• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Staggering numbers...........................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Lately, I've been looking around here at s101 and noticed the 'Like - Dislike - Thank You' posts are different. No big deal, but I'm always looking around for the non-obvious. Just a habit. Anyway, I noticed that most of the time in the last few weeks, there are somewhere between 5 to 6 times the number of guests here than members. Does that mean anything ?? It does to me, but then, what's it matter in the overall scope of things ?? :rolleyes:

Just had to take a look myself. Those are some pretty big differences. I find it hard to believe there are that many people actually using right now. Maybe something with the way the server counts active people.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not necessarily here actively on either side, but they are indeed logged in.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Not necessarily here actively on either side, but they are indeed logged in.

Yep parking lot looks full.....

guests.jpg

wayne k
guam usa

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Lately, I've been looking around here at s101 and noticed the 'Like - Dislike - Thank You' posts are different. No big deal, but I'm always looking around for the non-obvious. Just a habit. Anyway, I noticed that most of the time in the last few weeks, there are somewhere between 5 to 6 times the number of guests here than members. Does that mean anything ?? It does to me, but then, what's it matter in the overall scope of things ?? :rolleyes:

:pops_blinking: Good eye Gino.

I upgraded to the pro paid version of Likes/Dislikes last night. It has a couple of new features and I also changed the settings and layout a bit. A main difference is that when a post hits a certain amount of likes, thanks or dislikes, the background will change color to call more attention to it.

The guests to members count has always had about a 5 to 1 ratio. The guests are made up of non members and various bots and spiders from Google and other search engines. They cannot see image attachments or any forum which has a requirement of being a logged in member or a paid subscriber to view it.

Also added last night is a caching and optimizing mod that is making our pages display faster than before.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:thankyou:

Didn't notice the extra speed, until you mentioned it. I likie........... :thumb:

Didn't realize all that other garbage was considered guests, but it makes sense. If you were to make a edjamancated guess, what do you think that would break down to as far as spammers and all that other crap vs. actual guests, trollers/lurkers and whatnot ??

Just curious...............​

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
:thankyou:

Didn't notice the extra speed, until you mentioned it. I likie........... :thumb:

Didn't realize all that other garbage was considered guests, but it makes sense. If you were to make a edjamancated guess, what do you think that would break down to as far as spammers and all that other crap vs. actual guests, trollers/lurkers and whatnot ??
Just curious...............​

According to the control panel, the optimize mod has saved about 80,000 database queries in the last 10 hours.

Guesstimating, I would say it is about 25% search engine spiders, 65% individuals interested in reading content they were directed to by a search engine but who are not registered members, and 10% miscreants looking for a way to spam or harm us.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
According to the control panel, the optimize mod has saved about 80,000 database queries in the last 10 hours.

Guesstimating, I would say it is about 25% search engine spiders, 65% individuals interested in reading content they were directed to by a search engine but who are not registered members, and 10% miscreants looking for a way to spam or harm us.

Hey Fred..... If I got you 10 minutes with Obama, do you think you can talk him into a version for our borders down around Mexico and such ?? :rock-n-roll:

Vie haff vays of deelink wit dees volksenpeepil. :cool:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hey Fred..... If I got you 10 minutes with Obama, do you think you can talk him into a version for our borders down around Mexico and such ?? :rock-n-roll:

Vie haff vays of deelink wit dees volksenpeepil. :cool:

You and the President are like two peas in the same pod. I would guess that at least a week would be required to modify his thinking. :dog42

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You and the President are like two peas in the same pod. I would guess that at least a week would be required to modify his thinking. :dog42

Yeah, right. He's a black eyed pea and I'm a frickin' navy pea........................ from the same pod, nonetheless. :rolleyes: ..... and I ain't never been to Hawaii

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've just installed another new modification. This one is to private messages.

You may want to explore it a bit. There are controls in the left column for some of the features. Among the notable changes:

• You may now upload allowed files and images as attachments to your PMs as you do in thread posts.
  • You may create an auto response message ... for example if you will be away on vacation etc.
  • Registered members must have been a member for at least 7 days and made at least 10 posts before they may use the private messaging system. Paid subscribers are excluded from this limitation.
  • You have greater control over PM notifications and there is a new notification you may turn on that will notify you if a post you made is quoted in a reply by another member.

Have fun.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've just installed another new modification. This one is to private messages.

You may want to explore it a bit. There are controls in the left column for some of the features. Among the notable changes:

• You may now upload allowed files and images as attachments to your PMs as you do in thread posts.
  • You may create an auto response message ... for example if you will be away on vacation etc.
  • Registered members must have been a member for at least 7 days and made at least 10 posts before they may use the private messaging system. Paid subscribers are excluded from this limitation.
  • You have greater control over PM notifications and there is a new notification you may turn on that will notify you if a post you made is quoted in a reply by another member.

Have fun

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that one take away your ability to see or at least control illegal things going on back there. If it's private, people can be shoving wrongful files back and forth and now you won't be able to control it. Soliciting behind these closed doors is bad enough, but to have the power to send files back and forth... I always thought you were against it ?? :doh: You also won't be able to correct files up/downloaded incorrectly like the off-site things you are always doing. Perhaps back there that part won't matter, but the movement of possible wrong files seems odd.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that one take away your ability to see or at least control illegal things going on back there. If it's private, people can be shoving wrongful files back and forth and now you won't be able to control it. Soliciting behind these closed doors is bad enough, but to have the power to send files back and forth... I always thought you were against it ?? :doh: You also won't be able to correct files up/downloaded incorrectly like the off-site things you are always doing. Perhaps back there that part won't matter, but the movement of possible wrong files seems odd.

The same limitations on file size and format still apply. There have always been ways around it anyway for someone intent on illegal file sharing. The inability to attach a normal image in a PM was, to me, a more important problem to be resolved.

The new limitations on using the PM system should go a long way towards preventing the behind the scenes activity you mention.

graphicwarning

How are attachments from PM's stored? A publicly posted attachment is just that... public. But if I send a PM to another user for example that contains an attachment with sensitive information, is this file encrypted and unviewable to anyone that has admin privileges to the server? Or is it simply stored in a directory as it exists, and you for example could browse to that directory on the server and view it?

I'm not advocating sending sensitive information through the PM system, much like we shouldn't via email. But I am just curious how the files are stored, and who has access to them?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
How are attachments from PM's stored? A publicly posted attachment is just that... public. But if I send a PM to another user for example that contains an attachment with sensitive information, is this file encrypted and unviewable to anyone that has admin privileges to the server? Or is it simply stored in a directory as it exists, and you for example could browse to that directory on the server and view it?

I'm not advocating sending sensitive information through the PM system, much like we shouldn't via email. But I am just curious how the files are stored, and who has access to them?

I'm not certain without researching it, as far as PM attachments go, but regular thread attachments are stored in an array on the server which is very much unfriendly to browsing. Much more geared towards finding a specific attachment if you know the number of it. There are, at this point, tens of thousands of attachments stored in the array. My best guess is that PM attachments are stored in the same array.

Attachment files are not encrypted but access to the server is very limited. Only myself, our server maintenance contractor and an occasional contractor hired to fix an issue or install software. I really don't think there's any security issue with attachments in PMs, but if it concerns you, then don't use the feature.

graphicwarning

I'm not certain without researching it, as far as PM attachments go, but regular thread attachments are stored in an array on the server which is very much unfriendly to browsing. Much more geared towards finding a specific attachment if you know the number of it. There are, at this point, tens of thousands of attachments stored in the array. My best guess is that PM attachments are stored in the same array.

Attachment files are not encrypted but access to the server is very limited. Only myself, our server maintenance contractor and an occasional contractor hired to fix an issue or install software. I really don't think there's any security issue with attachments in PMs, but if it concerns you, then don't use the feature.

Makes sense... I was curious more than anything, but the info is appreciated and likely may be useful for others! :thankyou:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
must the colors be so loud???

Oh, I guess a subtle mauve or muted earth tan might spark your inner loins, huh ?? We could always stimulate you with a periwinkle blue or tart pink.

Whatda..... you just want Edna to come back, you sick-O