• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stuck in a hard place.

jimmyheartcore

Hey guys!

I am in need of some advice on our current situation. Be warned, it is a long and boring story, but we're kind of at the end of our rope and need some advice.

I have been working at my current job for a little over a month. My employers purchased a brand new Mutoh ValueJet 1614 last August, and have been experiencing a lot of problems. Most notably, a vertical banding issue that is prevalent and consistent. The ironic thing is that the 1614 has a "Wave Pattern Technology" that is supposed to eliminate banding. The dealer has led us through many possibilities in regards to the issue, including using crappy material, improper settings, and incorrect ICC profiles. None of these issues have fixed the problem. It is part of my job here to figure all of this out and get this printer properly running.

Come to find out, when the printer was delivered all of the shock sensors were broken. The driver signed off on this, and it was reported to the dealer immediately. The sale associate instructed us to accept the shipment, and said he was noting it in our file.

Over several months we reported various issues with the printer to the dealer, the most predomenant being the vertical banding issue. When I began here, I had never seen an issue like the banding they were experiencing. It was very sporadic but consistent at the same time. It wasn't ligning up to the rollers, nor the fan/vacuum. I became very proactive about fixing the issue when I started here.

We have had techs come out several times to fix the printer, but the problem is never fixed. Though different things will make the print improved, they just seem to act as a bandaid on the issue.

The dealer recently sent a tech out to service the machine, after which we decided that adjusting the head height and slant improved the print considerably, but the bands were still visible. He assured us that with the information about the damaged shipment, and his reputation and service history at Mutoh, he would be able to get us a working replacement sent out. He apologized for the issue not being fixed sooner, and told us how the sales person who sold us the machine was fired months ago for not properly performing his job.

Once he returned back to the dealer, his boss wrote us a letter stating that they are "not prepared to take any additional actions and this matter will be considered resolved". However, the issue isn't resolved, and the printer is still under warranty. Oh, and it is still printing those awful vertical bands.

We are running out of time on the 1-year warranty, and short on ideas.

My employers are very upset with our dealer currently, and it seems like whenever I try and get help directly from Mutoh they either plainly ignore me or forward me to the dealer (who isn't helping much).

What do you guys think we should try?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Pat Whatley

Once he returned back to the dealer, his boss wrote us a letter stating that they are "not prepared to take any additional actions and this matter will be considered resolved"

Sent you a letter instead of calling and discussing it? Time to lawyer up.

It's really hard to believe that the salepeople and Mutoh are really just abandoning you, though.

You might want to repost this in the Mutoh forum and with a better header to your post so that somebody that can help might see it and pay attention. "Stuck in a hard place" isn't really telling anybody anything.

jimmyheartcore

Here are a couple of images of the banding.

I feel like I've tried everything, but it doesn't hurt to suggest!

Oh, please disregard the fingerprints -- I know what causes those. Ha!

wadervbanding01.jpg
wadervbanding02.jpg

What do you guys think we should do about the dealer / Mutoh situation too?

Last edited by a moderator:

Erikka@Rainier

I think your employers should file a suit if the dealer doesn't honor the warranty. I also think that the next time you (or anyone) receive a printer or other equipment that has damaged sensors, you should not accept the shipment and have it sent back to its origin. I'm sorry to hear that you are having so many issues with this printer, and it sounds like the dealer is a POS and you should cease doing business with them.

SE SignSupply is right, there are a lot of people on the forum that should be able to guide you through this, but I would stress the importance of pursuing a replacement with the dealer before the warranty runs out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA................

Post the most horrible prints along with the ones you're selling to customers.

You didn't mention if your company has any other printers, but their biggest argument is going to be... if you're selling product, it must be acceptable..... by someone.

I truly believe you waited entirely too long to get things solved.

jimmyheartcore

Welcome from PA................

Post the most horrible prints along with the ones you're selling to customers.

You didn't mention if your company has any other printers, but their biggest argument is going to be... if you're selling product, it must be acceptable..... by someone.

I truly believe you waited entirely too long to get things solved.

The banding issue is less apparent in some colors. We have lost customers, and have comped orders due to the printer's output. Some of the prints come out okay, like I said -- it all depends on the colors. But even in the prints that are "okay" the banding is still there. A customer might not notice it, because they don't know to look for it. But I see it, and that is bad enough.

I agree that they waited way too long, this is their first printer and after the shock sensor thing they set up the printer and it appeared to be doing fine. After printing for a couple weeks they realized that the vertical banding was happening, and put in a support ticket for it. The dealer led them around all of the different issues (material, settings, etc.) and my employers thought it was something they were doing wrong, not the printer, because the dealer led them to believe that.

luggnut

i've had that vertical banding... it was the heaters in my mutoh falcon. i think tecdaddy/prowraps had a thread with heater issues on his valujet. and some form of this banding...

I would suggest consulting a lawyer, If the delivery driver signed off on the damaged shock sensors and the machine will not print correctly I would say list the delivery company and the dealer and Mutoh itself as defendants in a lawsuit to recover the cost or replace the printer.
These machines are very heavy and some delivery trucks,especially small box vans do not have Air ride suspension........hitting rail road tracks sends anything not strapped to the floor into the air............
I am wondering if you have a certain amount of time to file damaged goods in shipping............
a 30 to 40 thousand dollar printer is not something you want to use for a doorstop

rm25x

I would have refused shipment on something with that high of a $$ amount if all the shock watch sensors were broken, period. Thats crazy if they told you to accept it...