• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Shop Gremlins [Keeping track of tools?]

jtinker

Owner
So I had an Xacto handle next to a sign and I turned around for a second and it was gone. My shop eats equipment! Turns out it rolled across the table and on to the floor and then again underneath the table between some boxes. My only explanation is gremlins. How do you guys keep track of hand tools while working.

CES020

Tape measures and knives. Two things I can't stop buying because of those gremlins. I suspect when we move, we'll find about 20 tapes measures and 40 knives.

rjssigns

Follow the 5S routine. Sort - Straighten - Shine - Standardize - Sustain. Establishing work cells for specific operations goes hand in hand with this strategy.

Table tops and benches will no longer be used to "store" tools. All tools go on a board in their respective work cell and have their outline drawn around them with a marker.

There will be no borrowing from cells. Don't have a tool? Go see the boss and get what you need and keep it at your workstation, period.

fresh

We are always looking for our 18" rulers and tape measures. I think we have 5 or 6 tape measures for 3 people, and we still are always looking in 5 spots for one.

Our workbench is about 20 ft long and it has a shelf below most of it. Our tools, exactos, knives, squeegees, etc. live there, and for the most part they don't get lost. Its those darn measuring tapes that have legs, i swear. The have a nice spot on the shelf, too, but it almost always sits empty.

rjssigns

One sure way to combat walking tool syndrome is to make employees buy their own. Funny how people take ownership when it hits them in the pocket.

jriley

I often times find myself searching my surroundings very thoroughly for lost tools, then find them in my pocket.

Craig Sjoquist

Since I hand paint & ride a bicycle, carry everything needed for job by job for on site & shop.

Each type of main work I do onsite & in shop has it's own tools & equipment so each has it's own tool box & yes I switch around fa bit to just cover one job next another when that is the case.

For vinyl work I have a tool belt filled with needs that stays with me, then back in storage.

Yes bought several small stuff over the years so that is how I solved it, so a tape measure is in 4 boxes, no looking, plus I have 2 for estimating,