• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S160 Registration Marks Illustrator PC

Olen Myhre

We just purchased a S160T with OPOS CAM.
We've connected the plotter via USB to PC running Flexi and was a breeze to get going with cutting vinyl. Doing great with that aspect.
Problem is getting setup for contour cutting with registration marks. We were previously doing just fine using the Mimaki potter we had and the FineCut pluggin for Illustrator (most recent cloud version). Even though we mostly plot with Flexi, we use Illustrator for all our contour cutting.

I have attempted to look at the download section of the Summa website but the options are nearly endless with a huge range of different softwares. I'm not familiar with any of them or what they are for so was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I reached out to Summa via their website two days ago but have still not heard back from them. I also installed the GoSign v2.5.1.2 thinking that might be the "piece of the puzzle" we were missing but it will not even see our plotter as it is USB connected and apparently GoSign is exclusively for network connected devices.

Surely there is a fairly simple way of doing this but I'm at a loss as to how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Current Windows 11 with all updates
Current AI
Don't think it should matter but using Rasterlink for RIP. I say that because with our previous Mimaki setup, the RIP simply received the EPS and printed it. The AI plugin was "where the magic happened" both in creating the registration marks in Illustrator and in also detecting and cutting after the printing was done. I'm assuming the Summa workflow is going to be similar.
Thanks in advance for any help someone wants to send our way!

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
Gosign should have already already installed the plugin for the registration marks
Go to File, Summa Gosign, Opos cam registration marks. There are four different types of registration marks there. I will create a layer with the registration marks place. Then expand the art work board to fit around the marks.

Olen Myhre

Thank you for the response. I didn't even know that plugins were in that location of the menus in Illustrator. With our previous app FineCut, I had always gone to Window/Mimaki FineCut and that opened a floating toolbar to do everything in.
I just looked and the Mimaki version is still in there obviously, but the GoSign is not listed there. The only thing I did was install GoSign and then it tried to start the setup process but our plotter is not network connected so I go nowhere with it. Is there additional steps I need to do in order for the plugin to show up in Illustrator?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Download summa cutter tools and that will let you install the plugins. Not sure if it can be done straight from gosign or not.

Olen Myhre

That worked balstestrat ! In the Illustrator File menu, Suma GoSign is now listed and it will add marks.
Now I could possibly save this as EPS file and send to our RIP for printing.
However, once printed, would I have to use GoSign to cut the contours? It appears GoSign only works with network connected devices and our is USB and serial only.

Olen Myhre

Hmm. OK. Guess I go see if I can find a GoSign crash coarse on YouTube somewhere. Not familiar with the software at all.

Olen Myhre

Yeah you use gosign and it should also work on usb.
Yeah, I've watched the tutorial and yeah, I see that even USB connected devices work because the one he uses in the video is setup that way.
However, my setup process shows no devices (I only have 1). I've even tried uninstalling and re-installing GoSign with a reboot inbetween. It still launches the device setup process and I don't have anything listed.
Any advice?

cornholio

To use OPOS CAM, the recognition of the marks is done on the PC by a software called "camera control" on the old S-Class cutters. On the actual S2 cutters, you'd need to run cutter control for mark recognition. You could install Winplot for cutting and use the Gosign Tools (Plugins) to create the marks in the actual Illustrator versions. For older Illustrator versions, use Cutter tools to install the Plugin.

Attachments

• OPOS-CAM Troubleshooting.pdf
    546.6 KB · Views: 92