• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spot color foils on clear

artofacks1

Currently I am using spot color foils on clear vinyl. I learned that the white is solid, 100% solid. I use artic white. I printed a job that was yellow, white and blue on clear. The first print I printed yellow and the blue straight to the clear vinyl. I fast learned that the blue and yellow was see through and not 100% solid print like the white. Therefore, the next print, I printed a white flash with the artic white. Than printed the yellow and blue on top of it. Than I got the yellow and blue that i wanted.

Long story short, is there a group of gerber foils that are 100% solid like the artic white foil that will allow me to print directly to the clear vinyl with out having to print white on it?

Thanks,
Robert

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
No. Only black and white are opaque. All other foils will color shift unless they are printed on white vinyl or foil. The two available solutions are to setup your jobs with with chokes and spreads to minimize overprinting while trapping your spot colors or to print using process color foils which do not require chokes and spreads because they use percentage fills. Either way, if printing on clear, you still will need a white foil base coat.

artofacks1

I bet a foil line that was opaque and had no need of white would do well in sells. I guess I better stock up on white!

CanuckSigns

I bet a foil line that was opaque and had no need of white would do well in sells. I guess I better stock up on white!

From what i've heard from our suppliers, less and less people are using their gerber edge machines, I don't think you will see much R&D going into new products for it unfortunately.

artofacks1

From what i've heard from our suppliers, less and less people are using their gerber edge machines, I don't think you will see much R&D going into new products for it unfortunately.

Are the ink jets catching up or the latex ? How are people doing the clear white and chrome metallics now a days if not on a thermal printer?