• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sprout like computer

Does anyone remember... a couple weeks ago someone posted about a computer with a scanner on top. That will scan stuff in 3D. That when you set stuff up on the table in front of it would scan it and image it into the computer automatically.

rjssigns

Check out these: http://www.nextengine.com/products

IIRC this is what a friend of mine has. Although the mfg. makes it look and sound simple it isn't. Accuracy isn't bad at 0.1mm(0.393"), but the issue lies in getting an accurate scan.

Pretty sure they don't tell you the scanner likes to see a flat neutral gray surface. Well it does, and not just any cheap hardware store spray can job will hack it.

I also know that while it will generate a point mesh you still need to manually fix/fill holes and anomalies in that mesh. If you don't you get a lousy part.

That may be fine for some low end 3D extruding printer, but won't hack it with a million dollar SLA rig. Or a Centroid 5 axis CNC(he has one of those too)

Know exactly what you want to do then research what's available. Check out your local technical college or university. They will have top line equipment most of the time.

In a nutshell: Like most things people want to sell you they only used a hand built, tweaked out rig showcasing what it can do best.

rjssigns

Well if it picks up and the accuracy increases... just like anything else it will probably be pretty good someday, and relatively soon.

http://www.cmykthis.com

Would be nice to think so. Good scanners, software and output equipment is ridiculously expensive.

Just to keep his software up to date my friend spends about $10K a year. Solidworks, AutoCad, MasterCam along with a host of others geared towards his type of output.

Can't imagine doing that every year. I cringe when I have to buy a full set of inks for my printer.