• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

short tshirt run

artofacks1

Hello, I have a short t-shirt run and want to use my edge fx printer and a heat press to do them.

Can you guys recommend the correct material to print it on?

Thanks,
Robert Olide

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Gerber had, at one time, a foil set called GerberColor EDGE L.T. Foil. It was used together with what they termed a release paper to print on with the Edge in reverse and you could then heat transfer it to a white or light colored garment. As far as I can tell, it has been discontinued. I tried it out a number of years ago and it wasn't good for more than a few washings.

Stormyj

Just another guy
DTG = direct to garment printer. Their ok, but watch the white ink. Clogs easily. Of course if you dont have a dtg printer, try Stahls materials. They print nice and heat apply. Last quite a while, I have a shirt myself that has been through about a hundred washs, and is only now starting to show it. I use the Express print and it works great imo. For printable heat transfer material, you will need to also purchase the mask/transfer tape. They will send you a sample package. I got that originally sent to me, had different kinds of material in it, and I applied it to one shirt for myself and customers to look at.

artofacks1

DTG = direct to garment printer. Their ok, but watch the white ink. Clogs easily. Of course if you dont have a dtg printer, try Stahls materials. They print nice and heat apply. Last quite a while, I have a shirt myself that has been through about a hundred washs, and is only now starting to show it. I use the Express print and it works great imo. For printable heat transfer material, you will need to also purchase the mask/transfer tape. They will send you a sample package. I got that originally sent to me, had different kinds of material in it, and I applied it to one shirt for myself and customers to look at.

I'm trying to find material I can use with my Gerber edge fx printer.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have had great success in the past with the Siser Colorprint materials and the Edge. There are a few different materials depending on what the shirts are made from, and I always gave it a few extra seconds on the heat press just to be sure.

Mosh

Why do sign people try and do shirts...stick to what you know. I see SO MANY hack sign/shirt printers out there putting out garbage like this....If you iron it on it looks like crap. BTW iron on = heat press, same thing!

Why do sign people try and do shirts...stick to what you know. I see SO MANY hack sign/shirt printers out there putting out garbage like this....If you iron it on it looks like crap. BTW iron on = heat press, same thing!

Is screen print better. Yes it lasts a lot longer.

I believe though with a good material and the proper printing and contour cut. You can make shirts that look just as good.

artofacks1

I emailed a couple companies for samples. I will report what I find and share some pics as soon as I can.

Thanks!

stitchup

We've used:

TexGraphics White for Gerber EdgeIP 6901

IP 6901 is a thermally-printable, white polyurethane material. This extremely thin material offers excellent printability and washability. It has been specifically designed for printing on thermal-transfer printers and produces excellent results when printed on Gerber Edge I & II and FX, but also on the Roland PC 12, 60 and 600.

IP 6901
Print the graphic on the film right side facing up. After contour cutting and weeding, apply an application tape (we recommend IP AT 500 / 700). Transfer the graphic using a heat press. We recommend 15 -17 seconds at 165°C - 175°C (cotton). Be sure to always use a Teflon sheet or a layer of silicone paper to prevent the graphic from sticking to the upper plate of the heat press. Always perform a test when using application tapes not recommended by Spandex. Remove the application tape while the material is still warm as it will peel off better before it has cooled off completely. Print settings: If IP 6901 does not appear in your Omega version then use Panaflex 645 or Ultramark Bannermark. Only use GCS & GCP cartridges for printing on this material. IP 6901 cannot be used on water repellent surfaces such as nylon. Not suited for overprinting (Spectratone). Despite being extremely thin, this material offers excellent opacity. After weeding immediately apply the application tape to prevent the edges from curling up. Always extend printed areas and contours beyond the cut lines. Washability up to 40°C (inside out) - do not tumble dry - and iron inside out. Due to the numerous factors associated with the manufacturing and handling of the heat transfer film, the physical properties of the fabric, as well as varying washing and cleaning conditions, product liability only extends to the unprinted material.

Specifications
Description TexGraphics for thermal printers
Colour White
Face film thickness 100µ
Weight N/A
Adhesive Thermally activated
Release paper White paper
Temperature range Up to 40°C
Durability (unprinted) N/A
Transfer time & temperature 15 - 17 seconds / 165 - 175°C (cotton)
Washability Up to 40°C
Application tape recommendation ImagePerfect™ AT 500 / 700
Recommendations for cutting 45° knife / reduce plotter speed
Shelflife 2 years, 20°C / 50% humidity
Recommendation For optimum quality, please ensure that the media feed adjustment has been completed for this material

401Graphics

I have had great success in the past with the Siser Colorprint materials and the Edge. There are a few different materials depending on what the shirts are made from, and I always gave it a few extra seconds on the heat press just to be sure.
Siser colorprint is junk now that they have changed the formula and it doesn't not transfer correctly anymore, on both glossy and matte versions.

d fleming

I am a sign maker and a screen printer. 35+ years at each. Started my day with crane removing commercial ice machine from 2nd floor of hotel, 2 screen printed with plastisol shirt orders just left, now printing bumper stickers on Seiko to be laminated and cut. Wife just ran heat press for very short run of shirts using eco film. There is a place for everything but yes, screen printed textiles are infinitely superior to print/cut/heat/apply products.

401Graphics

I sell way more apparel than i do signs. And if you use quality material it will look as good, and last as long, if not longer than screen printing.

Pat Whatley

Is there a quality material that doesn't look like a rubber iron on? Not being a smart-***, if there's something out there that mimics the feel of screen printing I'd love to try it.