• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sticky Situation

eforer

Hey Guys,

Generally, I rewind any banner material that is reverse wound as I tend to do longer runs and find that running it reverse requires too much baby sitting. I use alot of Sihl materials and all their banners come reverse wound, so I am used to spending a fair amount of time rewinding it using my laminator. Kind of a pain, but I'd rather spend the time rewinding and let the prints run autonomously. (If anyone has some better methods of re-rolling I'm all ears!).

Anyways, thus far adhering to the above practice, I have never really had many problems with banners. Last night I got a rush order from one of my regulars for some banners. I had just picked up a roll of the 3109 double sided material and figured: "great, I won't have to re-roll it." Here's the bizzare thing, in the process of re-rolling my previous rolls of single sided material, I never noticed how much the material sticks to itself. Re-winding it breaks that initial high level of stickiness and makes it flow off the roll much better.

Long story short, I loaded up the 3109 out of the box, pulled it through to the take up reel, set my media comp and started printing. I kept half an eye on it through the window of my office and all looked okay. A few hours later I come grab the prints and to my horror, I have a very regular on off banding pattern. I ran another banner off and watched it like a hawk. I noticed that the stickiness of the material caused the media to feed incorrectly once it had advanced past the section that had been sort of pre-released by me when I load the machine (the first 8-10 inches). Once it got past the section that had been unstuck in the loading process, the material would sort of bind up and not flow off the roll correctly. In cross section, the leading edge of the media came off the roll more like a chord through the roll rather than a tangent. It just puts too much load on the grit roller motors and F's the media comp to the point where you can't really chase it down during the print!

Anyone else have similar issues? Also, has anyone devised a quickie way of re-rolling banners. I hate the way I'm doing it now, although its not the worst thing in the world.

ColesCreations

Is there a way to load it into the mimaki, and force-run it onto the take-up-roller? (Just rolling it through the printer with the pinch wheels up...)

Don't know if this is a good idea, but sure a lot less work than using the laminator...

iSign

why don't you just get forward wound rolls then?

BINGO!

actually, I was going to say shop for a different media, but even another reverse wound media might be better. I use Optisolv banner media from Advantage sign supply. It is reverse wound, & is a little sticky, which I don't like either... but it works better then your situation.

thewood

Try another banner material. I actually prefer my banner (and all other media) to be reverse-wound. It stays pristine during storage and is much easier to handle this way. I routinely print full rolls of RW banner, unattended overnight with zero problems with sticking, banding, etc.

KARYN BUSH

i totally like my material reverse wound...as i hate seeing my paw print from moving the roll when i forget to put on my gloves.

eforer

I've actually never had a banner show up with a finger/hand print. I use face out ultraflexx, but there are certain materials from sihl that I really like and they are only wound face in. I talked to sihl about the problem and learned that the stickiness is actually a defect in manufacturing on the 3109 and they took it back.

As an aside, I've talked to many people who are happy to run material wound face in unattended, but thus far I've been pretty unsuccessful doing that. I'm just going to stay face out. One of the reasons I love triangle ink is that it just sticks to everything pretty well, even if its contaminated. One of the benefits of going with a harsher solvent ink is that its not super picky.

jiarby

Ultraflex jams up on my 1604 Mutoh... I have to watch it, even on short runs and unroll a few feet manually, then do it again until the job is done. This will be my last roll of ultraflex. Mahler? We'll see.

thewood

i totally like my material reverse wound...as i hate seeing my paw print from moving the roll when i forget to put on my gloves.

I'm with ya, Karyn!

One of the reasons I love triangle ink is that it just sticks to everything pretty well, even if its contaminated. One of the benefits of going with a harsher solvent ink is that its not super picky.

We love the Triangle JVS ink, too, eforer. However, I still get handprints, etc, when the media is contaminated.

eforer

I'm with ya, Karyn!

We love the Triangle JVS ink, too, eforer. However, I still get handprints, etc, when the media is contaminated.

Really? I wear gloves most of the time, but I'm not particularly careful and have never really had any problems. I did find that with SS2 I'd end up with a finger print every once in awhile, never with JVS though.

As far as ultraflexx jamming, I've not had a problem with any material jamming or bunching when would face out and loaded correctly. If I use face in, I have to advance it manually a few feet at a time and baby sit it a little to avoid problems. This is due in part to the fact that I run my head height low on everything up to 13oz materials, so I have to be a little more careful about bunching as its easy to get a head strike. On 15oz I generally raise the head.