• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa T 160 Blade scratching while moving across vinyl

Zac

Mediocre Designer
Is there a way to adjust the tool height when it moves from one object to another when cutting? The height is always super low and causes scratching with some thicker materials if it's even slightly rolled.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Kre8r,

Although it is possible to raise the height of the tool, we do not recommend doing so because it can affect the cut quality. The better solution to this problem would be to add an additional pinch wheel or perhaps more than one depending on how much a pucker there is in the material. The kit for installing an additional wheel is called a media select assembly and the cost is under $400 for all the parts you should need.

Before you go to that step I would first check to make sure you are using the correct black nosepiece with the thick materials blade and also that you don't have too much blade exposed. A lot of people will make an adjustment to the depth of the blade rather than the knife pressure when cutting thicker materials which is actually the opposite of what we recommend. So, before you install and extra pinch wheel I would first check to ensure you have that proper nose piece installed and that your blade depth and pressure settings are setup correctly.

If you need further assistance please feel free to contact our support team at (800)323-9766 and they can assist you further.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

airborneassault

We run into the same issue regularly. I wasn't aware we could buy a kit to add pinchwheels which would be a huge benefit.

That said I have used the pictured method more than a few times to help keep the material down....please excuse the green tape usually I double side tape the swab with banner hem tape. You just have to be careful to not get too much downward pressure it just lightly needs to touch the material to keep it down away from the blade and pay extra close attention when you do the alignments sometimes it will want to snag the edge of the material. Works in a pinch but not ideal by any means.

Phil - Thank you for all you contribute to the forum, you've saved me more than once!

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 494

reQ

Lol, that swab is a brilliant idea. I will try it today when i will be cutting thick snowmobile decals... always same problem with them

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Been doing that same swab thing for years with ours. I like using a cotton swab - seems less "grabby" on the material. Works great. :)

ProColorGraphics

Whenever I have that issue, I just adjust the blade depth by unscrewing it a little so it doesn't stick out so far and adjust the cutting force accordingly. Always works for me. I did also add 2 extra pinch rollers so I have a total of 6 of my 54" cutter.

Bly

Haha awesome thanks for the tip.. just had to do this on our new 160T.
Gotta love dropping 20k on a new bit of gear and having to hack with masking tape.

AF

Haha awesome thanks for the tip.. just had to do this on our new 160T.
Gotta love dropping 20k on a new bit of gear and having to hack with masking tape.

That puts your total ownership cost at $20,000.01! :Big Laugh

Bly

Actually just had this problem again even with the swab attachment - and finally realised there's a special nose piece for thick media.
Problem sorted.