• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sock printing

mark galoob

does anybody know of a way besides die sub and dtg to print on socks. id like to print logos and such on cotton socks, and dtg is out for variety of reasons. i dont think you can dye sub on cotton.

thanks in advance

WildWestDesigns

does anybody know of a way besides die sub and dtg to print on socks. id like to print logos and such on cotton socks, and dtg is out for variety of reasons. i dont think you can dye sub on cotton.

thanks in advance

For socks we do embroidery. Dye Sub won't bond with the cotton fibers, needs 100% synthetic fibers (poly being the most common). Only other thing that I can think of is some type of heat transfer if you are wanting to print them.

Atomic DNA

what i thought was funny...each sock had a L and a R on them. Oh by the way the link failed. http://hiconsumption.com/2013/08/cool-socks-bruh-custom-pop-culture-nike-basketball-socks/ this might work

We do quite a few socks, mostly Nike Elites for guys wanting to color coordinate and for school's teams. Sublimation is the best route, here. When sublimation transfers to the sock, there will be small white voids between the ribs. When working with white or light colored backgrounds for the artwork, this is fine. When it's a dark color background, they are very prominent. There are ways to minimize the voids by doing a light stretch but still doesn't work 100%.

Transfers would work but you will more than likely have even more sever rib issues as the transfer is lying on the surface of the ribs. With dye sub you'll get a better reception.

One thing I'll add. You will almost never see them being stretched as if they are being worn. That's because most people are picky and will wonder why there are voids in the artwork. Seems like the people selling these are embarrassed or trying to hide the fact that they are not perfect. Just have to be up front with the customer that it is what it is. Here is a pic of one of our first attempts. After doing these a few hundred times our results are much better than the pic, but not by much.

Attachments

• 20140214_134408.jpg
    20140214_134408.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 146
  • giveit.jpg
    giveit.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 143
  • 920596_10201608419085772_1750055641_o.jpg
    920596_10201608419085772_1750055641_o.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 136

WildWestDesigns

We do quite a few socks, mostly Nike Elites for guys wanting to color coordinate and for school's teams. Sublimation is the best route, here. When sublimation transfers to the sock, there will be small white voids between the ribs. When working with white or light colored backgrounds for the artwork, this is fine. When it's a dark color background, they are very prominent. There are ways to minimize the voids by doing a light stretch but still doesn't work 100%.

Transfers would work but you will more than likely have even more sever rib issues as the transfer is lying on the surface of the ribs. With dye sub you'll get a better reception.

One thing I'll add. You will almost never see them being stretched as if they are being worn. That's because most people are picky and will wonder why there are voids in the artwork. Seems like the people selling these are embarrassed or trying to hide the fact that they are not perfect. Just have to be up front with the customer that it is what it is. Here is a pic of one of our first attempts. After doing these a few hundred times our results are much better than the pic, but not by much.

Sublimation is the best route for socks that are going to be used in an athletic environment or for those that like to wear those types of socks. Typically, because they are mainly DRI FIT and DRI FIT are also typically 100% poly. Also using sublimation, due to it's nature of binding to the substrate, you don't lose the moister wickering properties that most people want that get those types of socks.

Now, the OP mentioned cotton socks. If the customers are married to cotton socks (some of my customers refuse poly at all even a blend), then this process won't work. But it also matters what type of socks are these? Work socks, dress socks, sports socks?

binki

A4 will be coming out with a competitor to the Nike Elite in a few weeks if they have not done so already. The wholesale at a fraction of the cost of the Elite.

Locals Find!

Why has no one mentioned screenprinting? I have even made myself slipper socks like they give you at the hospital using puff screenprinting ink.

WildWestDesigns

A4 will be coming out with a competitor to the Nike Elite in a few weeks if they have not done so already. The wholesale at a fraction of the cost of the Elite.

Vapor Apparel has socks out now for sublimation. Might also be something worth looking into. I've always liked their shirts and hats for sublimation.