg
    shop tables_work area 4x8 with castors.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 172

jiarby

I hired a guy to build one for $100. There are LOTS of unemployed wood workers and carpenters. Put an ad on Craigslist for a guy.

auto accents sc

We built ours using some brackets from Lowes found in the area for decks and building shelves in a garage. They helped make the 4x8 table very stout. Casters are a must, I agree on that for sure. We used 2x4's and 2 sheets of plywood and deck screws. PM me if you are interested in the brackets and can't find them.

Billct2

Most shops build their own, we are sign builders after all.
Otherwise I like the idea having a local guy putting something together, it's good
to have a handyman available for other projects if you're not into building stuff.
Locking Casters a must, good ones.

JR's

Build your own if you cant because lack of skill or lack of time hire some one. and thy mite hire you for there sign work.
Its a good idea to have some the same hight so you could pout them together for a bigger tables. and locking casters.

JR

i like to have one 4X8 but if building multiple 38" wide is my preference.
locking casters
storage shelving underneath including space for a garbage can for weeding.

for the shop with no budget there is a company that travels from new franchise to new franchise building tables..but you would be better off finding a local cabinet shop that will work iwth you if you want something higher end than a build it yourself project.

self healing gridded mats are nice and highly recommend at least one on your primary work table but if budget does not allow for all tables go to a plastic supply house and you can usually buy or order the self healing material for a fraction of the marked ruled mats.

i have seen some absolutely mind blowing work tables in some of the shops i have been in. if you are going to get fancy and build racks for application tape or electrical outlets anything above and beyond the basics if you are a new shop wait a while until you know where you like to work at the table and where you would like those accessories located.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The sturdiest, cheapest, and fastest table in my experience is to buy a 30-36x72-96, the bigger the better, particle top banquet table at Staples, Office Depot, etc.

Put a piece of 3/4 MDO on the floor and place the banquet table upside down in the center of the MDO. Screw the banquet table to the MDO. Flip it over and there you are.

Add a 4x8 cutting mat and you're good for years. My tables made this way have been in use for years.

Casters, even locking casters, can be more of a nuisance than an advantage. When you're using the table, which is far more often than when you're moving it, you want it to just sit there, unmovable. Those times when you must move it, just muckle onto it and move it.

Shelves below are one of those things that sound good but end up being junk collectors. It's easy enough to cut a piece of plywood that mounts between the banquet table legs if you must have a shelf. It doesn't actually mount, it just sits there. It overlaps the horizontal tubes on the table legs and will not move.

The nice thing about this sort of table is you can lift off any shelf you added, fold up the legs, and set it up against a wall.

WestcoastSigns

Also check out auctions in your area for companies going out of business. You can sometimes pick up tables, shelving etc pretty cheap depending how many show up for the auction. Doesn't have to be a sign shop - can be a manufacturer closing up and has lots of good stuff.

jfiscus

Rap Master
5x10, as most substrates start out at 4x8 & larger (5x10) sizes, also our printer is 54" wide so it's necessary for cutting so to fit it on there you'd need that. Wood construction with a 5x10 cutting mat on top is what ours is. Ours also has casters & a shelf underneath, I'd like to add side shelves to put the tools on so I don't have to hunt them down allt he time when they get moved.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Hay Bob, your pretty smart.

he knows it already...

building your own table(s) is like a right of passage....

my 4 x 16 is the first thing i made when i opened shop 13 years ago.

and yes, casters are a must