• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stupid google images background?

jdb

Anyone know how to get back to a nice uncluttered white background page? The new images they've put up this morning SUCK!

R08

Wow.. I thought the one I saw was quite nice. Why do you 'have' to have their page open? Most browsers allow for google searching without even going to the google homepage.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
All I see is a white Google logo that appears to be impressed into the page. Very plain, yet quite appealing.

Well, crap...two minutes later the photo appeared. The options at the bottom only let you select more photos. Looks like Google has been hijacked by some artists guild.

JB

dwt

What you need is 'no script' to block the cookie. It's free and stops alot of the simple data mining. Make sure you allow yahooapis for S101 or all of your post will include a thumbs down icon.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
looks like they copied bing.com

yea...but google doesn't have the cute little boxes that give interesting little facts about the background like bing does.....

i actually switched to using bing just because i like seeing the new image every day....

J Hill Designs

There's always www.blackle.com
Which is their energy saving page. Its what I use.

The notion that black screens save electricity certainly makes sense when you're talking about cathode-ray tube, or CRT, technology that works by moving an electron beam back and forth across the back of the screen. "The front screen is covered with red, blue and green phosphors," says Bill Schindler, vice president of electrical engineering for Panasonic Plasma Display Laboratory of America. To produce white, the electron beam is directed at the phosphors. However, "when the screen is black, you don't have to fire the beam," he adds.
CRT monitors, which until a few years ago were the predominant models among PC users, consume more power when a computer screen is white. To confirm this, Schindler measured the energy output of an 18-inch (45.7-centimeter) CRT monitor and found it used 102 watts when the screen was white but only 79 watts when the display was black.

This is not the case, however, with LCD monitors, which have no phosphors and represent the lion's share of every new monitored purchased in the developed world, including those used by laptops. Instead, LCD displays rely on an array of thin-tube fluorescent bulbs that provide a constant source of light to create a white screen. To make it black, LCDs rely on a diffuser to block this light. As a result, LCDs use more energy than CRTs to display a black screen. Measuring a 17-inch (43-centimeter) LCD monitor, Schindler found that white required 22.6 watts, while black came in a tad higher at 23.2 watts. With a 20-inch (50.8-centimeter) LCD, black required 6 percent more energy than white.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fact-or-fiction-black-is

:thumb:

Pat Whatley

Really, if that's the biggest thing you've got to bitch about you're doing pretty damn good for yourself! :ROFLMAO: