• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SumaCut D140FX

PrintItBig

Hi,

Thinking about getting a SumaCut D140FX. This would be our first vinyl cutter as we’ve been print only until this point.

Can anyone help us with the following please?...

How does the FX model differ to the non FX model? What are we not going to be able to do with it that we could with the more expensive models? Are we going to regret going for the cheaper option?

Thanks.

FrankW

The regular 140 have a network port and is more variable with usable media widths (FX works with a few fixed media widths only, the R with variable media widths). According to the fact that a summa cutter could last 10 years or more, you should think over to buy the „regular“ one, it will not cost mich more per year than the FX, but with more functionality. The FX is ok for contour cutting, but will have some disadvantages with regular vinyl cutting.

PrintItBig

Thanks for the info. Are they the only differences? If so, I must admit to being tempted as it’s 30% cheaper than the non FX version here.

The model I’m looking at is listed as “SummaCut R D140FX Cutter (with LAN)” so I assume it includes a network port?

It would be used almost exclusively for print and cut with 54” media. Possibly some cut only 24” vinyl occasionally.

FrankW

I haven‘t heard about a 140FX with LAN, and regularly (as a Summa Dealer) I should have this information. But could be that I have missed something. The OEM HP Latex Basic Cutter is a 140FX with LAN, but I wouldn‘t buy that OEM machine separately (some dealers have bought the bundles and sold the plotters separately), because there are some HP specialties (for example an own barcode type).

As long as you would use the machine mostly for contour cutting, than it is a good choice, because thats the intended use for that machine.