• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some prayers needed

JBurton

Signtologist
I heard this was going down on the news, but man it's looking harsh.
ssstwitter.com_1684949739821.gif

netsol

gino, remember hurricane sandy in 2012?
we were without power for 13 days. (in 1986 we had a category 1 hurricane, i spend 3 days cutting up downed trees, but, power was restored in 3 hours)

i hope he makes out better...

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Sounds like the northern part of the island got the worst of it... anyone know approx where Wayne is on the island?

JBurton

Signtologist
They've already started 24/7 shifts at the utilities to get power restored. I always get a chill seeing the caravans of bucket trucks headed toward hurricane zones.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yep, Hurricane Sandy and many others, but the one I lived in was Agnes in 1972. Our state was the heaviest hit and cost the most to help. Our local major river is normally around 15 to 22 ft.... 22 being major flood height. During Agnes, we were over flood stage at 31.5' We had over 19" in about 2 or 3 days. You can still see the results all over from that flood. It wiped out blocks and blocks of homes and businesses. I had friends who had mud and water up into their second floor and were then, condemned. Some of my wife's relatives had their homes swept away or totally ruined. Weeks later, the Amish came in and started cleaning up and rebuilding. The government took their good ol' time.

Boudica

Glad you're ok! Appreciate the update. I was worried for you and your's. Is your house ok?

netsol

"but we didn't tip over"
so, hank johnson is still a congressman (and still incredibly STUPID!)

you know, i felt guilty because hank hohnson was thevfirst thing i thought about when i read about guam...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Glad you're ok! Appreciate the update. I was worried for you and your's. Is your house ok?
With what has happened to some of our neighbors in wood framed tin shacks I have nothing to complain about. Got flooded but no blown out windows. Some have nothing left. Roof stayed on the shop. Office/print room is wet from flooding but the main working area is dry and the 3 customers cars we couldn't get them to pick up before the storm didn't even get a scratch.

Boudica

With what has happened to some of our neighbors in wood framed tin shacks I have nothing to complain about. Got flooded but no blown out windows. Some have nothing left. Roof stayed on the shop. Office/print room is wet from flooding but the main working area is dry and the 3 customers cars we couldn't get them to pick up before the storm didn't even get a scratch.
Is mold going to be an issue because of the flooding?
... been seeing on the news that it's a problem in Florida after Ian. One of those after effects ya don't really think about right away when you're lucky to have walls at all.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
We experienced Cat 5 Hurricane Maria on our Caribbean island about 5 years ago. Although we were without utility power for ~3 months, my 100 KW diesel generator at the workplace saved us. We were open the day after the storm. What we experienced in the months after the storm was an avalanche of business the likes of which we've not experienced before or since. It was great! Another bonus was the billions in Federal aid that has come to our island funding hundreds of infrastructure improvements to the island, some of which trickled down to my business.

On a personal basis, we did suffer some water/wind damage to our home (roof stayed on thanks to the solar panels). But, our public adjuster (after 2.5 years of back and forth with a parade of different insurance company adjusters) was able to negotiate a far higher settlement with the insurance company resulting in a huge windfall for us personally. Then, I did all the repairs and additional renovations/upgrades myself to maximize the use of the settlement funds and ended up with just over $100K left over in the bank. The value of my home has increased substantially too with all the upgrades, ie: new kitchen, bathrooms, etc.)

I don't look at hurricanes as "disasters" as much as "opportunities" as a result of this experience.