• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting on my own

After many years working for a BOSS. I decide to stat on my own.
Start budget $5000 (I got all hand tools and some supplies ).I don't have any personal debt of any kind but I will start with a garage and two other room in my house. I want to find used vinyl cutter with 24" cutting width. (don't know which one I only experience with roland printer and cutter) I'm thinking something under $600. About printer I have no clue what i can find under $3000, so any ideas are welcome. Also laminator on the list after first few orders.

tattoo.dan

wow. i hope you spell check your work better than your first post! i love ppl like you in my area! WELCOME FROM SO. IL:U Rock:

starting a whole shop for under 10 grand!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Congratulations....now you'll have hundreds of bosses...but it's very doable if you have the right temperment.

Make sure you have a solid business plan.

JB

ProWraps

so you got fired and your going to be your BOSS' competition.

anyone from the area want to speculate who the BOSS was?

tattoo.dan

hey i live at home with my parents so i have no bills and want to start a business for 5 grand...can you guys help me so i can low ball and steal customers then go outta business in less than a year? and damage the market for good? oh and thank you...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
so you got fired and your going to be your BOSS' competition.

anyone from the area want to speculate who the BOSS was?

This one is too easy.......

Attachments

• bruce-springsteen-1.jpg
    bruce-springsteen-1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 58
  • whos-the-boss1.jpg
    whos-the-boss1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 50
  • MickJagger_ShesTheBoss.jpg
    MickJagger_ShesTheBoss.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 59
  • TheBossBookCover.jpg
    TheBossBookCover.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 49
  • m5lp-1111-procharger-boss-302-boost-the-boss-x000.jpg
    m5lp-1111-procharger-boss-302-boost-the-boss-x000.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

wedosigns

I hope he lives at home, that way he won't have to eat out of kfc's bin out back. Now there he would have some competition:tongue:

Locals Find!

Start subcontracting your printing first. Once you last 2 years and you have some reputation built up and some quality work then go out on your own.

Buying the plotter is not a bad idea at all but, with a $5,000 budget your going to need most of that just to make your business legal between corporate filings etc...

I wish you luck as I respect anyone trying to stand on there own two feet at your age and do something productive rather than just sitting around smoking dope in mom's basement.

To some grow up, to other thank you.

1. Sorry for the spelling, I was in a hurry.
2. When I was hired for my last job I told my boss of my intention for opening my own shop.
3. I have NO intention to low balling anybody, and garage office just for few month. Found decent store front for $700/mo.
4. All LLC and local licenses done. Total cost $275.
5. I own my house and have money to buy local sign shop but I want to start from small and grow it, there is market for another sign shop for my aria.
So take your smart *** opinions somewhere else.
I really need your opinion on second hand cutters and printers.
Thank you.

qmr55

1. Sorry for the spelling, I was in a hurry.
2. When I was hired for my last job I told my boss of my intention for opening my own shop.
3. I have NO intention to low balling anybody, and garage office just for few month. Found decent store front for $700/mo.
4. All LLC and local licenses done. Total cost $275.
5. I own my house and have money to buy local sign shop but I want to start from small and grow it, there is market for another sign shop for my aria.
So take your smart *** opinions somewhere else.
I really need your opinion on second hand cutters and printers.
Thank you.

area*

And my opinion on second hand cutters? Don't.

Buy a graphtec or a roland, or even a summa...never used one but many here can vouch for them.

sar bossier

Alex - I think you received a little sound advice - I would start with a Plotter, and vinyls, outsource the printing until you grow your market, THEN worry about the printer. There are many little things you will need JUST for plotter work, it adds up really quickly. With a small budget, start small, and build/buy as you grow. For plotters used, try craigslist, e-bay, maybe even manufacturer sites, or get a new one, since your budget is small. In the merchant directory here, you will find several businesses that sell plotters.

OldPaint

i have had 4 plotters over the years.........NEVER HAVE I BOUGHT A NEW ONE, everyone has been a ROLAND..........PNC-1000 i started with, payed $1600 for it sold it for $500. bought 2 PNC-1100 each was a grand. sold each for $500. got a CX-300........now, never had a problem with any of them because they wasnt new.
SOOOO buying a new chinese cutter is not a good way to go. find a used ROLAND, SUMMA, GRAPHTEC from the get go..........and you will have 1 less problem in your life.