• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help swapping white print head for a color print head - advice from more experienced appreciated

nicubila

We run a Agfa Aapurna MW, with KM512 14pl print heads for color, and KM512 42pl for white. Printer has recirculation and mixing system for white ink.

When we bought the printer a couple of months ago, the white heads were badly clogged and no chance to recover them.

Now we have 2 spare KM512 14pl from the Lm and Lc. We will not use them for sure, CMKY profile is just fine for us.
We also do not want to buy a new KM512 42pl as it costs $$$ and we will use white only to print diferent layouts on keyboards, and never in conjunction with colors.

So my question is: what is the best option:
1. Buy white ink compatible with KM512 14pl in terms of viscosity (range 6-42pl, high quality ink from jetbest Taiwan). Then just replace the white (42pl) with the Lm 14pl printhead. I will have then all the reciculation system for white. The only concern is that 42pl fire at 7.6KLhz, while 14pl at 12.8Khz. (https://www.konicaminolta.com/global-en/inkjethead/products/inkjethead/512/spec.html). How relevbant is this frequency?
2. Use the Lm circuit for white. I can easily use the Lm to make spot print. Problem remains of recirculation of white ink. I can adjust here the Lm circuit and include a pump to recirculate continuously (least preferred option).
3. Use Lm to fire the print head at the right frequency, but use the white ink circuit. How? don't know yet

to my knowledge firing at lower frequency (7.6Khz) should not affect the health of the printhead. What i can expect is less ink on the media (should not be a problem i think)

now if you have any idea, suggestions, more than welcome, ready to try them out.

thank you
Marius

nicubila

UPDATE: after thinking it through, I am now considering that to actually change the RIP software settings rather then previously mentioned options. As the printer thinks that it sends 42pl, but it is sending only 14pl, it is expected to have low quality outcome.
So anyone can suggest on how this can be done with software like onyx or colorgate?