• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Still have original edge printer

dakotasignwerks

thanks-

i will play around with it and see what else i may need to learn. could be days before, but yall rock with the info so far!!!!!!

again thanks to all who have gotten me this far

dakotasignwerks

i finally got machine to print my logo with gradient. whoo hooo!!!!! now to try something more complex...........

one question though---do i need to design so colors are not overlapped or just apply primer (yup found that one on my own--shocking i know) then foil?

dakotasignwerks

oops- one more thing....... how the heck do you get the letters like "o,d,p, etc" to not be filled? hmmmmm again it is graphix adv. software. thanks

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
i finally got machine to print my logo with gradient. whoo hooo!!!!! now to try something more complex...........

one question though---do i need to design so colors are not overlapped or just apply primer (yup found that one on my own--shocking i know) then foil?

The answer there is that it just depends. If you are printing spot colors and two colors touch, it is normal to select both and issue a "choke and spread" command which automates the overlapping and assigns an overprint attribute to the top color. If you don't do this, then the top color will knock out the bottom color and leave a hairline of the background showing.

If you are printing with process colors, then chokes and spreads aren't normally needed because percentage fills pick up where the other leaves off.

Using a primer is something I do about one out of 1,000 jobs. I'd be curious to hear what the job is like that you are using primer.

dakotasignwerks

when importing a file (say an .eps or .jpg) to composer, how do the colors from the original transpose over to the composer file after doing the file convert? or do i need to re-input the colors once converted? would make for impossible on gradient fills of more than one color.

dakotasignwerks

I'd be curious to hear what the job is like that you are using primer.[/quote]

i was printing on gray vinyl (hey its what i had) and trying to get a yellow to orange fade. turned out nice too, if i may say so myself.

J Hill Designs

I almost never trust colors brought over to composer for an edge job...I always have to reenter them all - how would composer know that a dark blue would use cobalt foil or a cmyk...

Tel

No just use choke/spread in Omega if you are using it, read the help file in Omega about choke and spread. I have an old original edge which uses the parallel port connection and it works fine on Omega, when we originally gor it we used GA but soon moved on to Omega, we export our work in corel in CMX flie format and import them into Omega OK.
As for continous runs from edge to plotter we do the same as Fred.
regards
Tel