• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Streaks In Print

Tony Rome

This happens to me from time to time, and I seriously can't remember what it is that causes it, or how I was able to fix it in the past.
Does this look familiar to anyone?
These streaks, is it not laying down enough ink in these specific areas, it always seems to look the same when it does it, always vertical, and in the same place.

I tried different profiles.
If I change form Draft to Standard in gets a little bit better but still noticeable, I have never had to print on best so I am not trying that (not even an option for the icc profile)

Roland SP540V
Oracal 3165RA Gloss

Using correct profile.

Anyone use anything other than PrePress, like Sign and Display or Max Impact?
I experienced with different heater settings but ended up with best results default 40/40

Thanks!

Attachments

• streaks.jpg
    streaks.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 120

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm on my tablet, and I can't see any streaks. Can you take a closer shot ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm on my tablet, and I can't see any streaks. Can you take a closer shot ??

Could it possibly be roller/pincher marks ??

player

I can see them. They are running down the roll length. They are places where the ink is printing lighter, at each red arrow he has placed.

As I recall some have found it too be bad media. Will it do this on all material?

Have you tried cleaning the encoder strip?

Is the file a PDF? I learned by experience PDF can gooof up, and I use eps instead now.

studebaker

Deluded Artist
I've found that the feed rollers will cause this on particular media. I will usually send a rectangle of brown at the bottom of the actual print to keep the media moving through the printer and not affect the vinyl quite as much before they roll over the area that I want to be streak free. I've since quit buying media that exhibits roller marks like that.

Is it just that background area that is banding? What is the cmyk value for this? Is it a full rich black setting?

Something like c: 75%, m 68%, y 67%, k 90% ? If so, we know it should be laying down enough ink. If it is straight black 0, 0, 0, 100% I would print a nozzle check to make sure it is the spray.

Here is a link to further explanation on the black settings:
http://www.bannerstanddeals.com/rich-black-settings-for-large-format-printing/

If that isn't it, I would try a different material just to rule out the possibility of a bad batch.

I couldn't really see from the image, but is the middle content section printing ok, or is it just the solid border area?

Attachments

• Rich-Black-vs-True-Black-in-Large-Format-Printing-672x350.png
    Rich-Black-vs-True-Black-in-Large-Format-Printing-672x350.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 102

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I can't see it that well, but I'm pretty certain that's coming from your pinch rollers. A good cleaning (or replacing them) will resolve it.

Karen-Kang

This happens to me from time to time, and I seriously can't remember what it is that causes it, or how I was able to fix it in the past.
Does this look familiar to anyone?
These streaks, is it not laying down enough ink in these specific areas, it always seems to look the same when it does it, always vertical, and in the same place.

I tried different profiles.
If I change form Draft to Standard in gets a little bit better but still noticeable, I have never had to print on best so I am not trying that (not even an option for the icc profile)

Roland SP540V
Oracal 3165RA Gloss

Using correct profile.

Anyone use anything other than PrePress, like Sign and Display or Max Impact?
I experienced with different heater settings but ended up with best results default 40/40

Thanks!
The vertical banding is belong to the head electricity problem.

gabagoo

I can't tell you why your getting streaks, but I have found that with my printer that printing on cheap gloss always prints crappy. I always prefer to print on a matte as I never seem to have print issues. I then can laminate it gloss or matte depending on the customers needs.

Tony Rome

I'm not sure what "head electricity problem" really means, could you be more specific?
Definitively not the pinch rollers.
I am leaning towards gloss vinyl, I think it has only happened with Oracal 3165RA. I was just using matte and didn't have the problem, until I switched back to gloss.
Maybe I will try Avery.

I did try printing the same thing again today and it seemed to go away.
I uses MCVP profile (even though I am using a gloss film), who knows what is going on, just glad I can print again.

gabagoo

I'm not sure what "head electricity problem" really means, could you be more specific?
Definitively not the pinch rollers.
I am leaning towards gloss vinyl, I think it has only happened with Oracal 3165RA. I was just using matte and didn't have the problem, until I switched back to gloss.
Maybe I will try Avery.

I did try printing the same thing again today and it seemed to go away.
I uses MCVP profile (even though I am using a gloss film), who knows what is going on, just glad I can print again.

For the sake of not having the headache just print on matte and laminate gloss. Someone basically gave me a cheap roll of offshore vinyl that I am sure sells for no more than $100.00 (54") and I have been using it for the cheap coro signs or for people that are just plain cheap. This stuff sucks, prints like crap and I keep forgetting that it just isn't worth the trouble lol:banghead:

kanini

I can't see it that well, but I'm pretty certain that's coming from your pinch rollers. A good cleaning (or replacing them) will resolve it.

+1 for this. We hade the same problem on a SP-540i. It turns out the pinch rollers was very dirty and sticky and had never been cleaned. They should be yellowish/brown - ours was black and sticky. Really made a difference, didn't think it would but it did. So try that first if you haven't cleaned them in a while. Good luck!

Tony Rome

+1 for this. We hade the same problem on a SP-540i. It turns out the pinch rollers was very dirty and sticky and had never been cleaned. They should be yellowish/brown - ours was black and sticky. Really made a difference, didn't think it would but it did. So try that first if you haven't cleaned them in a while. Good luck!

Once again, definitely not the pinch rollers.
The lines do not match up at all with the streaks, but it was the first thing I though.
Wish it were that simple.
Thanks.