• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Subcontractor agreements?

Forty One

I'm finding it a little hit & miss at current using subbies for install work.
They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but I am finding it hard to deal with them if/when something goes wrong with an install.
I'm thinking about creating a formal agreement between me and the subbies that basically make them responsible for their work.
EG. A client has complained about some small bubbles in a window covering recently installed.
These bubbles are minor, but are really emphasised that it's basically all black and in the sun. unfortunately these bubbles are also at eye level.

The client returned to their store about a week after us completing the works and noticed them.
In this time, I've already paid my installer. I usually pay in 7 days from job completion.
I told the installer that they need to go back and rectify this, but it seems the urgency for him to do this has left the ball park.
He's approach is "I'll get to it next time I'm around there", and now two weeks have passed.
I keep telling him that my client isn't paying as the job is incomplete/defected. But he's definately holding up his end of the conversation.

So, has anyone drafted or inacted a subbie agreement with their installers that make them responsible for defects?
I'm thinking some kind of terms that state any defect must be amended within a particular timeframe or penalties, non payment of invoices etc will be inacted.

It would be great knowing if anyone here has done something similar, and the pros & cons for this.

netsol

Many of the "big guys" take work from large accounts, all over the country.
You end up using installers you have never met, and with no history with them.
You are assuming a certain risk, since not every installer is reputable & many can be downright sloppy in the quality of their finished work.

You certainly have my sympathies, but, the sub may only want to make good if they have a resonable expectation of additional, good paying work in the future

Have a good attorney draw up that sub agreement. I doubt you are an expert on contract law & different states have very different laws

njkreger

The Swiss-Army Knife for Sign Shops
Here's a sub agreement that one sign shop uses in the U.S., and it is highly recommended and advised that you consult with your own attorney to finalize a sub contract for your business needs and within the laws of the country/state/province you operate in:

https://eye4group.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/subcontractor-agreement.pdf

Source: https://eye4group.com/partner-application/

The one above does cover payment terms and warranty by the sub, which is I think what you're looking to cover. And BTW, this is a PDF that is publicly available, otherwise I wouldn't share it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I sub out large installs all over the country. No amount of disclosures will help you. They barely can read an email...let alone the disclosure you want them to agree to. The fact is, you WILL have problems with some jobs ..sometimes big problems. It's up to you to get it rectified in a timely manner and satisfy the customer. They don't care if the person you used is a flake and taking too long. Hire someone else to go out there and fix it.

Just this week I had an installer not follow directions and I wanted him to go back and correct it. He started arguing all over the place and ignored all the BOLD red messaging at the top of every page I sent him that said "ALL CHANGES OR DEVIATIONS NEED TO BE APPROVED BY "ME" ONLY". If you don't install according to these plans we are not liable for charges to return and correct". All that and the guy refuses to correct and after I told him I have to hire someone else and will take that out of your pay, he threatened to take signs down. I've since come to an agreement with this unprofessional installer, and it's costing more $$ which isn't right, but I have to do what needs to be done to get the job completed on time and make the customer happy.

How much could it possibly cost to get someone out there to pop a few bubbles? Stop being a penny pincher, no one likes a cheap guy. Problems will cost you money, and sometimes it's best not to take a hard stand on being wronged.. remember the goal is to get the job done right and move on to the next. We're in business for ourselves, which means there is a risk of loosing money. Don't be afraid of that for the bigger picture.

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

For this job, just hire someone else to fix it, eat the cost and move on.

In future, tell your subs you need either high resolution photos of the complete job or a signed site inspection from the client before they get paid. If they don't supply the signed form, call the client and say you are checking in on the job and want to make sure they are happy before you send your final invoice, this will ensure the client is happy before you pay your sub, and also shows the client you care about the quality of their project.

gnubler

Following.

How are you all even finding subs? Referrals or advertising?
Do your subs have to carry their own insurance?

njkreger

The Swiss-Army Knife for Sign Shops
Following.

How are you all even finding subs? Referrals or advertising?
Do your subs have to carry their own insurance?
Most of my clients have found their subs via referrals/word-of-mouth, or if they see someone around town installing a sign, they stop and ask for their info. :)

Z SIGNS

This is what you get when you sub out work. One bubble can make a customer unhappy. Who can install vinyl with no bubbles? Think your gonna find a vinyl wizard that can do flawless work. This is why I refuse to install stickers for other companies.