• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

solvent ink compatible waterslide decal media

artbot

is there such a thing as solvent ink compatible waterslide decal paper/media?

i've been messing around with some waterbased ink compatible waterslide media and really like the way it works for some of my products.

thanks in advance!

aa

artbot

your answer is over my head. sorry... i'm wanting to use water slide decal media (roll) but not use water based ink (thus the need to seal it with lacquer). is there a solvent ink compatible water slide media?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Well if it works with your waterbased machine it should work in a solvent machine, have you tried that?

artbot

the lasertran material prints decent (extremely matte surface). the beldecal material prints horribly. it has a dense gelatin coating on it.

the properties of the beldecal media are really nice (very thin, very glossy, extremely thin). also the bel is the only one that comes available on a 42" roll. at least that i know of.

artbot

wait, i just went to the website and there's this video of them screen printing ceramic ink on some water slide media. i bet that i could use the stuff for screen printing. and if not, i could at least coat it myself with a receptive coating. coating solvent over gelatin is not an option but???? maybe the screen print version?

so far the two industry standard words turn out to be decalcomania paper, and decal paper, and transparent decal paper

...update. after some more reading. it seems that "waterslide" or water transfer or decal paper is basically paper with a thick gelatin coating on it. the gelatin breaks loose from it's backer paper and then can stick to it's next surface. and because it is gelatin, it breathes and dehydrates. cool. but not for solvent ink. looks like a solvent ink compatible version would have to be coated in some way.

Last edited:

IsItFasst

Yeah, this stuff doesn't seem to work too well with my Roland sp-300v. The inks just seem to run (horribly). The only way to get a somewhat decently crisp print out of the material is limit inks to about 5%. Of coarse then they aren't dark enough to be useful. Wondering if there is anyway to use this stuff. Or it looks like I'm out the cost of a roll.

Oddly, just started to try it out today and ran across this post.

IsItFasst

Waterslide material is the type used on model cars/trains. At least that is how most of y'all will most recognize it. You cut the individual decal off the sheet, then soak in warm water for about 30 seconds. Then the paper backing slides off the decal. This leaves you with a VERY thin decal that can be slid around during installation.

WrapperX

So waterslide is the type of installation not necessarily the surface it goes on. Interesting. I thought it weird that they have a particular vinyl that goes on Waterslides - but I've never done a water slide installation so I was unaware. Now that I think about it, I feel kinda silly thinking that it was litterally WATERSLIDE vinyl. :doh:

John Butto

waterslide

Use to screenprint waterslide decals in the 60's for big banks and stock exchange companys. Use to use enamels and clear varnish. To get a strong decal for glass you screen a clear down first and then let dry, then the next color, let dry and up to 4 colors and then finish with a a top clear coat. You would do them in reverse for the inside of glass installation. Registration was a accomplished with pin method. Model airplane decals were done with lacquer but for heavy wear the enamel works better because of flexibility issue.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
I would be curious if anyone has success sealing it with laquer. Could be a very useful item!

Tinkering is the best.

:thankyou:

artbot

well, i've got to spray a bunch of clear today. i'm going to coat some of the 8.5x11 samples. triangle ink prints quite nicely on two medium coats of SW cab.

i'd like to figure out a better clear precoat. the cab works decent but not great. does anyone know of some clear solvent receptive coatings (that sounds strange, virtually anything should "receive" solvent. but for printing "wetting out" is bad).

as for the properties of water slide mounting. it is very thin, gives a water clear mount, and is really idiot proof (good for me).

IsItFasst

Just for those who are confused on what the term "waterslide" is referring to you can check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3apOWtTINA

I too would like to have the option of printing with eco-sol inks but this just doesn't work without some type of top coating. I may play around with it some more but not sure if it will be worth my time.

IsItFasst

Not sure about latex but I think resin may work. I broke out my old PC50 to see if I could do anything with it, but the head is shot so I couldn't get much accomplished.