• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spraypaint Outgassing - THE MOST EXPENSIVE LICENSE PLATE EVER!!!

Station51Graphics

Hi folks,

Any experience with installing decals on spray painted surfaces?

A customer has ordered a custom colored license plate to match a particular shade of red on the vehicle.
We have a local shop that was able to aerosolize the matching paint.

On this license plate, we a installing a one-of-a-kind gold leaf decal we outsourced to the fine folks at RJ Marx in Wisconsin.
Outgassing bubbles cannot be tolerated.

Any rule of thumb on how long to let this paint outgas? A long weekend? A week?

We are prepping two license plates so we can test for gases, but I'd like to have this ready to deliver as soon as possible.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, are you using a metal or plastic plate ?? Is the paint gonna be oil based or latex ""

Regardless, ya scare up the bare plate surface with about 600 paper.

Spray it in 2 or 3 coats total going one way, then the other and back to the original after each coat is all but tacky.

According to the paint, let it dry in a warm dry place for a few days.

If ya wanna play it right, after the gold is on, clear it with about 10 or 15 coats of clear when finished for a dazzling appearance.

Novadon

LEF2-200
Every paint is different. Every application thickness, temperature, dry time and mix particulars varies as well.

You should have sprayed several (same mix) sample panels to test for those variables, to determine ultimate painted surface / results.

Maybe even consider changing the paint products to achieve your goal if needed.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It doesn't matter, we decal the day after it's painted.
Last time this came up I went out and put vinyl right on wet paint, Rival which is a 2k polyurethane. It's sitting in my shop, I'd be happy to take a picture of it if nobody believes there are no "outgassing" bubbles. It's about a year old now.

MikePro

our only 1star review on google was a BBQtruck, demanding we letter his food truck the day after he had hand-painted it. Explained how the graphics might not last, but there was an event the next morning and we HAD TO RUSH IT! Sure enough, we demanded money up front & got it done and they were thrilled. ...just to have the edges of the decals start lifting by the end of the weekend. yuuuck.

usually I would have gone outta my way to show-up with a heatgun and make some sense of the mess, but the client never even called us to inquire about or address an issue. the decals are still on the truck to this day, but some snooty lady(assuming its the wife of the owner that we were dealing with) decided to leave us a scathing review anyways. google won't take it down, but i'll be certain to leave a well-addressed response once I've enjoyed a few beers :)

longstory-short: paint usually needs to outgas. even longer if temps are low and coats are thick. no need to rush it, but if you gotta then you gotta ....and have a plan to fix.

ikarasu

It doesn't matter, we decal the day after it's painted.
Last time this came up I went out and put vinyl right on wet paint, Rival which is a 2k polyurethane. It's sitting in my shop, I'd be happy to take a picture of it if nobody believes there are no "outgassing" bubbles. It's about a year old now.
That depends on the paint though....and the vinyl. We do a lot of police car repairs... We'll replace a whole side when they sideswipe someone, even when only 1 panel is replaced / painted. We've had a few times, maybe half a dozen where the whole side except the painted piece is fine...and the painted piece looks like its back in high school with a million little pimples.... All applied at the same time, using the same vinyl...same person. It's just the painted part that has issues.

Ever since we make them wait a week VS bringing it right over from the shop, havent had the issue once.

No idea how, or what was used to paint it, but it was an autobody shop. I'm sure every paint is different... When spray painting I don't think we've ever waited more than a day, but it doesn't hurt to wait, especially when using expensive vinyls - And if something was going to bubble up / get affected by paint thats still "offgassing", my guess is it'd be gold leaf. So I'd wait a few days before applying it... unless the customer is in a rush and is willing to waive any bubbling issues that may, or may not happen

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
That depends on the paint though....and the vinyl. We do a lot of police car repairs... We'll replace a whole side when they sideswipe someone, even when only 1 panel is replaced / painted. We've had a few times, maybe half a dozen where the whole side except the painted piece is fine...and the painted piece looks like its back in high school with a million little pimples.... All applied at the same time, using the same vinyl...same person. It's just the painted part that has issues.

Ever since we make them wait a week VS bringing it right over from the shop, havent had the issue once.

No idea how, or what was used to paint it, but it was an autobody shop. I'm sure every paint is different... When spray painting I don't think we've ever waited more than a day, but it doesn't hurt to wait, especially when using expensive vinyls - And if something was going to bubble up / get affected by paint thats still "offgassing", my guess is it'd be gold leaf. So I'd wait a few days before applying it... unless the customer is in a rush and is willing to waive any bubbling issues that may, or may not happen
We use about every type of paint under the sun, even occasionally waterborne. All the same story

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We won't guarantee vinyl graphics applied to "after market" paint on vehicles. Let them know that upfront, if there are issues with adhesion, we told you that was a possibility.

Station51Graphics

Well, are you using a metal or plastic plate ?? Is the paint gonna be oil based or latex "" Regardless, ya scare up the bare plate surface with about 600 paper. Spray it in 2 or 3 coats total going one way, then the other and back to the original after each coat is all but tacky. According to the paint, let it dry in a warm dry place for a few days. If ya wanna play it right, after the gold is on, clear it with about 10 or 15 coats of clear when finished for a dazzling appearance.

Station51Graphics

Thank you all for the responses.
The license plate is a prepainted metal.
The spraypaint is an acrylic automotive paint that was customized to match the color.
The goal is to wait a week once we get the color rich enough on the plate.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Since vinyl is gas permeable, what difference does it make whether you wait until the next ice age or slap it on immediately after painting?