• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question static electricity on sheets of coro....

netsol

yesterday i printed about 15 4'x6' 4mm coro sheets
we cut them a few days previous, wiped them down with large alcohol wipes a couple times and printed
all went fine

this morning i am doing a handful of 4'x8' for the same customer.
when i removed the first sheet from the cart, there was quite a bit of static electricity, the hair on my arms stood up

wiped down the same way and all is going fine, but, i know the common wisdom is that i will be better off buying a full pallet of coro, so no greasy fingerprints

doesn't this mean the full pallet will open the door to static electricity problems in the winter

(obviously i have too much time on my hands, no real problems so i have to make one)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We sell plastic engraving material and some of it is metalized. If you pull more than 1 or 2 sheets out at a time, you get a strong enough shock to make your muscles spasm!

There are air guns and a deionizer at the end.
There are more expensive and cheaper ones. Take a look at the article and search in google, AliExpress for cheaper versions. May be Frazer for something expensive.
Take a look at this site as well.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Fancy electro anti static gadgets don't seem to work for me. I get static electrocuted on a regular basis. My nemesis is sheets of HIPS, polystyrene. On a day when I have to print a lot, like 20+ sheets... Static shock all day long. doesn't help when the tables are metal... But I adjust.

netsol

There are air guns and a deionizer at the end.
There are more expensive and cheaper ones. Take a look at the article and search in google, AliExpress for cheaper versions. May be Frazer for something expensive.
Take a look at this site as well.
i always recommend them, when someone has static problems.
probably my next acquisition ( i love new toys!)

PW66

I used to have a static problem back in the day when I screen printed large amounts of corro. I found the best method was a simple electrostic duster across the surface - fluff it up and go.
Worked great with solvent screen inks, but I have no idea if it would be good enough for a digital printer

Dale D

After ruining a plotter touchscreen due to static($240) and being shocked every day, I tried ionizers and fans, which didnt work. I eventually added a humidifier big enough to raise the humidity. (even though a/c removes humidity) Once I got it around 60% it felt cooler and 98% of the static stopped.

netsol

i have not had any probllems with this YET but i was concerned, as we get busier, if we buy pallet of coro, the increased static taking the sheet off the pile.
it seems to dissipate as it sits

i have been a tech for 50 years & am well familiar with the damage static does to electronics
i get on my soap box every year, to remind everyone to use grounding straps & add a humidifier in heating season to save those system boards
(nobody needs to absorb a $3000 hit for a system board, it's so easy to kill a usb port or network port on a printer/plotter)

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
The best thing I have found to get rid of static is to keep hi powered magnets either in a pocket or attached to a work table. The magnetic field absorbs the static.

Aaron Hunter

We have moved from pallet Coro to boxed mostly so we can move a box or 2 into our climate controlled area to a-climate s couple of days prior. We wipe most of the boards with 80/20 ISO & water mix. We've also added a stand alone humidifier to help our inline system.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Time to disassemble some old hard drives. Today, sheets of 5mm pvc (filmed both faces, 'cos that seems to help) decided the best route to ground, while loading them on the panel cutter, was the frame of my glasses.Repeated zpas to the centre of my eyebrow.
The best thing I have found to get rid of static is to keep hi powered magnets either in a pocket or attached to a work table. The magnetic field absorbs the static.
We wipe most of the boards with 80/20 ISO & water mix.

80/20 mix - any particular reason? I'm normally lazy and use straight 99%, unless I'm following the 3M wall prep method

netsol

We have moved from pallet Coro to boxed mostly so we can move a box or 2 into our climate controlled area to a-climate s couple of days prior. We wipe most of the boards with 80/20 ISO & water mix. We've also added a stand alone humidifier to help our inline system.
i use those 6"x 7" alcohol wipes cvs & walgreens sells

QUESTION: Why do they call them "alcohol wipes" when they are bone dry when you open the container?

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
You don't order (freedom units) 10L containers, and decant into spray bottles?