• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S3

ikarasu

Which is the whole benefit of the camera, circle marks and non-linear
Whats the issue with the USB, the cable length or just not having the PC nearby at all? Have ethernet near by?

Ever try one of these? https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Extender-Connection-150-Feet-106042/dp/B003L14ZTC We used it for our old graphtec that didn't have Cat5... it works pretty good, only hiccuped once or twice over the year we used it, an an unplug / replug fixed it. I imagine the more expensive $1-200 versions work better with zero hiccups as well.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Whats the issue with the USB, the cable length or just not having the PC nearby at all? Have ethernet near by?

Ever try one of these? https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Extender-Connection-150-Feet-106042/dp/B003L14ZTC We used it for our old graphtec that didn't have Cat5... it works pretty good, only hiccuped once or twice over the year we used it, an an unplug / replug fixed it. I imagine the more expensive $1-200 versions work better with zero hiccups as well.
None of those, you are dedicated to 1 PC 1 machine which becomes limiting. Unless the new on-machine camera processing eliminates that restriction, but based on what I have been hearing it sounds like it hasn't.

FrankW

Until S-Class 2 (not shure about S-Class 3), the camera was driven by a windows software (integrated into Summa Cutter Control for S-Class 2), not by the cutters firmware itself. And this software can´t work with the camera over network, an USB-connection was mandatory.

Apart from that USB is limited in cable length, the summa cutters (until S-Class 2) can handle job input over one port at a time only. When booting the cutter, all ports are open, but as soon as sending data over USB, the Ethernet port is closed (or the other way round) until you boot up the cutter the next time. So if doing contour jobs and vinyl jobs from different computers, RIP-server connected with USB and vinyl job PCs by network, you need to reboot the cutter everytime when switching from contour jobs to vinyl jobs and the other way round.

I hope that at minimum the common OPOS-rectangles are processed on the mainboard now.

bigben

Does the camera is now compatible with Mac? I run Caldera via a mac mini and was told the camera only work on a pc with the S2. I'm not totally convinced the camera is a really good value either. The take-up tho, I will take it for sure.

bigben

Does anyone have a real world example for the creasing tool? Normally, I see this on rigid material but not on roll material.

Saturn

Aging Member
It's not for roll material. It's got the sheet feeding feature for cardstock parent sheets
For the new creasing feature, I imagined it being good on something like this—which is a 10mil paper, on rolls.

Could be awesome for one-off or really tiny runs of custom boxes and/or prototypes. But I doubt it's up to the task of being purchased exclusively for that. I'd love to try it out though!

JBurton

Signtologist
I would be that since the machine is already a tangential cutter, the cost of engineering a creasing wheel was so cheap for such a feature that they threw it in without a second thought. A sheet feeding feature definitely makes it more worth while, but such a large investment for a creaser makes no sense.

Saturn

Aging Member
Yeah, I assume the creasing ball is little more than a software update to use the old pen/pounce hole to offer creasing too—alongside flexcut or regular cuts in jobs. Still cool! Maybe a little physical "beefing up" of things in the second tool slot on the head to add durability?

As far as I can tell, there's nothing new in the "sheet" department from the S2 to the S3? There is a small sheet fed stacker that's advertised with S1's, but the S2 already had a "sheet mode" that allowed you to feed (or even repeat on a roll) identical sheets with the same regmarks, sans barcode. Maybe I missed something else new?

But yeah, comparing apples to apples, the non-camera S2 and new non-camera S3 look identical aside from the crease wheel and Tron light. Like I told Ikarasu in another thread, I'd be looking for used or discounted S2's if I was in the market and wanted to save $, as there's effectively zero difference for general use, and the S2 is rock solid for those of us that depend on them.

That said, I'd be very tempted to buy an S3 if one of my S2's goes down, just because I've loved the S2's so much and from the looks of things, that quality continues with the S3.

bigben

Yeah, I assume the creasing ball is little more than a software update to use the old pen/pounce hole to offer creasing too—alongside flexcut or regular cuts in jobs. Still cool! Maybe a little physical "beefing up" of things in the second tool slot on the head to add durability?

As far as I can tell, there's nothing new in the "sheet" department from the S2 to the S3? There is a small sheet fed stacker that's advertised with S1's, but the S2 already had a "sheet mode" that allowed you to feed (or even repeat on a roll) identical sheets with the same regmarks, sans barcode. Maybe I missed something else new?

But yeah, comparing apples to apples, the non-camera S2 and new non-camera S3 look identical aside from the crease wheel and Tron light. Like I told Ikarasu in another thread, I'd be looking for used or discounted S2's if I was in the market and wanted to save $, as there's effectively zero difference for general use, and the S2 is rock solid for those of us that depend on them.

That said, I'd be very tempted to buy an S3 if one of my S2's goes down, just because I've loved the S2's so much and from the looks of things, that quality continues with the S3.
I currently have a D160R that begin to show it's age and was looking for the S3 tangatial with the take-up. Since two years, we are doing large run of cut vinyl and diecut sticker. The current cutter have sometime difficulty do work a full day without a problem. I'm interested to know more about the camera, but since I'm using Caldera on a Mac, I was told it wasn't compatible.

Cand you give some reviews for dicut sticker on your current S2?

DonutSlinger

My S2T died after about a year and a half of use after a few other problems. I knew I was in for some trouble after the roller lever broke off after a few months. Looks like that lever is still the same of the S3. Anyway I was happy once the S2T stopped working and got a few more Graphtec's.
My main board died on my S2 within the first year and has since always acted sluggish. Summa did repair it for free and got on it. but their electronics seem lacking. Great machines in their own sense. Can't decide between graphtec fc9000 or summa s2 class. Both have their cons.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
My main board died on my S2 within the first year and has since always acted sluggish. Summa did repair it for free and got on it. but their electronics seem lacking. Great machines in their own sense. Can't decide between graphtec fc9000 or summa s2 class. Both have their cons.
What do you mean by sluggish? You activate G-performance on it and vinyl freaking flies around in your room.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
FWIW, I hate our FC9000. Recently bought an S2 but have not set it up yet, hopefully it is as good as what most users say it is.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You and your weird flash drive fetish! Want to ship that 9000 my way?
There's more where that came from.
I'll probably end up keeping it so I don't have to deal with the stupid questions you get when you sell things. It cuts regular vinyl fine but is worthless for anything else unless you have time and prints to waste.