• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

signpainting student

Joe Diaz

I wonder if maybe the electropounce machine has any grooming applications?
Yeah maybe if you need your hairs to stand on end.

What I think is great is how old technology and new can work together. Like you, we design our patterns on the computer, we even have ways of estimating how much paint we'll need on the computer (for larger jobs). Then there's our laminate backing, which is great for not only patterns but masking off areas. I've even created a few logos from hand painted scripts. :thumb:

sardocs

I agree that the computer and the brush are good for each other. I do find it funny though, how years ago, pre-computer, we practiced so hard to get our hand lettering to look like it was done by a machine. Now we hafta tweek everything in the computer to make it look like it was done by hand.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
you nailed it on the head there sardocs.

The times, they are a changing. Hopefully for the better. In the last 2 years I've done more painting on vinyl than I had the past 6 years before it ... and that is what the customer wanted even though I could get a cleaner printed version of what I did for those customers. people like hand made items. They still want vehicle graphics to be removable, so I'm never asked to hand letter a vehicle ... but you give them an option of hand painted that can be removed in a year or 5 when their lease is up ... sold.

I might just have to make one of these signs just to hang up in my shop.

Mosh

Awesome skill, I had that same gustow back in 1988! The sad part is how to make a living doing that! Sorry to say it is NOT in commercial Sign maling, he needs to find a niche market. MAD Skill, needs to target retro car shops and stuff like that!.

Glad to see the art continue!

sardocs

I don't think a living can be made if handlettering is all you do. But with that skill in my trickbag I make a better living than without it. Last week my printer was running boring real estate maps all day. The vinyl plotter was busy also. While they both were tied up I was able to hand paint a 4x8 mdo sign and add an extra $740 to the days tally.

Attachments

• pike 1.jpg
    pike 1.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 130
  • pike 2.jpg
    pike 2.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 137

Billct2

Nice job sardocs.
There are some still making a living with only handtools, but it's definately the exception.

sardocs

Thanks. I'm glad I learned to signpaint when I was young. I like to think the time spent studing letterspacing and layout pays off in my computer designed signstuff, and versa-vis.